Handicapped Irish students 1829-33, also donors

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

smcarberry

Handicapped Irish students 1829-33, also donors

Post by smcarberry » Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:42 pm

Google Books has an old publication entitled
Fifth Annual Report(For the year, ending Easter-Monday, 1829) of The Juvenile Association, For Promoting The Education of the Deaf and Dumb of Ireland, Auxiliary To The National Institution
(Dublin: M. Goodwin, 1829)

Although the publication date is 1829, a handwritten list of covered years indicates the material extends through 1833.
There is no index that I could see. All Irish jurisdictions are listed alphabetically, not by county. Thus Ennis (town)
appears after Edenderry.

Here are some ways to reach sections that may be of interest: use the search engine provided for this publication for any surname or placename you wish, and /or
for a list of 90 students educated 1824-33 (which starts on p. 8) use the keyword Lyhane

for Ennis (p. 60) use keywords Vignolles or Vereker

for Galway, use keyword Poyntz

Within each given jurisdiction, there are groups of people who made donations for education, listed as being on a subscriber's card. Since I recognize some of the subscriber's names as being among the very wealthy, I believe
the contribution scheme was one similar to how funds are raised for medical research in the U.S., in which teams
are put together, with team members responsible for going out and getting monetary pledges from people they know.
So, this database is a way of seeing who was in the social circle of particular landlords or other members of the
gentry.

Sharon Carberry USA