Databases for DNA Comparison

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

Kurt in S.A.

Databases for DNA Comparison

Post by Kurt in S.A. » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:55 pm

I recently had a relative provide a DNA sample for one of the major testing programs. He is the g-g grandson and in a direct line of males to the immigrant who came from Clare around 1850. The purpose in doing this testing was to hopefully find a connection from a very distant relative who might be able to help fill in more of the family history. (On my father's side, a cousin has done the same thing and we're hoping to find distant relatives in Germany.)

What I've come to understand is the companies that do this testing maintain their own databases and that cross-sharing is something they don't do. They can tell if there are matches within their own databases but not others. In my case, there was no match or anything close. To compare to other databases, I have to enter all the pertinent results into them individually. I have tried two others, again with no matches.

I'd like to find out if anyone knows of other companies that are doing this for other parts of the world, and especially, that might have participants from Ireland. That would increase the chances to find someone on a different family branch, one or more generations before my Irish relative. If I have my family history correct, three brothers left England, two going to Ireland and one going to Australia. One of those brothers likely stayed in Ireland...this would be the branch that I'd like to tap into.

Thanks for any help you might have.

Kurt

mick o

Re: Databases for DNA Comparison

Post by mick o » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:14 pm

michael oloughlin,
kurt this information from the web.

Clear DNA Characteristics of Descendants From Co Clare
Using the DNA results from the Family Tree DNA Project, Thomas Dorsey of New York has been doing a comparative study of STR profiles of Darcys from Co Clare and their descendants. He has observed a clear characteristic of what he now calls the “Clare Modal” profile. I encourage all men with the Darcy/Dorsey surname, or any variant of the spelling, who has not joined the DNA project to do so. Go to https://www.familytreedna.com/ and sign up.
regards michael oloughlin

Kurt in S.A.

Post by Kurt in S.A. » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:56 pm

Michael -

Thanks...the tests were run using FamilyTreeDNA so I've already gone down that path. Two other databases that I've checked are Ysearch and Sorenson Molecular Genealogy Foundation. Next I plan on see what 23andme has to offer in terms of results comparisons.

Kurt

Kevin J. O'Brien

Re: Databases for DNA Comparison - The Irsih Tyoe III Websit

Post by Kevin J. O'Brien » Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:54 am

Kurt,

Take a look at Dennis Wright's website, The Irish Type III Website (http://www.irishtype3dna.org/index.php). Dennis is technical, you may have to read it over a few times.

Dennis is interested in the Clare surnames particularly those with connections to the Dál gCais O'Brien Clan.

Good Luck,

Slan,
Kevin J. O'Brien

Kurt in S.A.

Post by Kurt in S.A. » Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:28 am

Kevin -

Thanks...I'll give it a whirl. I did check 23andme and they seemed to "not play nice" with other general DNA testing services, so I'll continue to look around.

Kurt