Finding family ancestors' before Tithe & Griffith reports

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

treatycity

Finding family ancestors' before Tithe & Griffith reports

Post by treatycity » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:32 am

I have hit a brick wall finding early information on the Gorman/O'Gorman ancestors' of my maternal GGGFATHER Jerimiah (Darby) Gorman/O'Gorman born 1804 Fodry Kilbaha (Moyarta/Kilballyowen) Co Clare.
Jerimiah died Mar 15 1879. As per the Griffith report of 1855 Jerimiah was farming 12 acres approx
in Fodry but he does not appear in the 1826 Tithe report for Fodry.
No early Gorman family records were found in the current O'Gorman working farm in Fodry.

(Jerimiah married Ellen Fennell from Fodry and through ancestry.com etc and present day Fennells I have her Fennell ancestors reliably confirmed back to 1760)

Any ideas where to look for earlier information/records for the Gorman /O'Gorman side before 1855?
Thanks,
Paddy

pwaldron

Re: Finding family ancestors' before Tithe & Griffith report

Post by pwaldron » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:45 pm

I am surprised to see the words "reliable", "ancestry.com" and "1760" in the same sentence! I can't think of any county Clare databases earlier than the Tithe Applotment Books of the 1820s which I have come across on ancestry.com. As ancestry.com encourages beginners who know nothing about genealogy to guess their family trees and publishes these guesses on its website and uses them as the basis of its hints to other users, it should not be considered a reliable source per se. Some of the transcriptions and images of original records published by ancestry.com itself are quite reliable, but should be cited explicitly.

Can you please enlighten us as to which ancestry.com databases helped you to go back to 1760?

Paddy eile.

treatycity

Post by treatycity » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:30 pm

Paddy eile.
I should not use the word reliable as the information was gathered using the Ancestry.com family tree for the current Fennell family in the USA plus speaking with current Fennell families & others living in Fodry and Ireland.
The Fennell information is not taken from any official Ancestry.com data bases. Sorry.

My original subject question stills stands.
I am hoping that you as an expert on Moyarta might be able to help?
Thanks,
Paddy

mgallery

Post by mgallery » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:39 pm

The only reliable earlier sources that I have found may not be a lot of help to you.
1. Newspaper marriage and death announcements (not every family did them mine did)
2. land leases (the inchiquin patpers which probably wont help with Moyarta). The Fflolliott index (for marriage and death announcements).
You could try looking a the Fodry land movements in the registry of deeds. Look at the lives on leases they are normally relatives, in my case brothers in law or brothers and their children.
3. The Griffiths cancelled valuation books might tell you if someone else was there, I have not done this but have been dent papers by those who have
4. there is the 1821 freeholders on Clare library website.
I have been able using all of these sources to separate out different individuals in families but
- we had uncommon names
- We had marriage and death announcements.
We had merchants in Ennis who put in ads in papers

pwaldron

Post by pwaldron » Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:25 am

Paddy

I can't really add to Margaret's comprehensive list of early sources.

If you post a link to the ancestry.com tree that you consider reliable, others may spot ways of filling gaps in it.

Likewise, if you post a link to the Tithe Applotment Book page(s) for Fodry on the National Archives website, others may have some explanation as to why the O'Gorman family doesn't appear.

There are Gormans and Fennells from nearby townlands mentioned in this thread:
http://www.ourlibrary.ca/phpbb2/viewtop ... f=1&t=2010

\pw

treatycity

Post by treatycity » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:33 pm

Margaret,
Greatly appreciate your help and will follow up on your 4 suggestions.
Did not know about the Rosemary Ffolliott's Newspaper Index for Ennis 1758-1821 etc.
Thanks.

PW,
Your link to viewtopic confirmed the Fodry Fennell family connection and opens the possibility that the O'Gormans married in to the Fennell land through a land dowry or tenant in common.
This might explain why O'Gorman is missing on the 1826 Tithe report for Fodry but appears on the 1855 Griffith report for Fodry.
The 1826 Fodry Tithe report for the principle tenant use's the annotation "Part or Co" which I believe means that the land was also used by a number of "tenants in common".
I assume no lists, reports, or names exist for these poorer "tenants in common".
Thanks,
Paddy