Tubber snippets: Burnell, O'Connor

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

Paddy Casey

Tubber snippets: Burnell, O'Connor

Post by Paddy Casey » Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:28 pm

Peter Beirne at the Local Studies Centre in Ennis is aware of my interest in families of the parish of Tubber/Kilkeedy in North Clare (contiguous with the border between Co.Clare and Co.Galway) and regularly flags to me Tubber nuggets which pop up in his scans of Clare news sources. To maximise the chances of such information being available to other Clare/Tubber local history hounds I am flagging two of them here so that they be exposed to the search engines.

In “The Saturday Record” for 27th June 1931, page 7, a reference to two Tubber persons:
- Raised to the priesthood - Rev. P. O’Connor, a native of Tubber
- Games of the Gael - Tom Burnell, a native of Tubber and member of the Garda Club and his brother Mick. Tom was lining out in a match against Cork.

In the Clare Champion of 8 January 1931 the death of John Burnell of Knockatermon, Tubber (see also http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclar ... n18_10.htm)

Paddy

mgallery

Re: Tubber snippets: Burnell, O'Connor

Post by mgallery » Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:54 pm

Are you also interested in Gort then Paddy as there is a family who had a mill and bakery there I am interested in Lancelot Spenser Mangan

Paddy Casey

Post by Paddy Casey » Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:29 pm

I'm afraid Gort is just off my genealogical radar screen even if I do spend time there when plodding the Tubber sod so my knowledge is limited there. For me the Gort oracle is Sister Mary de Lourdes Fahy R.S.M. who has an office at the Kiltartan Gregory Museum && Millennium Park, Kiltartan Cross, Gort, Co. Galway, tel. 091 - 632346, E-mail: mlf1892@eircom.net Some time back she gave me some very interesting background on schooling practices in the area in times gone by. A couple of weeks ago she was scheduled to lead an historical walking tour of Gort but it was called off at the last moment for reasons unknown to me.

Paddy

mgallery

Post by mgallery » Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:07 pm

Well I have found one tubber related thing out in the last while though not sure if of interest. My gt gt grandfather was Martin Taaffe of Erinagh and Drumcavin. Patricia Norrington has been researching Elizabeth Eager who was recommended for a job by Martin Taaffe. She was connected to the Tubber Taaffes. From the funeral reports I have it does not look like the families were closely related, which is what the Tubber Taaffes said...