Rev. Huleatt (Ballyvaughan, Nenagh) returns wounded (1859)

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

Paddy Casey

Post by Paddy Casey » Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:25 pm

"The Rev. Mr. Huleatt, recently wounded in China, is daily expected to arrive at his father's, Ballyvaughan, County Clare. This young divine was greatly esteemed by the inhabitants of all classes and creeds in Nenagh, where he officiated as curate." (Irish Times, September 26 1859).

pwaldron

Re: Rev. Huleatt (Ballyvaughan, Nenagh) returns wounded (1859)

Post by pwaldron » Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:46 pm

I have a transcript of a letter written in September 1892 by Rev. Hugh Brady Huleatt (1822-1898) which appears to refer to the above incident:
on declaration of war in 1854 ... I applied for and obtained a Military Chaplaincy. I was sent in the Steam Transport `Prince' to the seat of war on the Heights before Sepastapol, where I remained until peace was declared. I was then sent out as senior chaplain with the Chinese Expedition where I was dangerously wounded in the disastrous assault on the Poiho Forts, and on recommendation of the officer commanding was promoted for my conduct on that occasion, and received a special pension for distinguished service as well as the usual allowance to wounded officers. On my return from China I married Cornelia Sophia, the daughter of Charles Pritchett Bousfield of 5 Adelphi Place Camberwell.
According to a plaque erected `by their only surviving child Hugh Huleatt Chaplain H M Forces' in Tuamgraney Church, his father `John Huleatt Esq of Cregg' `died June 30th 1841 aged 47.'

At the time of the Irish Times report, Rev. Hugh was probably on his way to visit not his long-deceased father but rather his uncle and namesake Rev. Hugh O'Brady Huleatt (c.1783-1867) who was Rector of Ballyvaughan.

For a lot more on this family, see "John Huleatt of Tuamgraney and the vicissitudes of his family" by Hugh Weir in The Other Clare, Vol. XI, March 1987, pp.42--43.

Paddy Casey

Post by Paddy Casey » Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:11 pm

Thanks very much for filling out the background on this interesting individual, Paddy.

On glancing through Hart's Annual Army List, Militia List and Imperial Yeomanry List I saw that Hugh Huleatt, MA, 1st class, was listed. The List notes that Mr Huleatt served in the Crimea from Nov. 1854 to the end of the war, with the 4th Division and Light Cavalry Brigade (Medal, and Turkish Medal). Was senior Chaplain to the China expedition in 1857, and was present at the capture of Canton (mentioned in despatches). Also at the assault of Shektsing in Jan .1859, and attack on the Takoo forts on 25th June 1859, and was there dangerously wounded in the groin while attending the wounded on the mud banks (Medal with Clasp).

In the Report of the Proceedings By Church congress (1883) the Rev. Hugh Huleatt, late Chaplain (First Class) of HM Forces is listed as Vicar of St John's, Bethnal Green.

A "Hugh Brady Huleatt, in holy orders" was also listed under County Clare in the List of Magistrates in the Commission of Peace, Ireland, (corrected up to the first day of May 1832; ordered by the House of Commons to be printed 15 June 1832).

A Rev.H.B.Huleatt is also listed as a patron of the school at Furnass in Co.Galway in the Eighth Report of the Society for Promoting the Education of the Poor of Ireland (Dublin, 1820).

Would it be correct to presumed that the latter two were the uncle and namesake that you mentioned (Rev. Hugh O'Brady Huleatt (c.1783-1867) who was Rector of Ballyvaughan) ?

Paddy

P.S. To get the very interesting background on the "attack on the Takoo forts" in which the Rev. Huleatt was dangerously wounded, Google "Taku forts 1859". P.

pwaldron

Post by pwaldron » Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:39 pm

Yes, Paddy, the dates make it fairly obvious that your last two references are to the uncle, who, by his two wives, Ellen Pennefather and Eliza Brew, was (according to the 1892 letter) father of twenty-one children, only fourteen of whom reached maturity.

The vicissitudes of the family continued beyond 1892 when the younger Rev. H. B. wrote his family history. He had three sons and six daughters.

The second son, Rev. Charles Bousfield Huleatt (1863-1908), lost his life in an earthquake in Messina, Sicily, along with his second wife, their three children, and his daughter from his first marriage. See
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Bousfield_Huleatt

The descendants of the third daughter, Cornelia Lilla Eugenie, have returned to Ireland, where they go by the double-barrelled surname Huleatt-James.

The eldest son, Hugh Huleatt (1860-1932) had one son and six daughters. His son, Francis Hugh Huleatt (c.1887-1917), died in WWI, leaving a one-year-old son, Hugh Huleatt (1915-1987) to carry on the family name.

It is amazing how easy it has become to trace an unusual surname from online sources!

\pw

Paddy Casey

Post by Paddy Casey » Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:01 am

Right you are, Paddy. And it's not only the vast amount of library and archive material that is coming on line thanks to the various scanning projects, e.g. Google, EPPI, the British Library Newspapers archive. Why, with Google Earth (punch in 38° 58′ 29.5″ N, 117° 42′ 43.8″ E) I was able to get a birdseye view of the mudflats where the Rev. Huleatt was wounded and Panoramio showed me a photo of a cannon terrace, possibly the one from which the shot which wounded him was fired. All from my desk in a warm room on the other side of the world with a G+T at my side.

Of course, the Peiho river may have shifted a lot since 1859 but if the extensive mud flats seen on the satellite images are anything like those over which the British and Americans had to fight in that "....disastrous assault on the Poiho Forts...." (dixit Rev. Huleatt) then one can see that the invaders must have been sitting ducks for the Chinese gunners, especially as the tide turned, reducing the maneuverability of the boats and possibly enmiring them.

Paddy