James O'Brien, Miltown Malbay, Co. Clare, Civil Bill Officer

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

Kevin J. O'Brien

James O'Brien, Miltown Malbay, Co. Clare, Civil Bill Officer

Post by Kevin J. O'Brien » Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:50 am

Can anyone tell me what a "Civil Bill Officer" is ?

James O'Brien 1826-1887 of Miltown Malbay was listed as a "Civil Bill Officer" on his death record.

This occupation title was also listed on his wife's Kate Moloney O'Brien's death record in 1879 " Wife of Civil Bill Officer"; son, James O'Brien's death record 1889 "son of Civil Bill Officer" and daughter, Kate O'Brien's death record 1870 "child of Civil Bill Officer".

James O'Brien's father, Malachy O'Brien of Main Street, Miltown Malbay listed in the 1893 Kilfarboy Parish Census was reportedly a "tax collector" in Miltown Malbay and not entirely popular among local populace.

I would be interested to know what this job did and how would some one get into this position. May this position have been handed down from James O'Brien's father, Malachy O'Brien?

If anyone is familiar with this family I would be interested knowing whatever happened to the children of James and Kate O'Brien

James O Brien and Catherine Moloney of Miltown Malbay, Co Clare, Ireland had the following children:
These are baptism dates.

John O'Brien 23-1-1859 sp John & Mary O'Brien
Bridget O'Brien 9-5-1860 sp James O'Brien & Mary Ann Ryan
Malachy O'Brien 6-7-1862 sp Thomas Moloney & Bridget O'Brien
Mary O'Brien 30-7-1864 sp William & Mary O'Brien
James O'Brien 27-1-1866 sp Thomas Moloney & Mary O'Brien died 7 Feb 1889
Michael O'Brien 20-10-1867 sp John Clancy & Bridget O'Brien
Catherine O'Brien 7-5-1870 sp Terrence O'Donnell & Catherine Clancy died 27 June 1870

Thank you,
Kevin J. O'Brien
Attachments
Death James O'Brien  23 Oct 1887 Civil Bill Officer crop.jpg
Death James O'Brien 23 Oct 1887 Civil Bill Officer crop.jpg (228.57 KiB) Viewed 7160 times
Last edited by Kevin J. O'Brien on Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mgallery

Re: James O'Brien, Miltown Malbay, Co. Clare, Civil Bill Off

Post by mgallery » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:21 am

Donal de Bharra from oac.ie has a lot of information on Miltown as they are based there. He may be helpful if you get onto him direct. I dont know if he follows this board

smcarberry

Re: James O'Brien, Miltown Malbay, Co. Clare, Civil Bill Off

Post by smcarberry » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:35 am

"What is CIVIL BILL COURT?

A tribunal in Ireland with a jurisdiction analogous to that of the county courts in England. The judge...is also chairman of quarter sessions, (where the jurisdiction is more extensive than in England,) and performs the duty of revising barrister."

Black's Law Dictionary
http://thelawdictionary.org/civil-bill- ... z2W5iRNZjJ