O'Halloran in Clare

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

kelpie

O'Halloran in Clare

Post by kelpie » Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:24 pm

Hello all

I am posting this in the hope that someone here may be able to help me. My ancestors are Irish and I *think* they are from Clare according to family gossip but I have no direct proof yet.

My great grandfather was Michael O'Halloran who moved to the Glasgow area and married Mary McGhee in 1869, at that time both John's parents were given as dead. His parents were John O'Halloran and Mary Marne (sometimes shown as Morran and once, possibly, as Bridget Morran). Both parents are listed as born in Ireland but with no further details. I have searched everywhere I can think of to try to trace John, Mary and Michael (and possible a sister called Jenny) but to no avail.

Michael was born around 1846 and died in 1905 in Glasgow, he doesn't appear in the 1861 census for Glasgow but married in 1869 so I am assuming he moved there between 1861 and 1869.

I don't have any dates for John or Mary but John is listed as a cab driver on Michael's marriage certificate. I don't know whether John and Mary also moved to Glasgow or whether they died in Ireland.

I know it as all a little vague and that has made it all the more difficult for me. Does any of it ring any bells with anyone at all?

Any information would be gratefully received. Thanks for any help.

matthewmacnamara

Re: O'Halloran in Clare

Post by matthewmacnamara » Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:50 pm

In the nineteenth century there were O'Halloran and
Murrane neighbouring farming families in the Cratloe / Bunratty area.