Drumcliff Old Graveyard (Ennis) - YouTube clip

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

Paddy Casey

Drumcliff Old Graveyard (Ennis) - YouTube clip

Post by Paddy Casey » Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:09 pm

I just noticed two fairly long video clips taken by a family researcher wandering through the Drumcliff graveyard in 2007. It's a bit wobbly-camera and much zooming in and out but it gives a general impression of the landscape.

See http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwoxjWrTw58
and
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wVojJeY-H4&NR=1

Paddy

smcarberry

Re: Drumcliff Old Graveyard (Ennis) - YouTube clip

Post by smcarberry » Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:43 pm

I enjoyed seeing the videos. Thanks for posting that, Paddy. Actually this has a bit more background to it, which itself is interesting. The mother and daughter (apparently from Britain based on their speech and the fact they could have their dog with them) are descendants of Margaret Brooks, whose gravestone has Cregaun on it as shown in their video, the one not involving Drumcliff Cemetery but rather a small rural cemetery. That Margaret would seem to be related to this one for whom the Clare Library has a biographical notice:
Brooks Margaret Cregaun, Doora 24 Apr 1987 Death

Well, this Cregaun is in the vicinity of Moyriesk, which we have discussed in the past in terms of James Vesey Fitzgerald. It
is also due east of Declan Barron's Newpark House. However, Declan's Brooks relatives do not seem to be from Cregaun,
as the applicable Clare biographical notice appears to be:
Brooks Thomas Shessive, Lisseycasey - New York 06 Nov 1981 Obit

I believe this Thomas is the same one which I located for Declan a few years ago, when he requested research:
"I am trying to find 2 cousins who left Co.Clare, Ireland for Buffalo, N.Y.
Thomas Hehir b. 1859 son of Michael and Anne Reilly
Thomas Brooks son of John and Mary Reilly b. about 1870"

I did not locate Thomas Hehir but I did find Thomas Brooks as a police officer in the area of Buffalo, with a line of descendants who continued in police work through the present day. Declan never informed me that I was in error on this,
so I think the connection was in fact made.

There is a recent twist on this, and I will need to do more for my own family history on Reilly. Peter Carberry, who left
Clare in 1864 for Illinois, started a second family there which included a daughter Rose, who married Michael Reilly before she died at age 23 in 1904 in Chicago. Judie Mason who has been such a key person in my research efforts has sent me an obituary of Rose Carberry Reilly's brother-in-law, who is buried in Peter Carberry's plot in Mount Carmel Cemetery (Peter's plot lacks a burial for Michael Reilly, who likely re-married):

Chicago Daily News March 10, 1908 p. 17
REILLY, PATRICK C., March 9, beloved son of Anthony, brother of Peter, Thomas, Joseph, Michael and Anthony. Funeral Wednesday at 9:00am from 49 Oakley. St. Malachy Church by carriages to Mt. Carmel Cemetery

All this just occurred this week, so I cannot say anything further at this point.

Sharon Carberry