Cornelius McMahon

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

Margaret22

Cornelius McMahon

Post by Margaret22 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:05 pm

Hello! I have done many years of genealogy and searching for my husband's grandfather,Cornelius McMahon I was stumped......until recently when i came across
Cornelius McMahon,from Clare that was excuted in 1923. Family info that my mother-in-law gave me was that her father died when she was around 3. She was born in 1920, and that he was involved in some sort of war in Ireland. and that they all were from county clare. I know that I am reaching far....but i was wondering if anyone knew if the Cornelius McMahon that was executed was married???? and to whom?
I would greatly appreciate any info anyone can give me.

Padraig Og O Ruairc

Re: Cornelius McMahon

Post by Padraig Og O Ruairc » Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:35 pm

Hello Margret,
I.R.A. Commandant Cornelious 'Con' Mc Mahon was executed by the Free State Army on the 20th of January 1923 in Limerick Prison along with his comrade I.R.A. Volunteer Patrick Hennessy. Both men were members of the I.R.A.'s Mid Clare Brigade and came from Clooney. They were courtmartialed for carrying illegal arms and taking part in the destruction of Ardsollus railway station near Dromoland. They were executed without recieving an appeal - they were just two of seventy seven I.R.A. members executed by the Free state during the Civil War 1922 - 1923.
The Clare Museum has in its collection the last letter of Patrick Hennessy who was executed with Mc Mahon. You can see it at http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/clarem ... etter2.htm. This page also mentions a woman named Murphy who has done research on Hennessy. You should be able to get her contact information from the Clare Museum itself.

- My information is that both men were from Clooney so you should be able to get marriage and baptismal records from the local church.
- Con Mc Mahons death certificate should be in Limerick as he was shot there.
- You should be able to find Cornelious Mc Mahon on the 1901 and 1911 census.
- You could try the Irish Military Archives in Cathal Brugha Barracks.
- There are copies of last letters written by republicans from Clare are reprinted in the Banner Annual [1956?] a copy of which is in the Clare Local Studies Centre Ennis. I dont know off the top of my head wether there is a letter from Mc Mahon included.

If you want to know more about the political circumstances surrounding his execution they are covered in my book "Blood On The Banner - The Republican Struggle in Clare." which is available from http://www.mercierpress.ie

I think theres also information about the destruction of Ardsolus Railway station in the book "In Time Of Civil War - The conflict on the Irish Railways 1922 -1923" by Bernard Share, Collins Press 2006.
I hope thats of use. If you do find you are definately related of have any further queries you can contact me at padraigoruairc@gmail.com I think I have a picture of Con Mc Mahon that I could e-mail you.

Padraig

cath m

Post by cath m » Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:16 pm

hi margaret
dont know if this is of any help but i think this could be his death certificate although it may not have anything relating to his marriage status
CORNELIUS MCMAHON DEATH JAN-MAR 1923 AGED 28YRS ESTIMATED BIRTH 1895 VOL 5 PAGE 211 LIMERICK
I looked on the 1901 census and found a Con aged 6yrs father Cornelius that matches his DOB

http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclar ... 123_15.htm

does your mother in law know her mums maiden name you may be able to find there wedding cert from her name found a Cornelius married 1916 Limerick if you know her mums name you could see if it matches up

smcarberry

Post by smcarberry » Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:55 pm

Here are two parts of this that I can add:

1. A photo of Cornelius is online with a write-up which also lists Clooney as his birthplace:
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.anc ... an-191.jpg

2. In the 1901 census, there is one McMahon family in Clooney, headed by Patrick, in which the two youngest sons
are shown as Conor age 6 and Vincent age 2; the townland is Feenagh. This area is northeast of Ennis, not near
Sixmilebridge.

In case this Clooney family is not right for your husband's line, the other boys in Clare 1901 who are possibilities are:
Corney age 4 of Rossroe's Feenagh, son of John (this location is near Sixmilebridge)
Corn. Michael age 12 of Ennis
Con age 6 of Feakle, son of Cornelius (the one mentioned in the reply posted just before me)

Sharon Carberry
administrator of Clare_McMahons YahooGroup

Margaret22

Post by Margaret22 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:19 pm

A warm and sincere thank you to all who replied to my post!! I was at a loss because no one has ever responded to anything i put on the internet. I am in the process of going over all the info you have given me and trying to figure out which Cornelius McMahon that we are related to. Since they were both same age....it is difficult....the picture did resemble my mother-in-law....but still i cannot be 100% sure. My husband's family is very greatful and thankful for everyones help in this endeavor. Thank you again....and as i mentioned...i am still going over all the info you have given us.....here is more info on our part. Bridget Veronica Canty m. Cornelius McMahon, they had two children: Thomas, and Margaret. Margaret Mary McMahon was born 1920. Baptized in St. Patrick church (Co.Clare). Bridget's parents were Patrick Canty and Margaret McNamara(i was told) Bridget came to America after her husbands death. I have that she arrived here with two children in 1927(according to her passport). But she came here earilier with only Tom i am told. And then went back for the other, who was living with Nuns in Ireland(i guess somewhere near or in Co. Clare) Cornelius was rumored to be involved in the IRA. Nothing was ever spoken about him. No pictures have ever been seen of him. I am the daughter -in-law of Margaret Mary McMahon Thank you,Everyone, again....i will keep you informed as soon as i am definite about which one it is. And if you can help me more in this endeavor it would be most welcome!!! Sincere and humble thanks,Margaret

cath m

Post by cath m » Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:31 pm

hi margaret good news i found bridget canty wedding details that match up with a cornelius mcmahon
BRIDGET CANTY LIMERICK JULY -SEPT 1916 VOL 5 PAGE 251
CORNELIUS MCMAHON LIMERICK JULY -SEPT 1916 VOL 5 PAGE 251
sounds like there wedding certificate

Margaret22

Post by Margaret22 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:26 am

Hello again everyone! I found in my papers where our Cornelius had a brother Thomas. There is no Thomas in the census that you provided me. Also that Thomas married Catherine Canty. The sister to our Bridget Canty. This just gets more and more confusing to me.....but i will stay with this till the end. Let me know if you know anything about Thomas.

sincerely, Margaret

Paddy Casey

Post by Paddy Casey » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:41 am

Margaret,

This might be muddying the waters but it is worth considering: in the townland of Magherabaun (the 1901 census that Cath M flagged to you) there are 5 McMahon families and one of them contains a Thomas, a 16-year old farmer's son who is listed in the household of Michael and Ellen McMahon. It is just possible that this Thomas was not a son of Michael and Ellen McMahon but was living at their house or just happened to be staying there when the census was taken.

This "fostering" was not uncommon in close-knit rural communities, especially if the families were closely related. One of my relatives in Clare could not be looked after by his mother because she was disabled by what I assume to be severe rheumatoid arthritis so he grew up in the home of close relatives about half a mile away.

Paddy

cath m

Post by cath m » Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:22 pm

margaret this family that sharon found in Clooney has a son called conor 6 and thomas 16 ,

http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclar ... h142_7.htm

i also notice Conor has younger brother named Vincent in one of the storys about Cornelius Macmahon ,it states that arrests were made in Clooney and Carraham of Con and Vincent McMahon ,dont know if they were brothers
http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/clarem ... etters.htm

had a look for Thomas and Catherine McMahon but couldn't find anything if you send for the wedding certificate of Cornelius and Bridget you might find the name of Cornelius's father on the wedding certificate

Margaret22

Post by Margaret22 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:30 pm

Hello everyone, This is what i have on her birth and Baptismal Cert. and why i was zeroed in on only Meelick

diocese of Limerick Parish of Parteen
Margaret McMahon was born on 14th day of August 1920 and was baptised on 15th day of August 1920 in the church of St. Patrick Parteen by Rev Edmund Russell

Parents cornelius McMahon Brigid Canty

Sponsors: Joseph Keane Mary Keane

where and how do i send for a copy of the marriage cert.??????

Margaret

cath m

Post by cath m » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:34 pm

you could try getting in touch with the church and ask them although i cant find an email address i did find this

St. Patrick (Parteen) St.John the Baptist (Meelick)

* Very Rev. Tom Carroll, P.P. 061-345613 / 087-2036229.
* Rev. Fred McDonnell, C.C. 061-325556 / 087-7706023.

Pastoral Council Contact Person:
Mr. Anthony O’ Brien, Blackwater, Ardnacrusha, Co. Clare. Tel. 061-340984.

i live in england so am not sure of the area somebody else may be able to give you an email address ,i did this for somebody in ennis the church confirmed my marriage with the correct date i then applied for the wedding certificate via this site

http://www.groireland.ie/
you have to print of the form and send it by post also you have to pay by credit card dont know what the cost would be for you but it was not expensive
also found this site
http://www.groni.gov.uk/index.htm
which actually looks better than were i got mine from good luck

Margaret22

Post by Margaret22 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:55 pm

Cath, Thank you , i will order a copy of the Marriage Cert. when i receive it i will let you know.

Sincerely,
Margaret

Padraig Og O Ruairc

Post by Padraig Og O Ruairc » Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:12 pm

Eh- Parteen and Meelick are nowhere near Clooney, they are just over the border from County Limerick/Limerick city.

Margaret22

Post by Margaret22 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:48 pm

well if Clooney is not near meelick, limerick....then i would guess that the famous Cornelius McMahon is not related. I will continue to send for the marriage cert. and let you know what i find out about "our" Cornelius McMahon.

Thanks,
Margaret

Margaret22

Post by Margaret22 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:16 am

Question: Is there anywhere i can find a copy of a passport or visa application 1927? This might help me find some clues.

I have figured that my Bridget McMahon was abt 42 when she came to america ....so i am thinking i need to find a cornelius mcmahon who may also been around that age when he died. She came to America in 1927....but her passport has very little other than her name. but i thought i might be able to find more on her application for her visa to America.