Diarmaid son of Murchadh of Ballynacally

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

murf

Diarmaid son of Murchadh of Ballynacally

Post by murf » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:40 pm

The following document caught my eye because I supposed (rightly or wrongly) that it provided evidence of a Murphy presence in the Ballynacally area during the 17th Century. The document forms part of Seven Irish documents from the Inchiquin archives, contained in Analecta Hibernica No 26, published by The Irish Manuscripts Commission(1970).
The translation retains the personal names in their Irish form. Can someone please help me out with an anglicised version of the names mentioned?
Attachments
Murchadh.jpg
Murchadh.jpg (209.2 KiB) Viewed 7756 times

smcarberry

Re: Diarmaid son of Murchadh of Ballynacally

Post by smcarberry » Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:43 am

These two lists should cover most of what you seek. Diarmaid can also appear as Diarmuid. Boetius appears to be an archaic name without a matching anglicized version.

SMC

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_I ... iven_names

http://lyberty.com/encyc/articles/irish_names.html#2m

murf

Post by murf » Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:12 pm

Thanks Sharon
I checked those out and it would appear that I have been confusing the first name Murchadh (Murrough) with the Murphy clan name Ó Murchadha. So the principal in this document translates as Dermot son of Murrough son of Murtagh, which still leaves us without a family name to hang our hats on.
But I guess the bottom line is that in thinking that Murchadh was, per se, a reference to Murphy, then I was barking up the wrong (family) tree!

reets

Post by reets » Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:36 pm

I believe Diarmaid, son of Murchadh, is Sir Donogh O'Brien, Baronet of Dromoland and Tiordhealbhach is Sir Turlough MacMahon.
reets