Thomas Corry of Miltown Malbay County Clare

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

Helen Raneberg

Thomas Corry of Miltown Malbay County Clare

Post by Helen Raneberg » Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:14 am

I am trying to locate Ancestors of Anthony and Joanna Corry of Miltown Malbay County Clare. I am a direct descendant of one of their sons, Thomas, he was my Great Grandfather. He came to Australia in 1855 with his brothers, Patrick and Michael on the ship Switzerland. The ship arrived in South Australia on 12th September 1855. I believe his Father may have been desceased at this time as the shipping directory shows Joanna (mother) Mary, Catherine, Margaret, James and the above three brothers. The only embarkation numbers shown are for Thomas, Patrick and Michael so perhaps the others did not leave on this ship. I am finding it difficult to find any information on the Mother and other siblings. I visited Miltown Malbay in late 2007 and enquired at the local Bakery if anyone knew of this family name and was told there were 3 families but I would have to know what Parish my Great Grandfather came from. Can anyone help me as I have no idea as to how to find out how the Parish system works in Ireland.
Thanks for any assistance
Helen Raneberg (nee Barry)

smcarberry

Re: Thomas Corry of Miltown Malbay County Clare

Post by smcarberry » Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:11 pm

I have just completed typing a database of court cases involving evictions for 1827-33, in which an Anthony Corry was a defendant in 1828 in the Barony of Clonderalaw, which includes Miltown Malbay. The plaintiffs in the case were Patrick
McNamara and James O'Donnell, but they were unsuccessful in obtaining a judgment, and no subsequent case against
Anthony Corry is shown in this time period. The involved civil parish was Kildysart. Church parishes are not shown in this
material but can be determined after you educate yourself on the topic by reading one of the following books, which will be
in your local library or available via interlibrary loan:

Irish records : sources for family and local history
Ryan, James G. ISBN 0916489760

Tracing your Irish ancestors : the complete guide
Grenham, John ISBN 0806313692

Radford, Dwight A. & Kyle J. Betit,
Discovering Your Irish Ancestors

Ouimetter, David S.,
Finding Your Irish Ancestors: A Beginner's Guide

Resources earlier than the 1820s are indeed very scarce, but I am always on the lookout for any. The 1827-33 database
is not online yet, but I reviewed my file of it to see if it had your Corry, and it did. It is very satisfying to see that the new
database is needed. It will be online fairly soon, on the Clare Library website. It does not have more than what I just
provided, as your ancestor was the only one involved in that court case. Some other cases involve unlisted defendants
which can only be determined from locating the actual court record.

I hope that, after you are familiar with the various jurisdictions shown in records, you can use the other material on the Library website and find more on your Corry family.

Sharon Carberry USA