Nuns in Ennis Convent

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

lenc

Nuns in Ennis Convent

Post by lenc » Sat May 24, 2014 1:06 pm

Does anyone know if there are records of Nuns in Ennis Convent in the early 1920's

smcarberry

Re: Nuns in Ennis Convent

Post by smcarberry » Sat May 24, 2014 6:43 pm

From a quick reading of the indicated website (link below), it appears that the Sisters of Mercy came to Ennis in 1854. A place to inquire about the convent records would be their archives in Dublin:

"The Archives also process enquiries which can come from relatives of deceased sisters or from researchers. Annals from each house and obituaries of deceased sisters are collected, collated and sent for printing. The annals are one of the most valuable sources of historical information available to succeeding generations of Mercy Sisters and to historians..."

http://www.sistersofmercy.ie/ireland_br ... chives.cfm

Good luck with that. Let us know how it goes, please.

Sharon Carberry

Declan Barron

Post by Declan Barron » Tue May 27, 2014 5:17 pm

'The Sisters of Mercy of Ennis' by Sister Pius O'Brien (ennis, 1992) lists all those who joined. Who were you looking for ?

mgallery

Post by mgallery » Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:30 pm

The archives are amazingly helpful. I researched some relatives and they could not have been better. Sister Pius is still alive we ended up going to meet her

This is the email I have for their archivist info@mercyarchives.ie. MArianne is lovely and bends over backwards to help. The nuns are buried in an old graveyard near Tesco where Canice(the ennis mother superior) kindly took me when a cousin visited.

rgds

Margaret

lenc

Post by lenc » Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:54 pm

Hi Thats brilliant thanks

I will follow up on these leads.

I am looking for a Laois girl Kathleen Brennan who I know married in Laois in 1925

I am intrigued by the link to Ennis convent and why she entered and left!

Thanks everyone

Lenc