Kinane Ancestry

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

JerseyJack

Kinane Ancestry

Post by JerseyJack » Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:03 pm

I have been able to trace my grandfather, Michael Kinane, back to the 1901 census where Margaret Kinane was head of household. http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclar ... t56_12.htm

There I reach a dead end trying to go further back. Fortunately Kinane is not that common a surname and I have found female Kinane's going back to 1850 but I cannot make a link to Margaret in the 1901 census.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks

mcreed

Re: Kinane Ancestry

Post by mcreed » Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:35 pm

I think you might need to broaden your search. While the name 'Kinane' may be rare in Clare, 'Kinnane' is not. Consistency of the spelling of Irish surnames is an issue when searching for ancestors. The Internet Surname Database lists O' Kinane, O' Kinnane, Kinnane, Quinane, Quinnane and others as possible variants of Kinane. See https://www.surnamedb.com/Surname/Kinane

JerseyJack

Post by JerseyJack » Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:48 pm

Appreciate your reply.

Granted the spelling might have changed. In 1901 Margaret was head of household so I have to assume that the husband died. Would there have been any way to check obituaries, or marriage. The oldest son, Michael (my grandfather), might have been named after the father so a good guess might be that the father was named Michael Kinane.

Thoughts?

treatycity

Post by treatycity » Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:43 pm

Check the 1911 Census for Tullygarvan West under Cannan,
Shows how names can change back then.
Do you have any further information on your grandfather Michael Kinane?
Picking up some family information for a Michael Kinnane died June 5 1958 husband of Mary( Tullygarvan).
Michael Kinnane is buried in Calluragh Cemetery which is very close to Tullygarvan.
Patrick

katrina

Post by katrina » Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:37 pm

Do you have any further information on your grandfather, Michael Kinane? Depending on where he lived, a marriage or death certificate may give some details on his fathers name or mothers maiden name. That might be your best starting point if you haven't already done so.
Also, what did he name his eldest son?

If Michael was aged 20 in 1901, then his birth should be in the Civil Registration Index. It might take a bit of searching, but try familysearch.org (or ancestry.com if you are a subscriber) Try looking for a Michael, Bridget & James with births registered in the same area at the right years.
If you find any likely matches, you can order photocopies from the GRO for 4 euro.
Likewise, Margaret's marriage should also be in the Civil Reg somewhere.

I note there is a Patrick Kinane aged 29 in the 1901 census in Tullygarvan East. See at:
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/p ... t/1074518/

He could potentially be an older brother, which would change the name of the father you are looking for. Ireland Births & Baptisms has the baptism of a Patrick Kinnane 29 February 1872 at Ennistymon, with parents Patrick Kinnane & Margaret Hassett. But might be a bit too early for your Margaret if she was really 45 yo in 1901 - would be 16 yo in 1872. Census ages are not always reliable though.

Good luck!