History of Various Halpin Families Co. Clare

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

kvnptrck11

History of Various Halpin Families Co. Clare

Post by kvnptrck11 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:49 pm

Hopefully this is useful to somebody, and if not, hopefully it can be useful to me.

I took a map that I found of the the civil parishes of Co. Clare, then found all people of the surname "Halpin" in the
Tithe Applotment
Griffith's Valuation
1901 Ireland Census
1911 Ireland Census

and then colour-coded the various civil parishes based on where the several Halpin families showed up in those records. The colors vary depending on if there was consistently a Halpin family in a given civil parish. There's a "key" to the meaning of the colors in the bottom right corner, you might have to zoom in and its a little blurry, but it should be legible. Anyone, especially those with Halpin ties in Co. Clare feel free to comment and what not.
Attachments
History of Halpins in County Clare, Ireland.pdf
(217.64 KiB) Downloaded 522 times

Kurt in S.A.

Re: History of Various Halpin Families Co. Clare

Post by Kurt in S.A. » Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:38 pm

Isn't something like this already done here:

http://www.ourlibrary.ca/phpbb2/viewtop ... f=1&t=5117

kvnptrck11

Re: History of Various Halpin Families Co. Clare

Post by kvnptrck11 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:36 pm

It is close but it doesn't include information from the 1911 Census. The map system you are referencing was where I got the idea for this map. That map system is pretty cool, but in the 60 seconds I spent looking through it, I did not find a way to overlay all three at once (Tithe, Griffith's and 1901 Census). So, yes essentially this is a spin off of that mapping system. That mapping system is good for seeing where a given surname is most concentrated, while the map I compiled is intended more for tracking the movement or lack thereof, of Halpins within the county. I