happy hunter

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

cathy kelly

happy hunter

Post by cathy kelly » Fri May 29, 2009 7:18 am

dear all.
i hope their may be some one out their who can help me. i am trying to find any living relatives or any information on people in my letter.
to start, my father was michael kelly dob, 14/9/1924. his sibbings were patrick,dob,15/9/1912, bridget dob,28/7/1914, thomas dob 7/1/1921, george dob,22/3/1923, william dob,2/5/1927. their parents were thomas kelly yob,1884,and annie cole yob,1889. thomas and annie were married on the 2/11/1911 at st peter and pauls ennis. they lived at old mill street, and in 1912 moved o new road ennis. annie cole died 3/1/1940and thomas kelly died 11/11/1955. thomas died in the county home, which is now s josephs hopital. i know the boys attended the school on new road the christian brothers school. not so sure were bridget attended. my grandfathers parents were patrick kelly and bridget considine. have some birth years but not sure if they are right. patrick yob, around 1839,and bridget around 1837/1840. patrick and bridget had 8 children mary dob,26/9/1870, ellen dob, 7/11/1872,john dob,11/5/1876,anne dob,3/4/1877 margaret,dob,6/7/1878 patrick dob, 20/1/1880 michael dob 2/8/1882 and my grandfather thomas.dob,28/11/1884.
i now go on to annie cole yob,1889. i know here parents were george cole yob,1865,and catherine kenny yob,1863, george was born in somerset england, went to ireland were he married catherine i think they married in queens county as that is wer catherine was from. thy had 4 children alice yob,1890 margaret yob,1892 george yob 1893,these three were born in queens county they then moved to ennis were cecila was born yob,1999. i have found information stating that george and ctherine died in the workhouse 1906 and a daughter who died 1912 her name was eliza yob 1899, i do notknow if they are the right people i am lookng for but that would make cecila and eliza twins. patrick and catherine resided in the borheen area of ennise but i did find them on the 1901 censues as living in turnpike road. have no clue were they went from their.

cathy kelly

happy hunter

Post by cathy kelly » Fri May 29, 2009 7:32 am

back again never had enough space to finish so this is letter 2.
still on the cole family side i ave some marriage details,of my nans sibblings, alice cole married a martin butler on the 7/6/1906 at the cathedral in ennis.martins father was michael butler.
margaret cole married john copeland on the 6/8/1911 at the cathedral in ennis john lived in market street and his father was charles copeland a stone cutter.
george cole married mary burke at the cathedral inennis o the 4/4/1915 george gave his occupation as soldier,mary was the daughter of michael burke a dealer in market street. if any of this information helps any one traceing the family tree i am glad i could help . if any one thinks they might have a relation here then please get in touch woud lve to go back to ennis and meet sme relatives. that is my goal.
thank you for taking time to read this and i hope it all make sense.
best wishes to you all . happy hunting
cathy

lorrainejordan

Re: happy hunter

Post by lorrainejordan » Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:28 pm

Dear Cathy,
Finding your post was really exciting for me because I am a relative of Margaret Cole and John Copeland. My Mother is Finola Ryan, her mother was Kathleen Copeland, and Kathleens mother and father were Margaret Cole and John Copeland.
If I understand it correctly, your grandmother is Annie Cole who is the sister of Margaret Cole.

Myself, my mother and my sister have started the process of researching our family tree so I don't have a huge amount of information, but I am sure I could fill in some gaps. We knew very little about Margaret Cole, in fact she was one of the big mysteries in my mothers life. John Copeland died young in WW1 (we have quite some information about him) leaving Margaret Cole a widow with two young daugthers Kathleen (dob 16 Jan 1913, dod 25 Feb 1976) and Joan (26 August 1914, still alive and living in Clare). At some stage those two girls were left to be raised by a family friend, a priest I believe (my mother knows more, but the reason they were abandoned or removed from Margaret are unknown) so the story of who Margaret was and were she went after that are still a mystery. It is certainly a step forward that we know where she came from and who her family were.

If you want to send me an email lorrainenl@hotmail.com i can forward you an article we found about John Copeland and there is alot of other bits and pieces I am sure we can swap.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Regards,
Lorraine