Irish Times freely searchable back to 1859 until Apr 6th

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

smcarberry

Irish Times freely searchable back to 1859 until Apr 6th

Post by smcarberry » Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:26 pm

As announced on another list, here is a link to the webpage of the Irish Times which until April 6th permits free searches of its article archives back to 1859, for which there normally is a charge.

http://www.irishtimes.com/search/archive.html

posted by
Sharon Carberry

Paddy Casey

Re: Irish Times freely searchable back to 1859 until Apr 6th

Post by Paddy Casey » Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:34 pm

Thanks very much indeed for flagging this valuable source, Sharon. I went straight to it, entered 'Tubber' as a search term and bingo!, up popped a report of the killing of Martin Grady in Burke's pub in Tubber in 1867. I'm related to O'Gradys of Tubber so I just phoned one of them to pass on the report. He was in the house of another Tubber cousin when I called him on his mobile phone so the report has already started on it way round the Tubber grapevine. It'll probably be a topic in the pub there this evening.

This cyberworld is amazing.

Paddy

smcarberry

Post by smcarberry » Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:24 pm

I too have been sifting through the Irish Times archives for anything of interest, not expecting to see a surprising event. The last surname I ran through was my own, and up popped an article appearing 27 Mar 1968 on how an hurling match in Tulla ended in the accidental death of a player named John O'Brien.
An interview was done with Patrick Carberry, a fellow Tulla hurler who had been involved in going after the ball just prior to its going airborne into Mr. O'Brien.

I had no glimmer, none, that any Carberry lived in the 1900s so close to my family's old townland of
Lakyle, where the last of my line left in the 1860s. I am aware that a Carberry from Tipperary had
a couple of sons' births registered in the Scariff district in the latter part of the 1800s, but that does not
explain how a Carberry shows up in Tulla in 1968. Now I suppose I have to get to phone directories as
close in time as possible to that year, so I can start tracking down that Carberry.

Sharon Carberry USA
direct ancestor: Patrick, son of Patrick

Paddy Casey

Post by Paddy Casey » Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:44 pm

On reading this, Sharon, I reached for my copy of "Over 50 Years of Clare Hurling Teams 1949-2001" compiled by my cousin Pa Howard of Tubber (see http://www.ourlibrary.ca/phpbb2/viewtop ... it=hurling ).

I couldn't find a Carberry in the 33-page finely-printed index of Clare Hurling names, nor could I find a Carberry or an O'Brien listed under the Tulla players.

Pa is not on the phone so I'll try to get a message to him by other means and see whether he knows of a hurling Carberry in or around Tulla.

Watch this space.

Paddy

smcarberry

Post by smcarberry » Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:03 pm

Thanks for the look-up, Paddy. It is odd that neither hurler appears in your book. I am still a bit stupefied by finding this event, so any additional info would be greatly appreciated and get me on a productive course.

Sharon C.