Family Records (Russell, Kilkee)

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

Lyn Russell

Family Records (Russell, Kilkee)

Post by Lyn Russell » Sat May 11, 2013 5:51 pm

I have posted queries about how to find information about my family history in Kilkee, and after contacting the local Church in Kilkee I have found out that my G Great Grandparents Martin Russell and Mary Walsh were married there on the 27th August 1863. Can anyone tell me if I could get a copy of this marriage certificate and where from.

I have also got my Dads Baptisim record that says he was baptised on the day he was born 4/2/1915 but I and a bit confussed because his parents are Martin Russell (My Grandfather) and Margaret Malone but my Grandmother was called Margaret Mulivhill.

Could anyone tell me why my Grandmothers surname is not the same as the one I have on my Dads Birth Certificate.

Kind Regards Lyn

murf

Re: Family Records (Russell, Kilkee)

Post by murf » Mon May 13, 2013 11:06 pm

Hi Lyn
Replies are slow coming on this one so I'll have a go. Unfortunately your gg grandparents marriage occurred just prior to the commencement of civil registrations on 1 Jan 1864, so there is no civil marriage certificate to be had, which means that you have to be content with the entry in the parish register.
As regards your grandmother's maiden name, if I understand this correctly, her maiden name is shown as Malone on your Dad's baptism entry and as Mulvihill on his civil birth certificate. This is a bit of a puzzle, but mistakes like this can happen, for instance a busy priest writing up a week's worth of baptisms may have inadvertently entered a wrong name.
I guess that I would look for supporting evidence, eg did your Dad have any siblings? If so their baptism/birth records may throw some light. Do you have the marriage record for your grandmother? If these other records confirm your grandmother's name as Mulvihill then I guess you just put it down to a slip of the pen.

miriam scahill

Post by miriam scahill » Tue May 14, 2013 3:01 pm

Hello Lyn - I found your post from last June - and I see MOC promised to get you info - well MOC (and myself) have been very busy with FAMINE COMMEMORATION KILRUSH 2013 - which has just taken place - our President was in Kilrush for a lovely ceremony on Sunday - lots of info on FACEBOOK. A great event. Now - first of all - you can get a 'certificate' with details of the wedding in 1863 - (as Murf said - Civil Records started in 1864 - but Church records for Kilkee started earlier) - - I would suggest you send 'an offering for a Mass for Russell family' to the Parish Priest at Kilkee - and request a copy of the Marriage Cert. Re Baptism cert - again - as Murf says - some Priests had a scrap of paper in their pocket - and then couldn't read their writing !! It is unusual for a baby to be baptised on the same day on which they were born - usually a few days later - so if the Baptism happened at home - and not in the Church - the Priest could have misread the name. There are still Russell and Mulvihill families in Kilkee - as per Eircom telephone directory.
The Census for 1911 show 40 Russells living in Kilkee area. The 1925 Census should be on-line soon - and this will show more info for you.
I hope MOC - Michael - gets back to you. !! Miriam.

murf

Post by murf » Wed May 15, 2013 4:06 am

There is often a battle between the dates of baptism and civil birth registration as to which (if either) you choose to believe. My great uncle Thomas Murphy is a case in point. According to the Clondagad Parish baptism register, Thomas was sprinkled with holy water on 17 March 1874. His civil birth certificate proclaims that he was born on 25 March, eight days after his baptism! The registration was performed on the 8th April. If Thomas had been born on or before 17th March then a fine of twenty shillings would have been applicable for failing to register within the required 21 day period.
It is reasonable to assume that Thomas celebrated his birthdays on St Patrick's Day!