Sexton & King

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

Annie

Sexton & King

Post by Annie » Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:35 am

Hi All
I posted on here a few years back & received the most wonderful & warm help...so am hoping that somebody can help me with this query.

My GG Grannie....Honor Sexton came to Australia in 1867.....married a convict & now there are generations who are living here. Her parents were Thomas Sexton & Johanna Anglim & she had a brother Thomas & a sister Bridget. Only in the last few weeks, after searching for ages...I have found that Bridget also came out to Australia in 1880....widowed with 3 small children....the youngest dying on the voyage here. She had married a Thomas Croghan & he has died very young. She went on to remarry Honor's Husband's brother & had many more children.

I am now on a mission to find the family of the brother Thomas that stayed in Clare. I have quite a bit of info...he took over the family farm in Frehane Knockanalban & married Mary Mealy in 1869. Now they had a daughter Bridget in 1880 who married a Patrick King in 1909 & they took over the farm. They went on to have 6 children of which one was Patrick Joseph King....known as Sunny? I have seen a pic of his headstone in Kildimo Graveyard & he only passed in 2005 aged 89.

I have been told the Family farm was sold & that his grave is well tended. I guess what I am looking for is any family that is out there who is related to this twig in my tree. I think one of his sisters.....maybe Catherine...married a David Twomey?

Hope this is not too long winded...but hoping somebody recognises these names & can help me get in touch with any family.

Thanking you for reading.

Cheers......Annie

Paddy Casey

Re: Sexton & King

Post by Paddy Casey » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:01 pm

Annie,

You write "Patrick Joseph King....known as Sunny? I have seen a pic of his headstone in Kildimo Graveyard & he only passed in 2005 aged 89..............I think one of his sisters.....maybe Catherine...married a David Twomey?"

Now, I may be one or two generations out here but here's a couple of nuggets that you might want to look at:

- there is a David Twomey in the Eircom phonebook at 32 Primrose Gdns Clarecastle Ennis (065)6844893. You might want to give him a call. All you can lose is the cost of the call

- there is a young-looking Catherine Twomey helping to present a cheque for €1000 to management and staff of the Clarecastle and District Daycare Centre ata http://clarepeople.photoshelter.com/ima ... T8ECwYjEm8 She can presumably be contacted through the Ibrickane Golf Society and might be able to give you a lead.

Paddy

Annie

Post by Annie » Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:01 am

Thanks Paddy

Might pop off a few lines to David....prob be a bit cheaper than a phone call from Aus. Do you need any postcode after the Ennis?

The age for the Catherine could fit in.....Catherine Sexton & David Twomey were married in 1939....

Thanks again.....one small step.....

Annie

Paddy Casey

Post by Paddy Casey » Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:03 am

Hi Annie,

I'm not sure that the dates fit. If Catherine Sexton married in 1939 she would be roughly 95 years old now. That lady in the photo is not 95 years old.

No need for a postcode. "32 Primrose Gdns, Clarecastle, Ennis, Co.Clare, Eire/Republic of Ireland" will suffice.

By the way, at http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclar ... pions1.htm there is a Catherine Sexton of Craggaknock listed as marrying on 5-Feb-1938. In the previous line there is another Catherine Sexton with an obituary in 1946. If you have not already done so you might like to peruse the Twomeys at http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclar ... piont2.htm

Paddy

Annie

Post by Annie » Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:40 am

Thanks Paddy...I was thinking maybe a daughter?

I will do a snail mail tomorrow....ta again......& look at all those Sextons!

Annie

Paddy Casey

Post by Paddy Casey » Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:14 am

Annie wrote:I will do a snail mail tomorrow....ta again......& look at all those Sextons!
Best of luck, Annie. Please do let us know here whether you were successful.

Paddy

mgallery

Post by mgallery » Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:16 pm

http://sextonofkilmurryibrickaneparish.blogspot.fr

Kildimo is beside the crosses of Annagh in West Clare. There are lots of Sextons in the area
http://oac.ie/site/content/kildimo-graveyard. You could contact OAC and see if they could help .
Twomey is a not uncommon name in Clare. Clarecastle is more than 20 miles away and is not that obvious a lead though of course it may be I think I would first explore more nearer possibilitiies

You could try a post on ireland reaching out for both Kilmurry Ibrickane parish and Kilfarboy parish

Annie

Post by Annie » Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:12 am

Hi Paddy

Just an update on my quest for info on my Sexton/King family.

Thanks for the address...it looks like I might have struck gold! I received an email from David Twomey & he thought the David Twomey I was talking about may have been his father's Uncle & he was going to pass it onto his Uncle that had done some research.

So yesterday I received an email & it turns out that yes....Catherine King married his Uncle & one of their sons lives in Miltown Malbay & he was actually visiting him that day! so wow....I was definitely hopping around the house with excitement!

The Catherine in the pic in the paper is his brother's wife....so look what has come from that pic.....I am so grateful for your help Paddy.

So fingers crossed I can get to know that twig in my tree....because I think that the son may be a 3rd cousin....

This forum is so wonderful....that is twice that I received such warm helpful help.

Cheers Annie

Paddy Casey

Post by Paddy Casey » Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:07 am

Great stuff, Annie ! So pleased to have helped and so good of those people to get back to you with all that information. Once again the Eircom phone book has turned out to be useful for finding people and that press photo of Catherine Twomey was a lucky hit.

Don't hesitate to keep us up to date with the subsequent developments.

Paddy