Green from Knocknagarhoon to Western Connecticut

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

smcarberry

Green from Knocknagarhoon to Western Connecticut

Post by smcarberry » Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:11 pm

Here is a family from SW Clare, along the Atlantic coast, for which the registration district is Carrigaholt. I became interested in the townland Knocknagarhoon due to its similarity in spelling to Knocknagore, the name of the DED for an area near Kilrush that seems to be the origin of the Ohio family that I am researching (not my own line). That Ohio family has one Clare baptismal record confirmed for one of the children: an 1840s entry with the father shown as Darby Keane of Kinegore. While I am aware that this area in the 1800s had a variety of local names used by residents in place of official geopolitical labels, which could explain why no such place is shown on any map or list of townlands, I have been wondering if the involved priest made his own shorthand term for a long word such as Knocknagore. After today's look into Knocknagarhoon, I am discounting that as their origin because the Keanes are not associated with that area, while they were abundant in townlands now in Knocknegore DED. Any and all comments are welcome.

In the meantime, I might as well show the outcome of taking a parish marriage transcribed by Paddy Waldron, leading to a family who re-settled in a part of Connecticut well used by SW Clare people for their permanent U.S. home: Danbury, six miles north of Redding.

Sharon Carberry

Paddy W.'s transcription, slightly edited:
JULY 31 1854 MORGAN GREEN from Knocknagaroon
married to Margaret Collins ? or MARY COLLINS from LISHEEN
Witnesses: as Pat, PATRICK COLLINS & CATHERINE COLLINS

Connecticut death index, on Familysearch.org:
Morgan E. Green: d. 1916 CT
Morgan E. Green: d. 1902 CT

1900 CT Fairfield Co., Redding twp
Green
Patrick 66 Ire b. Mar 1834 farmer img'd 1856, nat'd
Hannah 64 Ire [unk birth info] img'd 1857, mar'd 38 yrs,6 ch b/5 liv
Daniel 33 CT Oct 1867 farm lab'r
John 31 " Sep 1869 hat maker
James 28 " Mar 1872 hat maker
Nelly T. 24 " dress maker
Morgan 84 Ire [unk birth info] brother, wid., img'd 1852 [sic], alien

1880 CT Fairfield Co., Redding
Green
Morgan 60 Ire
Johannah 60 Ire
Patrick 18 CT
Mary E. 16 "
Morgan 13 "
Darby 99 Ire father

Johannah Green b. 1825, d. CT 21 Jun 1881; husband Morgan LDS film 3329

1870 CT Fairfield Co., Redding
Green
Martin 48 Ire farmer
Joanna 47 Ire [should be Margaret/Mary nee Collins]
Patrick 8 CT
Mary 6 "
Morgan 3 "
next to:
Collins
Patrick 30 Ire lab'r
Bridget 40 Ire
Daniel 10 CT
Johanna 9 "
Mary 8 "
Margaret 5 "

1870 CT Fairfield Co., Redding
Green
Patrick 35 Ire farmer
Bridget 34 Ire
Daniel 3 CT
John 1 "
Darby 65 Ire lab'r

pwaldron

Knocknagore

Post by pwaldron » Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:48 pm

Hi Sharon

I must again deflect the credit for the transcriptions to Murray Ginnane!

Edmund Mahony built Knocknagore House in Carrowmore South townland in Killard civil parish in 1838, according to Returning to Roots, Doonbeg Notes, Clare Champion, 11 Jun 1993. The house was unslated in the `Big Wind' two years later (6 Jan 1839).

While Knocknagore may have been a minor local placename prior to the 1830s, I suspect that its choice as the name of a new electoral division in the reorganisation towards the end of the Famine was influenced by the presence of Mahony (later himself a Poor Law Guardian) and his big house. The house is on the 1840 OSI map at
http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V1,492647,662766,7,7

Killard civil parish was part of Kilkee Catholic parish until the death of Fr Comyn at the end of 1854.

A Darby Keane, son of Ned Keane and Norry Mahony, was baptised in Kilkee parish on 17 Apr 1848. I didn't note the address. If this is the record to which you refer, the placename could well be a corruption of Knocknagore. The mother may even have been related to Edmond Mahony.

\pw

smcarberry

Re: Green from Knocknagarhoon to Western Connecticut

Post by smcarberry » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:28 pm

Mmmm, my reply yesterday showed on the screen as posted but then went missing -- hopefully only a momentary computer glitch.

To repeat:

Thanks to Murray Ginnane and Paddy Waldron for providing online access to the parish records.

Thanks also for Paddy's looking for a suitable Darby Keane in the right time period. While the earliest history of my target family is not clear, there is the family story that they were in the U.S. prior to 1850, perhaps as early as 1848. I haven't found them in the 1850 census nor in a ship record, but the mother used various versions of her name: Ellen, Eleanor, Nora, and seemingly also Hanna and Johanna. This family, which supposedly included 7 children, has their first known U.S. record in 1853, in the small Ohio village populated mainly by non-Irish farmers, where they determinedly made their living without farming. The only confirmed Irish record for them (already well known in the U.S. family) is the one I viewed myself in the Kilrush parish records: the 20 Jan 1834 baptism of Catherine, father Darby Keane, mother Joan (Johanna) Lennane, sponsor Mary Lennane. The other Darby Keane record within 5 years is: 6 July 1838 baptism of John, born to Darby Keane and Peggy Scanlon of Kinegore (to my eyes), sponsor Mary Moriarty. I also reviewed marriage records without any success, but then the Lennane/Leonard name is more numerous farther north of Kilrush, so any wedding may well have taken place outside the Kilrush parish. I am showing (in transcriptions done by the descendant from the Ohio parish) the marriage of one of the Keane children, Mary, naming her parents as Jeremiah and Johanna.

I am also showing two Missing Friends ads placed by John Roche of the same Ohio village, this being the naturalization witness of the husband of one of the Keane children. John seems also to be from a parish more north of Kilrush. While the descendant whom I am helping is satisfied that Kilrush was his family's nearest village in Clare, he is seeking their exact townland. The family story is that the Shannon could be seen from it.

Sharon Carberry
Jeremiah, Johanna Kane paired StJoe 1870.jpg
Jeremiah, Johanna Kane paired StJoe 1870.jpg (35.43 KiB) Viewed 10104 times
Roche of C'ville 1867 ad, Loughlan twnld.jpg
Roche of C'ville 1867 ad, Loughlan twnld.jpg (47.16 KiB) Viewed 10104 times
Roche, C'ville, Clare twnld listed, 1867 ad.jpg
Roche, C'ville, Clare twnld listed, 1867 ad.jpg (50.82 KiB) Viewed 10104 times

pwaldron

Kinegore

Post by pwaldron » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:50 pm

Knocknagore House is very closes to Bealaha chapel, so it's hard to see why anyone from there would bring a child even as far as Monmore chapel in Kilrush parish to be baptised.

Have you checked Captain Kennedy's lists of those evicted in Kilrush Poor Law Union in the late 1840s?

smcarberry

Re: Green from Knocknagarhoon to Western Connecticut

Post by smcarberry » Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:50 pm

My prior census work included this listing:
1880 CT Fairfield Co., Redding
Green
Morgan 60 Ire
Johannah 60 Ire
Patrick 18 CT
Mary E. 16 "
Morgan 13 "
Darby 99 Ire father

As U.S. researchers well know, there is a large gap in the federal census between 1880 and 1900, due to loss of most of the 1890 census returns. However, thanks to a someone's interest in centenarians, there is a publicly-accessible book (Archive.org) which collected details of Connecticut residents who were 80 or more years old as of 1 May 1884, one of whom was Darby Green of Redding, there reported as being just 101 although a few more years might also be correct. He was one of only 20 having passed the century mark, and I believe the only Irish man with his own biography in the book. The Irish-American Weekly newspaper of 29 Nov 1884 reported his birthday on 18 Nov 1884, stating his new age to be 101.
The (New York) Sun newspaper, 9 Apr 1885 edition, reported the death on the previous Friday of "Donley" Green of Ridding Ridge CT at the age of 101 years, 5 months, 7 days.

Book citation: Ye Names & Ages of All Ye Old Folks In Every Hamlet, City, and Town, In Ye State of Connecticut, Now Living, With Ye Sketches of Twenty Living Centenarians, by Frederick H. Nash (New Haven, 1884).

SMC
Green of Kilbaha & CT,  pt 1.JPG
Green of Kilbaha & CT, pt 1.JPG (85.7 KiB) Viewed 3028 times
Green of CT bio, age 101, 1884 pt 2.JPG
Green of CT bio, age 101, 1884 pt 2.JPG (59.2 KiB) Viewed 3028 times