Thom's Irish Who's Who, 1923

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

smcarberry

Thom's Irish Who's Who, 1923

Post by smcarberry » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:08 pm

News of this resource has not been posted here previously, and I was not aware of it prior to yesterday. There were Thom's directories for comprehensive address listings in Ireland. This one goes beyond mere addresses and provides data-rich entries on individuals, very useful for a person born in Clare and residing elsewhere, with or without a then-current Clare address. That applies to the gentry who had Dublin and London houses. Also good for men who served in government or military positions, as all those are listed, such as for Matthew Joseph Kenny of Freagh Castle. Some family history is provided, particularly who married whom, with parentage. At least one change of surname is shown, as with the last O'Callaghan of Maryfort son who assumed the name Westropp (p. 183).

The site has a search engine and returns numerous entries for "Clare."

http://www.archive.org/stream/thomsiris ... 7/mode/2up

Sharon Carberry

mgallery

Re: Thom's Irish Who's Who, 1923

Post by mgallery » Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:49 pm

I have looked at this but as a source it is not great for my interests. The entry on Matthew J Kenny of Freagh MP is inaccurate. He went to Ennis College and Queens university (I think Galway). He had cousins who did go to Stonyhurst and Trinity - prob caused the confustion

I cant really comment on other entries but I suggest checking carefully with other contemporary sources.