Does anyone recognize this house in Cratlo?

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

Victoria

Does anyone recognize this house in Cratlo?

Post by Victoria » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:44 pm

I am from the Mac/McMahon and McInerny family lines.
Just to begin I am attaching a photo of a house that belonged to my great-grandmother's family, McInerney(her maiden name). The back of the photo reads:

Birthplace Kathleen Mary MacMahon(my grandmother).
County Clare-Cratlo- near Limerick
Aunt Babs Begley(nee MacMahon) on lawn.

Recently I have had some interesting possibilities as to the chance the house is still standing. I have only a guess as to when this photo was taken but it could be the 1920's, maybe slightly later. And that while Kathleen may have been born(1884) there, still the house was owned by the McInerney family as her mother was Ellen McInerney(maiden) and many daughters did return to their family home to give birth as I under stand. The lady on the lawn would have been related.
I am hoping someone might recognize this house as it's size was large for it's day.

As I tried to resize the photo for hours with no success, have included the url to a photo of the house, if you click on the photo it should enlarge a bit.
Thanking in advance for any help.
http://s1033.photobucket.com/user/Kislanya2/slideshow/

mgallery

Re: Does anyone recognize this house in Cratlo?

Post by mgallery » Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:51 pm

Its normally spelt Cratloe. Try the 1911 census search on the national archives website. This only shows one family of Mcinerneys. You may recognise the names. People often say they come from a town that they lived close to |(which may not be their postal address). You may need to look at a map get the townlands close to Cratloe and look for other McInerneys. One you have the the townland you will find the house

nagten

Re: Does anyone recognize this house in Cratlo?

Post by nagten » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:05 pm

I have a baptism in Cratloe of Michael McMahon 30 Dec 1834. Parents Thomas McMahon and Maria McInerney
Sponsors William Quane & Maria McMahon

pwaldron

Re: Does anyone recognize this house in Cratloemoyle?

Post by pwaldron » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:53 pm

The house is in the townland of Cratloemoyle. I am waiting for someone who has promised to give me a current photograph of it.