Driscoll

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

Driscoll

Re: Driscoll

Post by Driscoll » Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:35 pm

Hi Sharon,

I am beginning to wonder if my direct ancestor Thomas Driscoll was the son of James Driscoll and Mary Mc Grath as in one record that might fit (Dec 6 1829 St Senan's County Clare) there is a Thomas Driscoll with these parents with an O'Connor as a witness. Perhaps James Driscoll remarried; in any case I cannot find a Hannah or Emma Connors connected to James Driscol. The Mc Grath name appears in a Driscoll/Dowling plot; I will investigate this further.

I have more than one reference to her as the wife of James Driscoll maybe all the family members made the same error or she was a second wife or she was a witness with the surname O'Connor instead of being the mother.

I found something that might help you or that you already know.

I found on ancestry Pennsylvania and New Jersey, Church and Town Records 1708-1985 John Jackson Carberry marriage to Catherine Dowling Cart father James Carberry.

My Driscoll ancestors are linked to the Dowling family; what Cart is I do not know. This may help in learning more about Carberry's in Montreal.
Do let me know if this means anything regarding your search.

Richard

smcarberry

Post by smcarberry » Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:28 pm

Richard,

Sorry to say that Dowling doesn't figure into my family history, in the U.S. or Canada. I am fortunate in knowing the Clare parish where my Carberry family had its records before they left for Canada and the U.S., as well as their U.S. parishes. All are accounted for. Thanks for taking time to let me know about that Penn. record.

Regarding the St. Senan's record you listed, I hope you realize that refers to Kilrush in West Clare. I also caution you that relying on any one record can be risky. I far prefer a "totality of the evidence" approach, which requires collecting all possible records and seeing what the bottom line is, after giving due allowance for errors and exaggerations.

In any case, it is great to see you seeking and posting.

Sharon C.

Driscoll

Post by Driscoll » Sun Mar 13, 2016 10:54 pm

Hello Sharon,

Is there any chance that you printed the 1861 census record showing our Driscoll and Carberry ancestors living at the same location that you could attach in a reply otherwise I will request the local library to order the microfilm. (The local library has been insistent that all the census is on line; I have been equally insistent that it must not be otherwise I would find Thomas Driscoll; I even tried using one "L" or an e at the end).

Thank you for your comment regarding St. Senan's. With your ancestor connected to mine in the 1861 census in Montreal and your ability to find him in O'Callaghan Mills I will probably discount St. Senan's as the origin of my Driscoll ancestors. Also with a connection to county Laois involving Carey and Carroll families I think east Clare is their origin; (Thomas Driscoll's wife was Eliza Carey and a there is Carroll nephew whose record of birth I found) I will search county Laois. I know the parish.

I am beginning to think that I cannot find a baptism record of my Driscoll ancestor and his brothers in O'Callaghan Mills as the records there begin after their births. I am looking in neighboring parishes with no luck so far.

Regards,

Richard

Richard

Driscoll

Post by Driscoll » Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:05 pm

Hello Kerry,

Thanks for your post.

My Driscoll ancestor was born late 1820's and at least one brother in the 1830's. The first names are Thomas, Michael, Patrick, James and John.
There were two James who were adults living at the same time. The trail takes me from county Clare to Rutland Vermont then Ste. Sophie Quebec and then Montreal Quebec.

The surnames Dowling, Carey and Carroll are interconnected to Driscoll.

I mention this in case in helps establishing any connection to your family tree.

Regards,

Richard

smcarberry

Post by smcarberry » Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:28 am

Richard,

Regarding the 1861 census film that I viewed at the Fort Wayne Public Library, this is every scrap of identifying info I have for it:

ACL Roll 118, C-1233 reel 230
1861 Montreal, St. Ann's Ward 3, folios 1028-4178
p. 1782, enumerated 14 Jan 1861, no street address shown

I hope that helps. I can't provide a full name for the "ACL" part but perhaps an archivist will recognize the acronym. You may want to call the Fort Wayne Library as they are so devoted to genealogy there that they may well know how you in your location can obtain this film.

Sorry I cannot be of more help.

SMC

Driscoll

Post by Driscoll » Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:36 pm

Hello Sharon,

I have ordered a microfilm from the Later Day Saints. Hopefully it will have the record you mentioned (there are three other microfilms that the record may be on).
Should I find it do you wish to have a scan of it?

Today I found a John Carberry getting married in May 1853 to a Judy last name hard to read, in Stradbally; County of Laois. Is this of interest to you (I printed the page)?

The more I research the more connections I find to Carberry, Driscoll, Dowling, Carey and Carroll surnames. These connections lend support that my Driscoll ancestors came from around O'Callaghan Mills. Hopefully the day will come when I find a baptismal or marriage record to confirm my suspicions.

I am also going to the Toronto Library(only an hour away) to search a reference book that has the marriages and baptisms for a parish where my great grandparents Thomas Driscoll and Eliza Carey's first child was baptized (Ste. Sophie). Perhaps I will find them married there.

Regards,

Richard

smcarberry

Post by smcarberry » Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:51 pm

Richard,

That was kind of you to note and keep a page for John Carberry of Laois with an 1853 marriage apparently in Montreal. I am past the point of collecting "stray" Carberry info for Canada, as there are not enough descendants out looking for family history, at least not on the web pages I visit. From previous data mining, I am aware of Carberry/Carbray in Montreal during the 1800s from various Irish counties, such as Tipperary, Mayo, and Tyrone.

In quickly reviewing my Montreal notes, though, I found a misspelled Carey that I should pass along to you, in the attachment shown below, an 1848 marriage in the RC parish records of Sts. Anges (Lachine, Montreal) which I translated from the original French. There is a Lot Carey age 58 in Burlington VT in the 1850 with a daughter Mary almost of marriageable age. I also show the portion of my notes that shows an 1848 baptism involving a mother who was a Slattery. I only extracted names of interest to me and any for people noted as being from Clare.

I wish the best for you on your research trip to Toronto. While I have good access to Montreal city directories, censuses, parish records, and burials, what I have been lacking all these years are digitized newspaper articles. The family story is that our Patrick Carberry died in trying to stop a runaway horse. The Pointe Claire church has his death record, without mention of the cause, but with an exact date of 4 Jan 1855. If ever you get a chance to review a Montreal newspaper for that week, please check for any mention of that incident. Thanks very much.

Sharon C.
1848 Sts.jpg
1848 Sts.jpg (27.1 KiB) Viewed 22720 times

Driscoll

Post by Driscoll » Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:42 pm

Hello Sharon,

The John Carberry I found was married in Country Laois in Ireland and not in Montreal I will scan and attach later this week in a reply.

Regarding old newspapers in Montreal I found this but it is not free. Other searches I did do not go back to 1855 at least for English papers in Montreal I will try Pointe Claire papers. I will inquire when I go to Toronto which should be some time this month.

http://newspaperarchive.com/serp-lockdown-v5?plan=18410

I hope I will find Thomas Driscoll and Eliza Carey marrying in Ste. Sophie as their first daughter was baptized there. There were Carey's living in the area of Ste. Sophie before Eliza Carey arrives in Canada; there is must be a family connection between her and the Carey's already there. it would be logical for her , her sisters and brother to make a connection with relatives already in Canada. This is before they go to live in Montreal. Ste Sophie is around 50 miles from Montreal.

I too have a relative off on a branch of the family tree that was kicked by a horse pulling a carriage or cart. He refused to go to the hospital as in those days (very late 1800's) you went to a hospital to die. Anyhow not going cost him his life as he bled to death internally. I knew his daughter; we called her cousin Eliza ( she was my maternal grandfather's cousin); thanks to her I have copies of pictures of very many ancestors and their families; one dates to 1866 and this story as well as many others; she often said I resembled my mother's side of the family; she was a wonderful lady and gee could she drink Irish Mist; but I never knew her to get drunk.Telling this story helps me to remember and keep one more person from fading all away into the past. Genealogy is my way of keeping alive loved ones I knew and those before them. I am very sentimental so thanks for reading this it felt good to think of cousin Eliza again.

Richard

Driscoll

Post by Driscoll » Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:39 pm

Hello Sharon,

Attached is the document I promised.

Let me know if I attached it properly.

Regards,

Richard
Attachments
Thomas Carberry marriage May 29, 1853.jpg
Thomas Carberry marriage May 29, 1853.jpg (736.83 KiB) Viewed 22697 times

Driscoll

Post by Driscoll » Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:13 pm

Hello Sharon,

It has been some time since I last posted.
I did find the record of my ancestor in the 1861 census (Thomas Driscoll). What a time I had convincing the local library that not all records were on line. Thankfully I found the record through the Mormon Church (family search). This document is an incredibly important one as thanks to you I was able to narrow my search in County Clare.

I was able to photograph it and I am wondering if you would like me to send you a copy since it has mention of Thomas Carberry?

In your Sept 17 2015 post you mention a Mary Ann Driscoll, could you kindly post all the details you found regarding her and her family?

I continue to research many branches of my family tree and my wife's; very recently I found out what happened to Patrick Driscoll a brother to my direct ancestor.

Richard

smcarberry

Post by smcarberry » Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:59 pm

Richard,

I went through my notes and found those references to Mary Ann Driscoll, the one born about 1858. I will send that info to you in a private message. I would normally just post it here so that it might illustrate how to develop leads, but there are circumstances that require that I not do that regarding your family or mine. Please also do not post publicly anything you think relevant to my family. Via this Forum, I was contacted this past year by a non-relative who has been documenting my family, after I did a comprehensive posting many years ago on a Clare mailing list. Her methodology has been collect every scrap of info possible on my family in every generation, although she can't find a link to her own line. That includes finding and looking at property owned by us. This person then posted all of it, including her opinions, on her family tree which is widely available. Because those whom she investigated are very private people, she jeopardized my ability to discuss matters with living descendants, and I asked that she take my family off her tree that is published to the world. I depend on her continued cooperation, so that is all I will say about this.

Sharon C.