Quigley, Green, Doloughty, McNamara, Hynes, Magrath, Cunneen

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

smcarberry

Quigley, Green, Doloughty, McNamara, Hynes, Magrath, Cunneen

Post by smcarberry » Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:55 pm

Paddy Casey told me about this new resource about two weeks ago. I immediately found a handful of Clare-related items
in the "free content," and below is that group. The link is: http://newspapers.bl.uk/blcs/

Sharon Carberry USA

All items are from a London newspaper, The Penny Illustrated Paper And Illustrated Times.

4 Mar 1871 p. 131
On Sunday night an armed party attacked the houses of two farmers, named Macnamara, at Lissaffin near Tulla, in the county of Clare, demolished the windows with stones, and fired several shots into the house, killing [illegible word in my notes]. Five of the men were recognised and have been arrested and committed for trial. Four of them are named Magrath. The supposed cause...is that the Macnamaras were about to become tenants of land adjoining the Magraths'.

9 Feb 1878 p. 83 [not stated as involving Clare people but there surnames are involved with East Clare]
A laborer named Cunneen, has been arrested at Limerick on suspicion of having murdered Mary Donnellan and her child, whose bodies have been found in a manure heap near that town. Cunneen had cohabited with the poor woman.

19 Aug 1882 p. 123
Sentence of Death in Dublin
The trial of Francis Hynes for the wilful murder of John Doloughty, at Knockanane, near Ennis, in the county of Clare, was concluded last Satruday. Mr. Justice Lawson, in the sentencing the prisoner to be hanged on Sept. 11, said...[he] had no doubt that the prisoner had been emboldened to commit the crime by the impunity with which crime had gone so long unpunished in the county of Clare...

22 May 1886 p. 331
Patrick Quigley, a respectable farmer at Knockjames, four miles from Tulla in the county of Clare, was shot dead on Sunday night while sitting at his own fireside. A number of shots were fired through the window, inflicting shocking wounds on the unfortunate man's head. The crime is agrarian, Quigley having recently taken a boycotted grazing farm.

18 Sep 1886 p. 190
Another agrarian murder has occurred in Ireland. A farmer named James Green, had recently taken a farm for grazing at a place called Kilmeany, about four miles from Tulla in the county of Clare. The farmer occupant of the farm was murdered four years ago, and since then it has been untenanted. On Saturday night as Mr. Green was proceeding home, he was shot dead by some persons unknown...

Paddy Casey

Re: Quigley, Green, Doloughty, McNamara, Hynes, Magrath, Cunneen

Post by Paddy Casey » Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:40 pm

Thanks for these, Sharon.

This data set is definitely worth a visit. It uses, as far as I can see, the same Gale newspapers database as that in which many of the Clare snippets posted months back on this forum were found. There must be masses of Clare stuff still in there to mine.

Paddy

pwaldron

Re:Doloughty, Hynes

Post by pwaldron » Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:13 am

For the full story of the execution of Francie Hynes for the shooting of John Doolaghty see `Outrage at Drumdoolaghty: The Francie Hynes Affair' by Philomena Butler in The Other Clare, Vol. 30, June 2006, pp.15-22.

Clare Admin

Post by Clare Admin » Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:46 am

Chapters 3 to 5 of the Delahunty Family History (donated by Catherine Delahunty, Dunedin, New Zealand,) deal extensively with the Francy Hynes murder.
Clare Admin

smcarberry

Post by smcarberry » Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:38 am

It is so good to see how mention of a news article can bring forth information on further resources...and that such further
resources exist. It certainly shows the value of this type of message board.

Although my time is stretched thin at the moment, I will try going back into that newspaper database and seeing what else
I can root out. It is all a matter of using keywords and sifting through search results. It is also essential to be able to read
small print and, for posting purposes, to be able to type (which for me means also being able to proof read). As Paddy C. said, it is like mining for gold for us history buffs.

Sharon C.

P.S. Also, Paddy W.: I have been meaning to tell you that, here in the U.S., my grandfather Frank's 1888 birth registration
(which I viewed at the City of Philadelphia Archives) has him down as "male Carberry" which I view as an instance of parents'
not being able to decide on his official legal forename. Once settled, he was thereafter always known simply as Frank, no variance over the years. With his own Clare-born/raised grandmother in the household at the time, this was very much an
Irish-oriented environment.

smcarberry

Post by smcarberry » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:41 am

This is a sequel to the first Hynes murder, so it is placed here. Found in The Graphic edition of 23 Aug 1884.

Sharon Carberry
McMahon murder, 1884 sequel to Hynes crime.jpg
John Macmahon, next Hynes land victim
McMahon murder, 1884 sequel to Hynes crime.jpg (37.22 KiB) Viewed 12577 times

smcarberry

Re: Quigley, Green, Doloughty, McNamara, Hynes, Magrath, Cun

Post by smcarberry » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:51 am

The EPPI website has a collection of petitions and affidavits submitted to the justice administrator involved with the Francis Hynes conviction. There was a mighty effort made to get the conviction overturned, but all failed and the execution took place. However, the collection of documents (first page shown here, as the entire pdf file is too large to attach) includes two lists of Clare residents (in the gentry class) which can almost serve as a census substitute, for August, 1882. There also happens to be an affidavit of a Miss Elizabeth Carberry, not a member of my own family, who became involved since she was able to describe facts supporting the defenders' claim that there had been juror misconduct at the Dublin hotel at which she and the jurors were staying during the time of the Hynes trial.

http://eppi.dippam.ac.uk/documents/1708 ... ges/454823

Sharon Carberry
Francis Hynes doc copies EPPI, first page.jpg
Francis Hynes doc copies EPPI, first page.jpg (70.37 KiB) Viewed 12050 times