Carrigg article

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

kimsalisbury

Carrigg article

Post by kimsalisbury » Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:07 am

I understand there is an article about my Carrigg ancestors that appeared in an Irish Family History Journal. The article is titled "The butcher, the gaoler and the runaway drapers: the Carriggs of Ennistymon". I was wondering if anyone here knows how I could get a copy of this.
All the best,
Kim Salisbury

mcreed

Re: Carrigg article

Post by mcreed » Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:36 pm

Hello Kim.

http://www.ifhs.ie/publications_vol20.html
says it is “Out of print. Copies of articles available by request”

and there is a used copy of that volume of the Irish Family History Society journal for sale at
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Family-History- ... B008ASKS60

There is an article by the same author on "The Family of Austin (Augustine) Carrigg of Ennistymon, County Clare"
at http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclar ... stymon.htm

kimsalisbury

Post by kimsalisbury » Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:46 am

Many, many thanks for that help.
Kind regards, Kim

Rosie

Post by Rosie » Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:57 pm

Hi Kim

I only just found my way to the forum and saw your article. If you don't already have a copy of the article on the Carriggs, I can send it on since I wrote it a few years ago. and have it filed away. I don't have a lot of information on John and Mary Anne Herbert beyond what is in that article and what I found on their son, Michael. He can be found in the 1901 and 1911 censuses of Ennistymon. Mary Anne's brother was a famous author in Canada, I think, if anyone can follow that up for you.

John Carrigg was a brother of my great-great-grandfather Michael Carrigg.

Rosie

kimsalisbury

Post by kimsalisbury » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:47 am

Hi Rosie,
Thank you for your reply. I have already got a copy from Dixie Ingram (another descendant of the Carriggs living in Australia). She has written to you as well, I think.
Great to be in touch with you. I thought your article was very interesting. I descend from Bridget Carrigg (John and Mary Ann's daughter) and Thomas Flanagan. They moved to America, but four of their children moved to Australia - Mary Jane (born in 1870 and known as Mina), Bridget (born in 1882 and known as Bertha), Patrick (born in 1885) and Theresa (born in 1888). My maternal grandmother, Doreen Mary Campbell, was the illegitimate daughter of Bertha Flanagan and Thomas DeLacy Kellett (whose father's family were from Moynalty, Co. Meath). However, my grandmother was reared by her Aunty Mina and Uncle Bob Campbell. My grandmother had many stories about 'Grandmother Carrigg' and growing up in Ennistymon from her Aunty Mina (Mary Jane Flanagan). I remember one about an illegitimate child of one of Mary Ann Carrigg's sons. Apparently Mary Ann Carrigg heard that a girl from a poorer family outside Ennistymon had given birth to an illegitimate child and claimed one of the Carrigg boys was the father. According to my grandmother's story, 'Grandmother Carrigg' took one look at the child and declared it to definitely be a Carrigg. Maybe that is the Thomas of your story.
Once again, many thanks for your reply and offer of the article.
Kind regards,
Kim

Rosie

Post by Rosie » Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:09 pm

Hi Kim

Thank you so much for that background on my great-grandfather, Thomas. Maybe Grandmother Carrigg was Mary Anne's mother-in-law, one of the two Bridgets, as Thomas (born New Year 1844) would have been a first cousin of, and older than, Mary Anne and John's children. It's great to start hearing about what happened to the other branches of the family.

I'm glad that you got a copy of the article. I hadn't realised it was so long ago since I wrote it.

I'm afraid that I put you wrong about Victor Herbert. Someone told me that Mary Anne Herbert had a brother who went to Canada and became a famous author. Victor Herbert, a popular American composer of songs and operettas, was born in 1859 in Dublin, his father Edward died when he was two and his mother, Fanny Lover, married a German doctor. It looks like these Herberts were related to the Herberts of Killarney, one of the principal landowning families in Kerry although I could be wrong there. It was the custom in some areas for tenants to adopt or to be given the surname of their landlord, whether that has anything to do with the Ennistymon Herberts. For people in North Kerry and West Clare, the simplest way to go from one county to the other would have been to get a boat across the Shannon estuary, a short journey. Otherwise they had to travel about 30 miles or more by road (and there weren't many, just a few tracks) to Limerick and at least the same distance again into whatever part of Clare they were going to.

Ask Dixie for my email address. Looking forward to hearing from you.

Rosie

kimsalisbury

Post by kimsalisbury » Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:46 am

Hi Rosie,
Will get your email address from Dixie.
Just a quick reply here - 'Grandmother Carrigg' was Mary Jane (Mina) Flanagan's grandmother, Mary Ann Carrigg (nee Herbert). Mina Flanagan was very close to her grandmother. In fact, 'Grandmother Carrigg' reared the Flanagan children who were left behind when their parents went to America in the 1880's. Patrick Flanagan was still living with Mary Ann Carrigg in Bogberry Road in Ennistymon in the 1901 census. I remember him often visiting us when I was a child.
Kind regards,
Kim

Rosie

Post by Rosie » Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:13 am

I look forward to hearing about the Flanagans, and more about Mary Anne Herbert. All in good time.

Rosie