Cornelius McMahon

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

Margaret22

Re: Cornelius McMahon and Bridget Canty Marriage INFO

Post by Margaret22 » Sat May 02, 2009 7:00 pm

Hooray, i received the marriage cert....and we are not related to Con McMahon who was executed by the british.

1916 marriage at the Roman Catholic church of Meelick in the registrar's District of Cooleylasay in the Union of Limerick in the couty of Clare
June 28, 1916, Cornelius McMahon,age: full,condition:Bachelor, profession:Farmer
Residence: Moneen/Meelick, Father:Thomas McMahon<Farmer

Bridget Canty,age: Full,condition:Spinster,profession:Farmer
Residence: Derra/Meelick, Father Patrick Canty,Farmer

Married in the Roman Catholic Church of Meelick

this Marriage was soemnized between Us{Cornelius McMahon,Bridget Canty in the
Prence of us{ John Collins, Delia Gleeson( i am not sure i read the last name right)

Thank you all....now i need to back track a bit to 1901 census. Hope this info helps everyone!!!!!!!!!!!

Margaret22

Re: Cornelius McMahon

Post by Margaret22 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:12 am

village of Parteen, moneennagliggin, where would one possibly be buried if they lived in this area? I am now looking for the cemetery where my Cornelius McMahon may have been buried. His death is listed as 1922 as per his wife, Bridget (Canty)McMahon's naturalization papers. Thank you for any help you can give me. This is the best forum online for Irish research!

miriam scahill

Post by miriam scahill » Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:28 pm

Hi Margaret - I did a bit of research and found that Cornelius and Bridget were married in the civil parish of Killeely - Roman Catholic Parish of Meelick - to see the Church in which they were married - log on to www.clarelibrary.ie - Genealogy - Research Support and then Civil Parish Index - Killeely - You will find the townlands in Parish - Bridget came from Derrymore - - as you know Killeely is in Diocese of Limerick. Photos will show a Graveyard at the church - but there is also another Graveyard called 'Clonrush' in the Parish - I found this by looking at 'FOTO Web also on Genealogy on Clare Library - and searching for Meelick. To see the actual census forms log on to www.census.nationalarchives.ie - Census of 1901 or 1911 - and put in McMahon in the DED of Killeely - - I see the name is spelt Conelious and one of the addresses is also spelt wrong in transcribing. Cornelius's brother - Michael - is married in 1911 Census. You could write to the Parish Priest to see which cemetery Cornelius is buried in. I hope this helps. Miriam.

Margaret22

Post by Margaret22 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:13 pm

Thank you for all the research you have done.....i will try to follow up on this....and i promise to let you know what i find. I have Cornelius and Bridget's marriage cert.....so i know that his father was thomas....not sure his mother's name. but let me also see what i can find now that you have given me these leads! Thank you!! Have a good Day!!!~~~~Margaret

miriam scahill

Post by miriam scahill » Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:21 pm

Hi Margaret - Cornelius's mother's name was Catherine - when you go to http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie - and put in CLARE - MCMAHON and DED of Killeely - you will find her there. Open 'Household Return' form and you will see her signature. I have looked at Tele. Directory and there are still McMahons in the parish - in nearby neighbourhoods - but could be related. Sharon Caffery has posted a message re the parish - but it seems to relate to area in Co. Limerick only. The Limerick City Council are trying to extend their city into the Parish - but the Clare people will not let go. !!!! Also there is a way to download a photo of the Parish Church without the words 'Clare Library' - go to http://www.clarelibrary.ie - Genealogy and open 'VISITORS BOOK' at top of page and going back over a few postings you will see instructions on how to download.

Margaret22

Post by Margaret22 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:04 am

Hi , I saw the census that showed head of household as Catherine.....seems i saw something somewhere that showed her last name as O'Dea......but i cant seem to locate my paperwork on that and i havent been able to find it online again. Thank you for the leads...i am having a bit of trouble ...but i will eventually get the hang of this. So you say there are still McMahons in the area...that is awesome as all the ones here that came to Chicago that i know of are deceased. Are there ever any people in Ireland doing genealogy that might want to know what happened to their relatives that came to America? Well i will go and check out your leads you gave me and see what else i can find. This is so exciting! Keep in touch and let me know if i can help you with anything that i might have in my research.~~~Margaret

Margaret22

Post by Margaret22 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:23 am

I found a Mary McMahon in Griffith's valuations she is also from Moneennagliggin,killeely. How do i research her further.

Margaret22

Post by Margaret22 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:48 pm

my search has taken me near and far...and with all the help from my forum friends online i have accomplished sooooo much....i think i need to start putting online what i know so others can have my info....at least what i know up to now.....if perhaps someone can explain again how i can go about that i would greatly appreciate it . I am on Ancestry.com and i am trying my best to put as much on there as i possibly can. Thank you, Margaret

robertshelby

Post by robertshelby » Wed Oct 05, 2016 5:35 pm

cath m wrote:well here's a bit more to your puzzle :D put Joseph De Canty in ancestry and found somebody with Nora and Margaret Canty in the family tree ,they have details of

margaret she was born 1879,married joseph 1902 chicago had one child Margaret 1904, Margaret died 1907 chicago ,

Nora born 1881 emigrated 1905 married Joseph 1908 had four children Walter,Honor,Joseph and Rita ,Nora died 1933 her death cert says she died from cancer of the womb involving the colon and liver ,

there is also an obituary for margaret (which you have seen ) and one of nora ,a photo of the house 6449.s drexel boulavard built 1901 where they lived ,and a few more bits that might interest you ,not sure if you can access this without being a member but if you cant i will try contacting them and see if they will forward an email address

http://trees.ancestry.co.uk/pt/person.a ... -948502244
cath
The marriage date is incorrect here. Nora married Joseph DeCourt on June 28th 1911 according to their marriage certificate. I am the son of Rita and have birth and death information on Walter, Honor, Joseph and Rita.
Rita was born April 9th 1917, Died Feb 8, 2001 she was my mother
Joseph was born October 17th 1914, died Feb 6 1989
Walter was born April 27, 1920 and died January 1, 1960
Honor was born March 16th 1913 and died May 2, 1998

I would like to connect with any family members to share information on this. My email is shelbyrobert@hotmail.com

pj.culligan

Post by pj.culligan » Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:27 pm

Here is the marriage record of Cornelius McMahon & Bridget Canty on 28th June 1916 in Meelick, father's Thomas McMahon & Patrick Canty https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 554115.pdf

pj.culligan

Post by pj.culligan » Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:35 pm

Here is the death records of Patrick Hennessy & Cornelius McMahon, cause of death, bullet wound, Shock & haemorrage in County Gaol
Limerick on 20th January 1923 https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 385106.pdf