Elizabeth Jane RODGERS:

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

The Sanman

Elizabeth Jane RODGERS:

Post by The Sanman » Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:04 am

Greetings to all. :)

I'm very interested to trace any information on Elizabeth Jane RODGERS.

At this point all I know is; I believe she was born in Feakle, Co Clare, in IRELAND around 1840-45. The next thing I know of her was that she immigrated to Christchurch NEW ZEALAND, where she married a Denis FITZGERALD, on 25th September 1872. Denis was from the Ballymacelligott, Province in Munster County Kerry, IRELAND.
They went on to have:

Denis Herbert FITZGERALD
James Joseph FITZGERALD
Mary Beatrice FITZGERALD
Elizabeth Jane FITZGERALD
Bridget Anne (Annie) CRAW [FITZGERALD]
Margaret (Maggie) FITZGERALD
William (Bill) FITZGERALD
John (Jack) FITZGERALD
Ellen FITZGERALD
Catherine FITZGERALD

Elizabeth died on the 22nd Nov 1922 (Aged 77) in Lewisham Private Hospital, ChCh, NZ and is buried in a lovely country cemetery, with her husband and some members of the family.

Any information would be very much appreciated.

Regards and best wishes for Christmas - The Sanman.

pwaldron

Re: Elizabeth Jane RODGERS:

Post by pwaldron » Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:00 pm

What information is given on Elizabeth's NZ marriage and death certificates in the spaces provided for her parents' names etc.?

The Sanman

Post by The Sanman » Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:30 am

Paddy me old china - how r u?

Thank u 4 ur reply, to hand.

With regards to the marriage cert this looks like an exert taken as the hand-written page from the church records, back then. I'm told that it wasn't a requirement to list the parents names when getting married in that period as well.

The first boats to get to NZ from England started arriving in Dec of 1850. She married in Christchurch in 1872 so there's a gap of around 21-22 yrs to find what date she actually arrived, that's if it's logged.

I have located her burial plot (in NZ) and are awaiting info from that, in addition I also have her death cert on it's way, so hopefully that might shed some light. :)

The Sanman

Post by The Sanman » Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:45 am

Hi Paddy,

Following on, I have checked the death notice and it says:

1: She was born in Co Clare Ireland

2: Her father was named John Roger and was a famer, mothers name blank. :(

3: She came to New Zealand in 1851, I will check shipping.

4: Her birth year of 1845 matches up with the age dates (of years) she has listed on her marriage & death certificate.

Any help ur end would be very much appreciated. :)

T/u in advance - The Sanman. :)

pwaldron

Post by pwaldron » Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:17 am

As Elizabeth appears to have gone to New Zealand aged about six, you may be lucky and find her parents' names on marriage and/or death records for her siblings (if she had any) or you may even find death records for her parents themselves giving the names of her grandparents.

If you are lucky, then "Feakle" may refer to the Catholic parish variously known as Upper Feakle or Killanena or Caher, for which records survive (offline) back to 1842. The records for Lower Feakle survive only from 1860 and are online.

smcarberry

Post by smcarberry » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:09 pm

I have something to contribute here, but these pieces of the puzzle will only be helpful if the approach is to map out each Rodgers family in the Feakle area and then choose one to zero in on. I agree that finding your Elizabeth's shipping information will be very useful, as it will better indicate whether she emigrated with her parents or went on her own. I know of some Rodgers of Feakle who emigrated in 1850 to Australia, and it is known that some of the Australian Clare-born did later re-settle in New Zealand.

As you are likely aware, the Griffiths Valuation for the Feakle area features two sets (perhaps the same individuals) of Rodgers men named Timothy/Thady, Bartholomew/Batt, and John. Those same three names likewise appear as fathers in baptisms on the early end of existing RC records for Liss and Maghera, which are significant in the history of the Rodgers family for whom I have newspaper items. Here is the link to the RC records:
http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclar ... rogers.htm

I believe that the Bartholomew b. 1846 is the decedent with a birth year of 1845 to '48 whose immigration year in U.S. census records shown as 1866/1867. He apparently went straight to central New York State, to Otsego County, where the total population of Irish men in their 20s in 1870 was just 163, very low for that time period. Nonetheless that is where he stayed, without marrying. Thus his 1905 probate named not only his U.S.-based relatives but also the ones back in Clare. I show those below in their various census listings. The surnames match up nicely with those shown in the early RC records at the provided link above. I think there is room for this Bartholomew to have had older siblings named Elizabeth (yours) b.c. 1844 and Thomas b.c. 1842. Thomas's death notice of 1904 is shown here; viewing his Clare death registration should provide his parents' names. As the RC baptisms show, an older Bartholomew, possible other brother of John (husband of Nancy Moloney), also had a son named Bartholomew, b. 1857. The sole known cemetery listing in the Feakle area for a Bartholomew has that decedent born in 1851. So, in the little corner of Clare, the men of that name are numerous compared to elsewhere in the county. Bartholomew as your John's possible sibling also had a daughter named Eliza. Care will needed to keep these names separate, and thus my items here are only a start in hopefully the right direction. I see that your Elizabeth did not use the forenames of any of these supposed uncles and brothers.

I have explored newspaper resources as thoroughly as I can for the U.S. and New Zealand, with nothing more that appears useful. So, here is what I found and I hope it can help. I am not researching the Feakle area for these surnames but I am doing McMahon in that general area for a longstanding research project involving the wife of a Carberry immigrant to Wisconsin. Perhaps Tom McDowell and/or Jim McNamara, who have long researched this part of Feakle and contributed so much online, have some views that will help.

Sharon Carberry

Bartholomew Rogers will probated in Otsego Co. NY 1905; several relatives named
those relatives are in 1901 Lyss, Loughea, East Clare; 45-yr-old Barth. also living there
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/p ... ghea/Lyss/

Batt b. 1851, Liss, d. 16 Jun 1916, burial Feakle, with children Lena, Catherine, Michael
http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclar ... tions2.htm

1870 NY Otsego Co., Otsego city, Cooperstown P.O., not an Irish neighborhood
Rogers, Batty 28 Ire RR section hand
in boarding house with a small group of men, including 4 others doing RR work (2 other Irish)

1900 – Bartholomew, img'd 1866, screenshot
living one unit away from James Brady, 68 Ire, img'd 1856
Brady and Rodgers in E. Clare RC records:
http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclar ... rogers.htm

1901 Lyss, Loughea
O'Shea
Thomas 38 farmer
Mary 25
Patrick 2
Margaret 1
Mary 1 mo.
Rogers
Thomas 58 father in law, farmer, wid. [death in Tulla Regis Dist. 1904, vol 4, p. 354]
Margaret 22 sister in law

different family -
Mary Rogers b. 1890 Liss Caher , mar'd John Dooley, 2nd son Barth., resided Tulla
http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin ... &id=I20333

1911 Rylane, Rathclooney, Clare
Rogers, Annie 30 single, niece [possibly dau of Thomas Rogers, Lyss, Loughea in 1901]
O'Shea, Margaret 11 niece [age 1 in 1901, family of Thomas & Mary (Rogers) O'Shea, Lyss, Loughea]
in household of Charles Naughton, farmer, single, and brother Daniel 67, married

1901 Rylane, Rathclooney – all in same household
Naughton: Patrick 60 single, Daniel 55 married, Charles 50 single, brothers, farmers
Rodgers: Annie 21, Charlotte 19, nieces
Charlotte's birth: Tulla Regis Dist 1881 vol.4 p. 529

Ellis Island ship record: arrived NYC 25 Sep 1908
Rogers, Michael Joseph 28 b. 1880 Feakle
Father John Rogers, Feakle, Clare
Cousin Michael Naughton, 1961 Amsterdam Ave, New York

1901 Lyss, Loughea
Rogers
Margaret 60 wid., farmer
Mary 25
Michael 21
Margaret 18
Patrick 54 boarder, single, farmer [likely a b-i-l]

Ellis Island ship record: arrived NYC 7 Nov 1914
Naughton, Michael 20 b. 1894 Feakle
Father James Naughton, Laccaroe, Feakle, Clare
Uncle Daniel Naughton, 132 Blair St, Ithaca, New York
and
arrived NYC 17 Apr 1902
McNamara James 21 b. 1881 Feakle [named in the Bartholomew Rogers 1905 probate]
Sister Mrs P. Regan [Ryan ?], 358 West 127th St, New York

brother of James McN. back in Clare ? 2 possibilities
1901 Lacarrow, Feakle
McNamara
Timothy 53
Michael 23
James 21
Kate 24
Anne 20
OR
1901 Magherabaun, Ayle
Mc Namara
Margaret 56 [nee Rodgers ?]
Michael 23
Margaret 20
James 18 [a bit young for the immigrant James]

1911 – nothing definitive for Michael McN.

James McNamara Birth: 01 Dec 1879 Birthplace: Clare, Ireland
Father: James McNamara Mother: Margaret Rodgers
LDS film 256041
same parents:
Ann b. 5 June 1875 LDS film 255932
Michael b. 8 June 1876 Magherabawn LDS film 255955
Margaret b. 5 Mar 1878 Magherabane LDS film 256012

Rootschat postings on McN & Rogers of Cloonagro, to Oz
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.ph ... 068.0.html
Rodgers, Brady Cooperstown NY 1900.jpg
Rodgers, Brady Cooperstown NY 1900.jpg (180.4 KiB) Viewed 16394 times
Rogers of Feakle, NYwill, 22 Dec 1905 OswegoFarmer.jpg
Rogers of Feakle, NYwill, 22 Dec 1905 OswegoFarmer.jpg (43.33 KiB) Viewed 16394 times
Rodgers 1904 Feakle dth.jpg
Rodgers 1904 Feakle dth.jpg (35.48 KiB) Viewed 16394 times