Lingard New Zealand

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

mgallery

Lingard New Zealand

Post by mgallery » Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:44 pm

Hi

I am posting this as I have seen links on a UK (closed ) forum for someone looking for this mans brother
William Lingard was born at Cooga Ruan to Thomas Lingard captain Kings borderers and Waterloo veteran. His mother was Maria Kenny - a cousin of mine.
He emigrated to New Zealand in 1863 after studing in Edinburgh university and earned the New Zealand Cross in the Maori wars. He later set up a successful insurance agency in Wellington and came back to Clare on visits. His parents had a mixed marriage several of his sisters were nuns in the sisters of Mercy in Ennis. He was protestant. http://nzetc.victoria.ac.nz/tm/scholarl ... -b5-1.html
I have seen posts from someone looking for Roger Rowson Lingard his brother who also went to New Zealand. While I dont know anything about Roger I do have information on the rest of the Lingard siblings and on the sisters and the Kenny ancestry

Margaret

AnnS

Re: Lingard New Zealand

Post by AnnS » Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:21 am

I am researching my great grandmother Annie Lingard (migrated to Australia in 1874) and her father Thomas Lingard. There are 2 Thomas Lingards in the Griffiths valuation of 1855. Is it likely that Thomas Snr is the one married to Maria Kenny and the other is another sibling in this very large family? Annie's mother was Catherine Murphy.

mgallery

Re: Lingard New Zealand

Post by mgallery » Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:01 pm

No I am afraid not. There was one Thomas Lingard (he was actually John Thomas) of Cooga Ruan (I have since spoken with the New Zealand people who descend from his son Roger Rowson). He moved to Clare from the North of England. He was a protestant soldier who served at Waterloo. He was married to MAria Kenny and had a daughter Anna Maria Lingard who married John Madiagan MD

He was a well off local landowner all the farm refs are for him. He did not have a son called Thomas. He had a son called John thomas a local landowner . He married charity Roberts

This does not mean there is no relation but not one that jumps out.

rgds

Margaret