Old IRA in West Clare - anyone able to help?

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

SC-1

Old IRA in West Clare - anyone able to help?

Post by SC-1 » Sat May 30, 2009 9:37 pm

Hello,

This is my first post on here :D Hopefully the first of many!

Basically I am wondering if there is anyone on here could help me with something. My Grandfather had involvement with the Old IRA in west Clare around the 1930's and 1940's. I am not fully sure of the scale of his involvement or the full time scale, essentially I know little else about this apart from what has been said above - it is something his children never took an interest in and thus any information on it has gone to the grave with him. I now want to try and resurrect any bit of this story that I can and I would be hugely grateful to anyone who might be able to help me out at all on here. There are also stories about my families involvement with the War of Independence, maybe if anyone knew anything about these it would be a double bonus!

The family I speak about were living in the Kilmurry McMahon area.

Thank you everybody
S

Padraig Og O Ruairc

Re: Old IRA in West Clare - anyone able to help?

Post by Padraig Og O Ruairc » Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:51 am

Hello S.
I have a book written called "Blood on the Banner - The Republican Struggle in Clare" its published by Mercier Press and is available in most bookshops or from the Mercier Press website. It covers the years 1913 - 1923 and so might mention your family if they were involved in the War of Independence in West Clare.

Unfortunately you neglected to mention your family name in your previous post. If you posted the name of the family here and whatever details you have it would be helpfull.

Even though my book stops short of covering the 1930's. I have lodged the original manuscript of my book which is about 230,000 words in the Clare Local Studies centre in Ennis. This traces the republican struggle in Clare right up to the late 1930's and the involvement of Clare Republicans in the Spanish Civil War. I also lodged copies of the 49 Bureau of Military history Wintess Statements made by Veterans of the War of Independence in Clare in the local studies centre.

Id be interested in learning more could you post some more information here or else e-mail me at padraigoruairc@gmail.com

Thanks

Pádraig Óg Ó Ruairc.

I

pwaldron

Post by pwaldron » Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:30 am

There are interviews with several Clare people in `The IRA in the Twilight Years' by Uinseann Mac Eoin, which covers the period that you are interested in.

KatieClár

Post by KatieClár » Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:57 am

Interesting thread!
My Grandfather also served in the old IRA iaround the Miltown Malbay/ennistymon area and fought during the War of Independence. Unfortunately I don't have any information about him during this time. he would have been only in his early 20's. he went on to fight in the Civil War (free state army) and was injured in an ambush outside Tralee in Co.kerry. I have managed to find out lots of information about his time in the free State army as the army have good records but his time in the old IRA is more sketchy.
May have a look at your book Padraig.
I guess people like the first poster and I, would be reluctant to post our family names on this forum which I'm sure you can understand!

SC-1

Post by SC-1 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:20 pm

Ya thats true Katie, I didnt want to go putting up family details on the internet, but by all means if there was anyone on here who might have info or maybe even just wanted to know the details I have already I would contact them via email!

Thanks to everyone thats posted here so far, it does seem difficult to gather info on the old IRA in the period I am searching in. There was a family involvement in the War of Indepenence, this information seems to survive better!

Thanks Padraig for your reply, I have actually read your book, its a fantastic read, I have sent you an email on the address you gave me, hopefully you have recieved this.

Padraig Og O Ruairc

Post by Padraig Og O Ruairc » Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:07 pm

Hello Katie.
If you send me an e-mail I might be able to help out on the Milltown Malbay situation as both sides of my family come from Milltown. Though Im a Meelick man. (And proud of it!) The Bureau of Military Hiostory Witness Statements I mentioned that are in the Clare Local Studies Library would be a good start. Also you should have a read of Tom Doyles book The Civil War in Kerry. Published by Mercier Press which has some excellent information about Clare Men in the 1st Western Division of the Free State Army stationed in Kerry.

Good luck with the research any how. And please feel free to send me any comments or criticisims if you do get a copy of my book.

Slan
Padraig