Latchford/ Guinane connection

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

Dublinwoods

Latchford/ Guinane connection

Post by Dublinwoods » Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:37 pm

Thomas Southwell introduced German Palatine families in the Courtmatrix, Killeheen, Ballingrane, and Pallas(kenry) region of Rathkeale. There appears to be a location "the Square John Latchford" in that city (www.rathkealeonline.ie/history.html). Latchford appears to be a German Palatine surname (eppi.dippam.ac.uk/documents/18870.txt), perhaps changed after first arriving at Lancastershire, England (There is a town in that region named Latchford), before moving on to the Rathkeale region.
The German Palatine community in the Ballingrane area appear to have been highly influenced by John Wesley founder of the Methodist Church. Between 1800-1825, several of the Latchfords migrated to the Ballynacally, Paradise region where the became tenant farmers. Two cousins, Francis and John Dougherty Latchford married Catholic sisters (Mary and Jane, respectively). Around 1935-39, these cousins emigrated to Maryland, USA with their wives and families and began farming and mining. John Dougherty bought land at Muirkirk, while Francis settled in Annapolis Junction, both near Laurel, MD. The Latchfords in Maryland began to separate in their faith base. The family of Francis followed the Roman Catholic tradition and many are buried at St. Mary of the Mills in Laurel. The family of John Dougherty are buried at St. Philip's Episcopal Church in Laurel, and he and his Irish born sons were in the Laurel masonic community. If anyone has any more information on the Latchford family in Clare, it would be appreciated.

murf

Re: Latchford/ Guinane connection

Post by murf » Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:13 am

Did you mean 1935-39 or 1835-39 that the cousins migrated to Maryland?
I notice that there are five Latchfords in the Clare tithe applotment books, all in Kilchreest Parish, including Francis, John(3) and William.
http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclar ... inihan.htm
I could find no Latchfords in Griffiths Valuation, nor in the 1901 census, also the 1821 freeholders list came up blank.
As the Kilchreest Parish records commence in 1846 I'm running out of suggestions.
But what was the source of your info re marriages to sisters Mary and Jane? Do you know their maiden names?
Also I'm a little puzzled that you make no reference to the Guinane name as in the topic title.

pwaldron

Post by pwaldron » Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:16 pm

You have misread
http://www.rathkealeonline.ie/history.html

The three 19th century pawnbrokers whom it lists are:

Bridget Gill of The Square

John Latchford of Main St.

James Ruttle of The Square

In fact, three generations of John Latchfords were pawnbrokers in Rathkeale. John I (d. 9 Feb 1821, bur. Askeaton) married Allice Morgan (d. 15 Feb 1833 aged 53, bur. Shanagolden). His son John II (b. 18 Sep 1815) married Mary Anne Teskey (chr. 13 Nov 1827, d. 1906). His son John III (chr. 27 Aug 1849, d. 4 Dec 1924, bur. Ballingrane) married his first cousin Maria Anne (Annie) Teskey (b. 4 Dec 1860, d. 4 Nov 1922).

For a 1976 note on the Latchford family origins by Dorothy E Latchford, daughter of a Canadian judge, see National Library of Ireland manuscript (NLI MS) 21135. For an account of a murder near Rathkeale given by Francis Robert Latchford (1856-1938), born in Québec, son of James Latchford (27 Jul 1810-21 Sep 1903), born in Limerick City, see NLI MS 21657.

I have not come across the Ballynacally connection before.

A number of my distant cousins married Latchfords or Latchford descendants in county Limerick, including Thomas Parker to Susan Latchford (daughter of John I) in 1837 and Tom Smith to Mary Alice Latchford (daughter of John II) in 1883.

Dublinwoods

Post by Dublinwoods » Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:28 am

Thank you for posting a reply. I am sorry for the incorrect date of emigration listed for the 2 Latchford cousins, Francis and John D; The correct dates are 1835-39. Approximately 5 Latchfords appear in the 1825 applotment registry for Kilchreest. Three Johns, one William and one Francis. I am sure that the Francis listed in Paradise, Kilchreest is my great, great, great grandfather since he was married with young children at that time. My resource for their presence in the Ballynacally region is a handwritten letter from Jerry Brady of Ballynacally, written in 1957. Mr. Brady writes that his grandmother was Katherine Guinane, sister of Mary and Jane Guinane who married the Latchford first cousins, Francis and John D., respectively. Katherine Guinane was married to Hugh Brady, whose descendants remain in the Ballynacally region today. Hugh and Katherine's son, Hugh Brady was the master at the Hedge School in Ruan, their daughter Ellen married James (O')Hehir, and another son, Edward, was Jerry's father. I have noted that a John Guinane lived on Deer Island from the 1825 applotments. Could this be the Guinane sisters father? I do not know why or how these Latchfords (of probable German palatine descent) arrived at the Kilchreest region from the Rathkeale area. Thank you for any assistance.

pwaldron

Master Hugh Brady

Post by pwaldron » Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:22 am

There is a long thread about Master Hugh Brady, cousin of the Latchfords, at
http://www.ourlibrary.ca/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=677