Kilrush - Irish Civil registration indexes

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

David_Lynch

Kilrush - Irish Civil registration indexes

Post by David_Lynch » Thu May 01, 2014 3:20 pm

I have searched for and failed to find this mentioned before.

If you search the Irish Civil registration indexes using familysearch, if the event was in Kilrush Registration District, and you specify in the place field Ireland -> Clare, then you will find nothing. If you specify just Ireland or Ireland -> Other, you will find events.

A similar limitation exists on Ancestry.

I have reported this.

murf

Re: Kilrush - Irish Civil registration indexes

Post by murf » Thu May 01, 2014 11:13 pm

Thanks David for pointing this out. I hadn't realised this was happening, altho I was aware that search results from familysearch could be unpredictable.
I ran a few searches using the name Callinan. Putting "clare" in the place box and ticking "exact match" yields 349 results. This appears to consist of 119 Callinans from Corofin Reg District, 107 from Killadysert and 123 from Tulla. The search engine fails to recognise Kilrush(642) Ennistimon(577) Ennis(489) Ballyvaghan(258) and Scariff(358) as being in Clare.
All of these Registration Districts appear in the results if the place field is left blank, or if each District is individually named.

pwaldron

Re: Kilrush - Irish Civil registration indexes

Post by pwaldron » Sat May 03, 2014 6:18 pm

I discovered that this was one of the things which ancestry.com deliberately broke when it recently deliberately removed its so called "old search". In the so called "new search", "keyword" means "location" and "location" means something other than location.

In other words, if you want to find entries where the registration district is Kilrush, put kilrush in the keyword box.

I have never been able to figure out how location-matching works at familysearch.org, but this doesn't make me feel quite as stupid since reading about murf's experiment!