Did/does a place called Moohan exist?

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

Strebordale

Did/does a place called Moohan exist?

Post by Strebordale » Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:26 pm

I asked in the Genealogy section about my Great Grandmother Charlotte Doherty, daughter of Patrick Doherty, who must have emigrated to Liverpool sometime between about 1860 - 1878.
The 1911 UK census says she was originally from Moohane (or possibly Morhane).
My initial research seemed to suggest such a place existed, possibly a parish in or around Kilrush. I have also seen reference to Tomfinlough but can't remember where!
I asked for information in January and Paddy Casey kindly replied but he referred to a Mrs. Charlotte Doherty as an entry in the death register. Charlotte Doherty had married and was living in Liverpool as Mrs Charlotte Weir up to her death.
I am at this stage just trying to establish if I have the correct information about the place name.
Can you help/advise please?
Thanks,
Dave Roberts

sadhbh

Re: Did/does a place called Moohan exist?

Post by sadhbh » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:47 am

Hello Dave,
There is a townland called Mooghaun North near Newmarket-on-Fergus in Tomfinlough Parish. In 1901 the census shows a family of Dohertys living there, including a Charlotte, aged 80. See pg
http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclar ... h41_14.htm of the library's website. You can see the location of the townland on this map: http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclar ... nlands.htm. It lies between Ennis town and Shannon Airport.

Regards,
Sadhbh

Strebordale

Post by Strebordale » Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:13 pm

Thanks Sadhbh,

I had a look at the 1901 census.
Given the names and the fact they are farmers gives me some hope.

I now ned to find out if there are still Doherty's farming in the area.
There is a Mooghaun Farm on the "Goireland" website but I tried and failed to send them an email.

If I go on Clare Libraries site will I be able to find who still farms in the area?

I'll give it a go and see what happens.

Once again, many thanks for your help.

Dave Roberts

Paddy Casey

Dohertys of Moohan/Mooghaun etc. etc.

Post by Paddy Casey » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:10 am

Dave,

You might like to check the Eircom phone directory at http://www.eircom.ie . It lists 4 pages of Clare Dohertys under Residential and 6 names under Business. Many are some distance from the localities you have in mind but there are a lot who could be relevant. I suggest you plot the names on a map and pick a couple who appear to be in "your" localities and give them a call. Even if they are not "your" Dohertys they may be able to tell you where yours are (or were). Why, they might even know of a Mooghaun Farm.

Paddy

Strebordale

Post by Strebordale » Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:55 pm

Hi Paddy,

Thanks for the advice, I have found the Doherty's you refer to. Some have addresses so I am thinking of writing. It might be a bit off - putting if I just telephone.

I really appreciate your help.

Regards,

Dave

Paddy Casey

Post by Paddy Casey » Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:39 am

Good to know that you found them, Dave.

How did you do so ? I'm always eager to learn new research methods.

Paddy

Strebordale

Post by Strebordale » Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:22 pm

Hi Paddy,

I used the hyper link you gave me and once into the site, clicked on the "Personal" directory.

Regards,

Dave