Verlins near Tulla - use of term Alias in Parish Register

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

NRC

Verlins near Tulla - use of term Alias in Parish Register

Post by NRC » Tue May 26, 2009 1:35 pm

Hello
Has anyone come across an 'alias' in parish registers?

I was looking for the baptism date of Eliza Lyddy c. 1820s near Tulla and found a ref. in the Tulla Parish Register for this period to 'Elizabeth Verlin (alias Lyddy)' and want to find out what does alias mean? Was Elizabeth Verlin known by another name i.e. Lyddy?

Any comments appreciated, thanks.

pwaldron

Re: Verlins near Tulla - use of term Alias in Parish Register

Post by pwaldron » Tue May 26, 2009 2:18 pm

Typically this means that one surname was her maiden name and the other her married name. I can never remember which was which, or whether 'alias' can be interpreted in two different ways. The word frequently appears on old tombstone inscriptions in Clare.

The (unambiguous) French 'née' (meaning 'born'), which is commonly used today, eventually replaced the Latin 'alias' in Ireland. The English 'otherwise' (often abbreviated 'ors') was also in common usage in the nineteenth century, for example in the 'Co. of Clare List of Freeholders, for the year 1821', which includes the following:

No. 112
Name of Freeholder: Hugh CLANCY
Place of Abode: Killard
Situation of Freehold: Killard and Cahirlane
Name of Landlord: John and H. BLACKALL
Val. - (i.e. 40 shillings?)
Name of lives or other tenure: Marsella BLACKALL otherwise CLANCY
Date of registry: February 24, 1818

Here BLACKALL is the maiden name and CLANCY the married name - I believe that Marsella was Hugh's wife and that they were my GGGgrandparents. But apart from oral tradition, this is the only evidence that I have of their marriage, or indeed of Marsella's existence.

NRC

Post by NRC » Wed May 27, 2009 2:51 pm

Hi
thanks for your reply re the use of the term alias - the only problem is the entry I found was in the baptism register recording the baptism of Eliza Verlin (alias Lyddy) so while the suggestion that alias was used to note a maiden name makes perfect sense generally it wouldn't really in this context

But can I ask, when can one access the Co. Clare list of Freeholders for 1821? is it available anywhere on-line?

Many thanks

pwaldron

Post by pwaldron » Thu May 28, 2009 2:40 am

Could you be looking at an adult baptism? A married woman converting from another religion?

Someone gave me a photocopy of the list of freeholders many years ago. I think the original of this one is in the National Library of Ireland. A google search will direct you to various online extracts, e.g.
http://www.igp-web.com/clare/freeholdersofclare.html

NRC

Post by NRC » Thu May 28, 2009 6:54 am

Hi
thanks for that link.

Also - I made a mistake the entry for Eliza Verlin (alias Lyddy) was in the Tulla parish marriage register (1846-1861) so that would make sense that her maiden name was Lyddy - but suggests she was marrying for a second time as the record is of a marriage between Eliza Verlin (alias Lyddy) to a chap whose name is very hard to read but could be John McInerney.

Thanks for your help

Polycarp

Re: Verlins near Tulla - use of term Alias in Parish Registe

Post by Polycarp » Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:38 pm

The following death notice appeared in the local papers in March 1853, referring to the Verlins of Cloondanagh, Tulla.

14 March 1853

On Wednesday last at Clondanagh [Cloondanagh], near Tulla, Mr Richard Verlin, aged 28 years, brother of Patrick R. Verlin, Grocer, of Broad-street, Limerick, leaving an aimiable young wife to deplore his loss. The cause of his death was from injuries he received in this town at the last election.

Eliza Verlin is returned in Griffith's valuation of 1855 in Cloondanagh, so she presumably was the widow (the aimiable young wife) of Richard.

Polycarp

joanbirtles

Post by joanbirtles » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:26 am

I am hoping the person querying the name Verlin near Tulla is still a member of the Clare Co Library Forum. I am also researching the name Verlin i.e. Kate Verlin married Darby Doogan with 2 of their children Mary born about 1815 and Martin bapt 1 July 1821 in Tulla.

Mary Doogan married Patrick Halloran about 1828 and emigrated to New South Wales Australia in 1839 with 3 of their children. Mary Halloran nee Doogan died in Mudgee, NSW Australia in 1877; Patrick had died in 1851 in Mulgoa, NSW, Australia. :)

Thank you,
Joan

Polycarp

Post by Polycarp » Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:02 pm

Two further Tulla Verlin references, from 1768 and 1769.

"Limerick Chronicle"

Thursday 29 September 1768

Marriage: Mr Malachy Ryan, Watchmaker, to Miss Verlin, of Tulla

"Limerick Chronicle"

Thursday 25 October 1769

To be sold, a parcel of choice mazard and beech trees, now standing and growing on the lands of Cloundana in the Barony of Tulla. The property of Mr Bryan McMahon, the trees will be shown by Michael Griphey, or John McInerny, who reside at Cloundana. Proposals received by the said Bryan McMahon, or in his absence, by Mr Richard Verlin, at Lissofin.

Polycarp

joanbirtles

Post by joanbirtles » Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:35 am

Thank you polycarp for your extra info on the Verlins in Cloondana which I have also found on the 1855 Griffiths and also the name McInerny in Cloondana. Looks as though originally from Limerick.
Joan

Polycarp

Post by Polycarp » Fri May 27, 2022 4:08 pm

Hi Joan,

There is an entry in "The Irish Link", issue no. 44, March 1995, for the Halloran / Doogan / Verlin family.

I give the text below.

Polycarp

HALLORAN, Patrick, born circa 1805, Tulla, Co Clare, son of James and Kate (McNamara) Halloran. Married c. 1827 Mary, daughter of Darby & Kate (Ferlin) Doogan / Dongan. Children born Co Clare: Bridget, c. 1828, Michael, Catherine, Margaret; Elizabeth born at sea 1839. Arrived Sydney NSW 1839 in 'Alquis', children born Sydney: Mary, 1841, Patrick, James c. 1847. Settled at Mulgoa. Daughter Elizabeth married, firstly, William Job Clarke from Bristol, England: children William, Michael, John, David, Thomas, Sydney, George 1878. Married secondly 1889 Gunnedah, John Sceales. Died 1921 Barraba. Son John Adolphus Clarke married 1899 Bingara, Clara May Wall.