researching McGreen's from Kilkee

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

Floridafurball

researching McGreen's from Kilkee

Post by Floridafurball » Sun Jun 17, 2007 1:48 pm

I am researching my relatives from Kilkee. Patrick and Mary Magner McGreen had Maggie, James (prinicpal), Nora, Charles, Susan, Annie and Michael (barber) all born in Kilkee. Anyone with information please contact me.

Diahann
Floridafurball@bellsouth.net

Paddy Casey

McGreens in Kilkee

Post by Paddy Casey » Sun Jun 17, 2007 9:24 pm

Diahann,

Go to the Clare Library website at http://www.clarelibrary.ie and enter "McGreen and Kilkee" into their search engine. Plenty of stuff there.

Also, consider alternative spellings of the name McGreen when searching, e.g. McGreane and McGrane.

Paddy

jjaob

M'Grin's from the town of Kilkee

Post by jjaob » Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:45 pm

Hi Diahann,

Paddy is right to suggest looking at a different spelling for Green. The RC parish of Kilkee is the old civil parish of Kilfearagh, so keep this in mind when doing your research.

From Griffiths Valuation 1855 I can tell that there are no Greens or McGreens in Kilfearagh but there are McGrin's and McGrinns, located in Pound St. and Chapel Street.

I then checked the Tithe Applotment Book (1827) for same parish and I found a Patrick, Michael and Thomas M'Grin.

In Co. Clare the Irish surname ÓhUaithnigh was anglicised as Green.

Hope this helps,

John O'Brien

Floridafurball

Post by Floridafurball » Thu Jun 21, 2007 2:15 pm

I have had success as far as I found my relatives on the 1901 census, and in the biographical notes in the Clare Library, and I was in touch with a McGreen cousin living in Limerick, but she feel ill and I have not heard from her in quite some time. I was looking to connect with any relatives still living in the area. I have found cousins in England, Isle of Man and Canada. Still looking for more. Thanks for all the advice, can always use it. Did not know about the name before it was anglicised, however the McGreen and McGrin does appear to be the same family.

jjaob

Eircom Phone Book/Greene/Kilkee

Post by jjaob » Sun Jun 24, 2007 5:23 pm

Hi Diahann,

I got these names from the online Eircom phone book.

http://www.eircomphonebook.ie/search/Cl ... reene.html

Greene, Francis & Claire
Lisdeen Kilkee Clare
(065)9083888

Greene, Gearoid
Farrihy Kilkee Co. Clare
(065)9056937

Greene, John Gearoid
Farrihy Kilkee
(065)9056732

Greene, R
Newtown Kilkee