Gravestones - Kelly - Drumcliffe

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

cathy kelly

Gravestones - Kelly - Drumcliffe

Post by cathy kelly » Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:56 pm

hi all.
i have been to co clare ireland to do some research on my family. i was give the dates of my grandparents birth and deaths. i am having troubel finding their graves. i know they were bired in drumcliffe cemetary. i did spend a good few hours looking for them,but no joy. my nan is annie kelly (nee cole) born 1889 died 3/1/1940. my grandad was born 1884/85, and died 11/11/1955 whos name was thomas kelly. any one out their who can help. i have checked all the sites with cemetarys on them but their is no sign of them.
thank you for taking your time to read this.
best wishes
cathy

mikejr

Re: Gravestones - Kelly - Drumcliffe

Post by mikejr » Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:05 pm

Hi Cathy

Myself and my partner are going to visit Ennis as part of a five day trip of Ireland and we will hopefully visit the town and Drumcliff cemetery in May this year.
Her grandfather was Patrick Kelly b 1912 d 1945 he married Mary McAlister in 1937 London Marylebone.
They had only one child Michael Christopher Kelly b 1937 Ennis this is my partner's father.
It would be great if you could get in touch.

Regards

Mike

sadhbh

Post by sadhbh » Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:30 am

Hi Cathy,
There is a film of the Drumcliff Burial Register in the Local Studies Centre in Ennis (http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/librar ... studi1.htm). I checked it for you grandparents' burials. The page for 1940 is illegible but I found Thomas' entry in 1955. It just states that he is buried in the Old Cemetery - (some of the graves are given numbers, but not this one). Clare Roots Society has transcribed the headstones in the Old Cemetery here:
http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclar ... _ennis.htm but this grave isn't listed. This suggests that perhaps the headstone isn't still standing, or it's illegible. The original registers are held in Clare County Archives (http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/archiv ... _index.htm) and might be easier to read than the films. Maybe Annie's entry gives a grave number. A map showing the grave numbers is kept in the Local Studies Centre in Ennis.

sadhbh

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:53 pm

Hi Sadhbh

I am very interested to hear that there are burial records for Drumcliffe. Do you know the start and finish dates, please?

Sheila

sadhbh

Post by sadhbh » Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:18 am

Hi Sheila,
the dates of the film of the Drumcliff burial register are July 1888 – March 1964 and April 1974 – January 1995

sadhbh

Sduddy

Post by Sduddy » Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:59 am

Hi Sadhbh
That's good news. Thank you very much.

Sheila