Annie Lingard

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

AnnS

Annie Lingard

Post by AnnS » Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:27 am

I am hoping to find out more about my great grand mother Ann/Annie LINGARD. She was born about 1875 in Co Clare, father Thomas Lingard and mother Catherine Murphy. A few years back I ordered research by Clare Family History Centre in Corofin, but they had no record of her birth or christening, or of Thomas Lingard marrying Catherine Murphy. Ann Lingard appeared in Clare Court in 1872 as a servant from Cooga being sued by her employer Ellen Curtin for quitting her employment before the agreed term. She emmigrated to Australia in 1874/5 and married John Silva (a Portuguese sailor) in Melbourne in 1889, she was aged 32. She had 4 children: Nora (before marriage), John (dec), another John (my grand father) and Martha Mary. She died in Geelong Australia in 1933. Does any one know how (or if) she fits in to the Co Clare Lingard family? I have sources for this information and more about her family and life in Australia.

Lucille

Re: Annie Lingard

Post by Lucille » Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:42 pm

Cooga seems to be right. Here is a Thomas Lingard in Cooga in the Tithe Applotments in 1843

http://titheapplotmentbooks.nationalarc ... rch=Search

Lucille

miriam scahill

Post by miriam scahill » Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:31 pm

Is your date of 1875 right. .? ? Census of 1911 for. Cooga. In. Ruan shows. J.Thomas Lingard aged 84. - His son Henry - aged. 51. and Henry's two daughters. - Margory and Maud. Miriam.

pj.culligan

Post by pj.culligan » Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:42 pm

Maybe Catherine Murphy was his second wife as his wife listed on this tombstone is "Maria"
http://foto.clarelibrary.ie/fotoweb/Gri ... mit=Search...

AnnS

Post by AnnS » Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:05 am

Thanks for all the feedback. Annie claimed to be 32 in 1889 when she married so she would born about 1857. There appears to be two Thomas Lingards, and well as a John Thomas (who is 84 in the 1911 census). The Griffiths valuation 1855 shows Thomas Lingard at various parishes and Thomas Lingard Snr at Cooga, father and son? Possibly one married to Maria and the other to Catherine.

mgallery

Post by mgallery » Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:53 pm

Thomas Lingard of Cooga house Ruan was married to a cousin of mine Maria Kenny daughter or William Kenny. She had ten children He was widowed in 1851. He served at the battle of Waterloo so must have been old enough then - in his 70s. He did not remarry. He was quite well off and had land in several parishes.

His name was actually John Thomas he used thomas. He did not have a son called thomas that I know of (I know of 8 or 9 or his children) he had one called John Thomas who became a JP. John thomas was a local landowner and married Charity (Cherry) Roberts. There are pictures of the Lingards on Clare library website.

I did notice another family of Lingards in Ennis I could not track down. His family were quite well off his 10 children mostly emigrated. They were sent to military school and educated in Edinburgh university so does not fit in with your Anne obviously. thomas Lingard had a daughter called Anna maria who married a doctor called John Madigan. This makes another daughter Anne unlikely but not impossible

regards

Margaret

mgallery

Post by mgallery » Thu May 27, 2021 3:13 pm

Hi

i am looking at the Lingards again and have identified several descendants of Thomas Lingard of Cooga with dna on ancestry s, one through his daughter Anna Maria and 2 in New Zealand descendants of his son Roger Rowson Lingard . So if you have done your dna it would be worth revisiting this and seeing if you get matches. They are all on ancestry
One of the descendants in Ireland sent me a picture of a portrait of Thomas Lingard
kind regards

Margaret

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Sat May 29, 2021 9:42 am

This might be the Thomas Lingard who fought at Waterloo:
Clare Journal, Thur 14 Aug 1856:
Deaths. On yesterday, at Lahinch, after a lingering illness, and to the deep affliction of his family, Thomas Lingard, Esq., of Cooga, in this County, aged 67 years.
Sheila