Patrick Farrell and Margaret Kennelly

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

Ellen

Patrick Farrell and Margaret Kennelly

Post by Ellen » Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:20 pm

For several decades I have searched for my great great grandparents Patrick Farrell and Margaret Kennelly. Patrick was born in County Clare (per dc) probably in 1854 or 1855 to John and Catherine Farrell. Margaret Kennelly was born to Edward Kennelly and Bridget Connors in either 1858 or 1866 in County Clare or Limerick. The two married in Detroit, Michigan in 1885. We think that both came to America by 1880, probably in the 1870s. We do not know how they met. Patrick may have come to America with his parents John and Catherine and possibly a brother named William.

Our Irish genealogist feels that the Farrell name was/is particularly strong in East Clare (Scarriff/Ogonnelloe?). So we are focusing our search in East Clare. So far neither the genealogist nor the Clare Heritage Center could find records for the birth of a Patrick Farrell that fits his specifics. Of course records were unevenly maintained in different areas. My mother, who recently passed at 97, attended Patrick's funeral in 1924 in Detroit. But, back them, few people had time for discussing genealogy. Without a baptismal record, we are stuck!

We have already connected with other relatives in Ireland. My sister and I are visiting them in July and are very excited. We would love to learn something about our Farrell/Kennelly past before we make the trip. Does anyone have suggestions, particularly for searching for the births of Patrick Farrell, and his parents John and Catherine Farrell in County Clare? Sometimes even word of mouth works I guess! Maybe fellow Farrells will spread this query around the county? Are there some unofficial "oral historians" around who might have long memories? We have contacted a few Catholic parishes in East Clare, but to no avail. And the East Clare Heritage Center never answered me. Crossing my fingers that someone can help us. Ellen Sward esward2@gmail.com Sacramento, California USA
Last edited by Ellen on Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Paddy Casey

Re: Patrick Farrell and Margaret Kennelly

Post by Paddy Casey » Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:05 pm

Hi Ellen,

You write "...the East Clare Heritage Center never answered me." I've often found that a phone call triggers things that an email doesn't so if you haven't already called them, and since your trip is imminent, you might like to call them at +41 61 921351.

Just an idea.

Hope you enjoy your visit to Clare.

Paddy