Murphy's or Garry's Pub at Knappoge/Ballycorick

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

murf

Post by murf » Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:21 am

My great grandparents Michael and Honoria Murphy raised their family in the small townland of Knappoge north of Ballynacally during the second half of the 19th Century. In Guy's Directory of 1893 under Ballynacally, Michael was listed as general merchant and vintner, and farmer. He was also listed in the Lissycasey section as flour and meal dealer and grocer etc., Ballycorick.
The Ennis 1931 Trades Directory (http://www.from-ireland.net/cla/direct/ennis31.htm#6 a website of Dr Jane Lyon) remarks on this multiplicity of occupations as follows:

"Many Public houses had a grocery section. You walked in the door and the grocery section was at the front of the shop with the pub at the back - usually a wooden division separating both. The Grocer or Publican may have had a field or more behind the building, cows were milked and the milk was sold to those who would bring in their 'Jimmy' cans."

Apparently my great grandfather owned such an establishment.
Also listed at Lissycasey under grocers etc was Michael Garry, Ballycorick. Michael Garry married the Murphys' eldest daughter Bridget, and presumably shared ownership of the business at Knappoge/Ballycorick with his father-in-law.
By the time of the 1901 census Michael Murphy had retired, and Michael Garry was now the resident publican.

Interestingly, Guy's Directory showed another Michael Garry at Kildysart who was also a vintner. Further to this, in the Ennis Trades Directory above was listed yet another Michael Garry, also a grocer and licensed vintner.
Was there a tradition in the Garry family that all their Michaels were to be grocer/publicans?

This all blends very nicely with a post in this forum 8 Dec 2006, by Sharon Carberry which presents a newpaper report on the 1898 funeral of Mr Pat Garry of Shanahea. Among the mourners are three Michael Garrys (all cousins, of each other that is), from Kildysart, Ballycorick and Ennis respectively.
The Drumcliff Graveyard contains a Michael Garry of Ennis who died in 1930, aged 56, so the Michael Garry listed in the 1931 Trade Directory was presumably of the next generation.

I realise that ownership of the land at Knappoge may be tracked by means of the Cancelled Land Books, but that will have to wait until my next visit to Ireland, hopefully later this year. In the meantime someone may have further knowledge of the Murphy/Garry establishment at Knappoge/Ballycorick and how long it survived into the 20th Century.

Kevin Murphy
QLD AUS

Paddy Casey

Re: Murphy's or Garry's Pub at Knappoge/Ballycorick

Post by Paddy Casey » Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:21 pm

Kevin,

Re. the "......someone may have further knowledge of the Murphy/Garry establishment at Knappoge/Ballycorick and how long it survived into the 20th Century....", someone with local knowledge may pop up here with all the information but, if not, you could phone two or three of the oldest residents in the area - people who would have been teenagers in the 1930s/1940s, say - and ask if they knew of the pub/grocery in question. If you do not already have personal contacts in the area you could call the Ballynacally post office (00353 65 6832123) and ask if they know of elderly people who might be knowledgeable. This suggestion sounds a little unconventional, I know, but it has worked for me with excellent results. Many of the people at the small post offices are from the area and can tell you the names of potential local oracles straight off. If you are unlucky you might get a young person in whom such a request triggers a "sorry, not allowed to tell, Data Protection" or other such legalese but good telephone skills might get round that. It's definitely worth a try.

Once you get the elderly residents on the phone you will be amazed at their readiness to help with information. The odd one will decline but most are helpful or very helpful. Some of them just won't stop talking or give you a breather so that you can take notes.

Definitely worth a try.

Paddy

murf

Post by murf » Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:26 pm

Thanks for that suggestion Paddy, but rather than blow my phone budget I think I might wait until I visit the area in person before I go down that track.
In the meantime I've dug up some useful info at EPPI (http://www.eppi.ac.uk/eppi/digbib/ssearch). If you enter the name of a townland it comes up with (among other things) summary details of the various censuses. Because the townland of Knappoge is so small, just 44 acres, the census summaries are especially useful.
In 1841 Knappoge supported a population of 126 living in 16 dwellings. By 1851 the population had plummeted to 54 living in 10 dwellings. This decline continued, and by the 1901 census there remained just two households, that of Pat Murphy and that of Michael Garry, living with his Murphy in-laws.
By entering "murphy knappoge" (minus the quotes) into the search box I came up with returns of judicial rents revised by the Land Commission on Appeal in June 1901. It seems that Pat Murphy at that time was renting the lion's share of the townland, almost 40 acres out of the 44 total. Not sure how much land the church occupies, but if you take that out then the parcel of land on which Michael Garry's grocery-cum-pub stood must have been quite small by comparison.

Regards
Murf

Paddy Casey

Post by Paddy Casey » Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:11 pm

Kevin,

Today I brought your posting on Murphy's or Garry's Pub at Knappoge/Ballycorick to the attention of Fíona de Buitléir, secretary of the Clare Roots Society and she scattergunned the members with your question. Already the first reply has arrived, from Larry Brennan, committee member and founding member of the Society. He says "From "Kildysart A Proud Heritage" by Mary Normoyle: Garry: This house was Martin Garry's and was a grocery shop. It is still occupied by the Garry family, it is now a private house". I understand that Mary Normoyle's book was published around the year 2000.

I am told that more information on the Garry house is coming in from another member of the Society. The informant's name is - hold your breath - Garry.

Watch this space !

Paddy

murf

Post by murf » Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:27 am

Paddy you are so resourceful.
I wait with baited breath.

Murf

Paddy Casey

Post by Paddy Casey » Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:02 am

Kevin,

More info just arrived from Clare Roots Society member Mary Hester*. I quote:

"Beannachtai na casca ort. With regard to email tracing Murphy/Garry family, the pub in question is now owned by Mary Donnelly whose mother was MaryGarryKing.
It is called The Five Arches and is now beside Ballycorick Church, Ballynacally. It was originally a few hundred yards north in Knappoge. This may be of interest to
your correspondent".

So now we are a step nearer. The Five Arches is probably visible on Google Earth but my Windows system is down at the moment so I can't check it out. You might like to take a look and see what they are serving for lunch today.

Anyway, stay on the edge of your seat ! The Clare Roots Society is really motoring this Easter weekend !

Paddy

* Mary Hester is a retired school teacher from Ballynacally (dixit Larry Brennan). She is also involved in the documentation of three local graveyards. Heck, you can't get a much better local source than that ! P.

murf

Post by murf » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:09 pm

Many thanks Paddy for your efforts.
It's all in much clearer focus now.

Kevin Murphy