Hehir family and geography near Corofin

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

kbarlow

Hehir family and geography near Corofin

Post by kbarlow » Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:12 am

Hi from warm and steamy Oz - I am trying to ascertain the likely location of my Hehir family. A newspaper report from 1831 relating to one of the family implies he lived between 2 1/2 and 3 1/2 miles from Corrofin. I have tried to work out (from Tithe and freeholders lists) which townlands with the Hehir/Heher name may have been about this distance - including by using the interactive maps at the Clare library site. Is there anyone with local knowledge who could suggest which townlands may be located about the (2 1/2 - 3 1/2 mile) radius of Corrofin? I can see that Corrofin lies in the south of Killinaboy parish, so the other bordering parishes may also be relevant.

regards, Kerry

Clare Admin

Re: Hehir family and geography near Corofin

Post by Clare Admin » Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:42 pm

Kerry,
this link will show the townlands around Corofin on Clare County Library's Genmaps:

http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclar ... F1L11L31a5*

johnmayer

Post by johnmayer » Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:05 pm

Kerry, could you share the newspaper article for those of us suspecting our Hehir ancestors may have gone to Australia?

kbarlow

Post by kbarlow » Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:20 am

Hi John, since my post in March, I have paid someone to do a few hours searching at the Clare library. This kind person found 3 births (of the 5 I believed from Stephen's convict indent), which confirmed what I had worked out was the townland in Kilnaboy they were from. It was Commons South. If you have any Hehirs from this area I would love to hear from you. Other connected families are Kierce and Griffy, some of whom also went to Oz.

regards, Kerry