Maloney/Moloney from Whitegate

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

Do you also have ancestors from Whitegate?

Poll ended at Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:11 pm

Would you be willing to e'mail me with the details?
No votes
Not at this time.
No votes

Total votes: 0

Alice

Maloney/Moloney from Whitegate

Post by Alice » Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:11 pm

Researching my great-grandmother, Eliza Maloney, who was born in Whitegate, Clare circa 1843. Around the time of the famine the family moved to somewhere in England most likely to find work and save for their emigration to North America.

Apparently my g-grandmother. Eliza, was an independent young lady and at a tender age decided to stay on in England where she met and married Thomas Kelly. Their marriage record has eluded me for decades without which I am unable to learn the names of her parents. Without these important names I cannot learn about my family's roots in Whitegate.

Would appreciate any suggestions as to [1] where most people from Clare would have landed in England and from [2] what port most of them would have left for North America [3] where did the majority of Clare folks land in North America.

BTW: Whitegate, during that time period, was part of Galway.

Any information and/or suggestions gratefully appreciated. :)
Malone/Maloney/Moloney

Paddy Casey

Eliza Maloney of Whitegate and Thomas Kelly

Post by Paddy Casey » Sun Apr 01, 2007 7:01 am

Alice,

This isn't an answer to your question but do I understand correctly that you have searched the England and Wales marriage indexes for a marriage of Eliza Maloney and Thomas Kelly (with spelling variants) around 1863 +/- 5 years and drawn a blank ?

Interestingly, I see that a Betsy Malony is listed under Whitegate in the 1855 Griffiths survey, which makes one wonder whether part of the family stayed on there, possibly to the present day and possibly under another surname. Betsy Malony may have been a widow and may have remarried and thus taken another name which is listed in the 1901 census.

Paddy

debfall

Whitegate map Approx. 1842/Maloney

Post by debfall » Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:15 pm

Alice: I found a WONDERFUL map of Whitegate on the internet. It is prefamine and I believe abt. late 1830's or early 1840's. It is hand drawn from the memory of someone who lived there at the time.
The address was http://www.visitclare.net OR http://www.visitclare.net/gfx/PreFaminieMap.jpg I hope you are able to bring this up I found it very interesting. My family was from Mountshannon.I found Patrick Malone and a Morton Maloney living here.
Good Luck... Debbie

Alice

Post by Alice » Tue May 08, 2007 6:45 pm

Thank you Paddy and Debbie for your replies and suggestions. It is very much appreciated. Hopefully one day we will all find what we are looking for. ;-)
Alice

abbeyfield

Post by abbeyfield » Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:47 pm

Hello Alice,Knowing myself what it is like to search for years for a record you have my sincere sympathy,however that is by no means enough,so since the marriage certificate you seek almost certainly exists let's see if we can work out where the marriage was registered.I believe that most Irish emigrants to England,including my own gt.grandfather would have landed in Liverpool,some almost certainly went to Wales and some mainly from Ulster would have gone to Scotland.Here in England we have we have a wonderful site for searching for marriages,as well as births and deaths,so if the marriage was registered we will find it.I will get back to you when I have done my first search which I will centre on the Liverpool registration districts.
Fingers crossed
abbeyfield

abbeyfield

Eliza Maloney

Post by abbeyfield » Fri Jul 27, 2007 1:04 am

Hi Alice,I have now fully searched the freeBMD site for England & Wales from the March quarter of 1858 to the Dec.quarter of 1878,the results are very poor indeed,all that is recorded is Mark Kelly & Elizabeth Malone in the Mar.quarter of 1863 in the registration district of Houghton in Co.Durham,in N.E.England.In sheer desperation I then conducted a general search of the site for every registration district in England & Wales the results were every bit as bad as for my first search and yielded only Thomas Kelly and Elizabeth Malone in the June quarter of 1899,far to late I fear.The freeBMD site does not give total coverage as yet,but it does hold many millions of records and gives a good pointer as to whether a marriage was registered or not.At this time in the search it looks as if Eliza and Thomas may just have set up home together,this was quite usual in those days,far more often than most people imagine.I think you may have to manually search the marriage records for England & Wales at http://www.ancestry.co.uk which do give virtually total coverage.Last time I used the site the BMD registers were free to search after you register.One last feint hope,do you know of a child of the couple who was born in either England or Wales?It would certainly give the search fresh impetus.Let me know through this site if you can think of anything else.
In the meantime good luck with your research.
abbeyfield.

jjaob

Whitegate TAB

Post by jjaob » Fri Jul 27, 2007 5:59 pm

Hi Alice,

I may be of interest to have a look at the Tithe Applotment Book for the Parish of Clonrush. This civil parish contains the townland and town of Whitegate, Barony of Leitrim, Co. Galway, in 1830.

Clonrush (Mountshannon) is now part of Co. Clare. Parish records start at 1846 for births and marraiges.

The Tithe Book is dated 8th April 1830. Eliza's father could be listed in this survey (NLI microfilm: TAB 41, Parish Ref. 11/107).

Regards, John O'Brien