Mocavo.com

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

mgallery

Mocavo.com

Post by mgallery » Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:03 am

I am getting good results with the (free) Mocavo.com search. I ran several google searches on Daniel Gallery of Montreal (MP and Alderman). It seemed some new material was online.

After doing so I ran a search with Mocavo and got some more results. It pulled up the street directories of the time

Try it its quite good

Someone commended me for all the research I had done (half an hour) so for those not used to google or search her are some tips

Search for the name and variations with words that may get a historical answer
Do use google.ie or google.ca (will get different results)
eg "Daniel Gallery" alderman Montreal returns different results than "Daniel Gallery" Catholic Education Montreal or "Daniel Gallery " Presentation brothers Montreal
"Dan Gallery" or " D. Gallery" return more results again
"Dan Gallery " Griffintown gave yet again different results

Try using the google search filetype parameter (syntax filetype:pdf "Daniel Gallery alderman Montreal ) and search on pdfs. This again returned different answers.
If you get a large pdf or book you can usually search within it using ctrl (or cmd on a mac) f. Download the doc if you can its faster.

Bing got one result I did not have but had seen before
Mocavo.com got a few more

If you get one of those paid newspaper search sites and you want a result remember that some public libraries in the US will look up a reference for you for a small fee using a volunteer. Rochester public libraries charged me 15 dollars.

If you get an article or book with interesting references check their footnotes and references and consult the original if you can, you often get that little bit more info (not always) . I find anyplace with a private archive the archivists very helpful

More stuff goes up online all of the time every few months have another search

If you want to ask someone questions directly read what they have written first. I have had queries over the last few weeks from one guy who said he knew little (a lot more than me) and from one person who said they had printed a paper I wrote and at some point would absorb it (I took that as had not read it) and proceeded to ask me several questions all answered in the paper.
Margaret
Margaret