Johanna Mangan nee Nash

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

ginny

Johanna Mangan nee Nash

Post by ginny » Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:14 pm

Hello everyone

This is my first posting on here and was wondering if anyone has any record or knowledge of where I can find information on my ggg grandmother Johanna Mangan. Her maiden name was Nash and she was born in Co Clare 1838. I have searched the internet, trying to find her birth, baptism, or her marriage to Simon Mangan, (possibly James), also from Clare, but with no luck.

I have been told my a distant cousin related via my ggg Mangan grandparents, that her father was possibly Partick Nash and her mother, Mary Costello, and that she was born in Ballysteen which she thinks is on the borders of Co Clare and Limmerick.

I would be grateful if anybody could help me find information on them.

Thanking you in advance.

Ginny

Paddy Casey

Re: Johanna Mangan nee Nash

Post by Paddy Casey » Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:52 pm

Ginny,

There is a Ballysteen in the parish of Kilmacrehy in County Clare (see
http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclar ... nlands.htm and
http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclar ... es_map.htm and
http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclar ... hy1837.htm )
but that is diametrically across the county from the Limerick side.

Paddy

smcarberry

Post by smcarberry » Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:12 pm

The involved townland could be the Kenry Ballysteen, near Askeaton and Aughinish Island, on the other shore of the Shannon across from Clare. There is a book which provides extensive information on West Limerick families:
West Limerick Families Abroad
by Kate Press and Valerie Thompson
ISBN 0-646-41334-1

A Nash descendant (whose ancestors worked on the Westropp estate) has posted several Askeaton-Ballysteen parish record entries, including a baptism that might be your Johanna Nash:
1840-03-28 Nash Johannna - Patrick Nash and Mary Costelloe, [sponsors] Michael Wall and Hanorah Scanlan.
from a webpage (with a map showing Ballysteen) at:
http://www.naish.50megs.com/about.html

The complete listing of that couple's children are given:
Patrick Nash and Mary Costello
Child: Johana Chr. 3/28/1840
James Chr. 2/10/1842
Mary Chr. 1/23/1845
Catharine Chr. 5/12/1848
Sarah Chr. 2/1/1852
Anne Chr. 3/6/1854
Margaret Chr. 5/6/1855
Patrick Chr. 11/9/1857
Michael Chr. 1/16/1860
Charlotte Chr. 12/16/1866

At least one Nash family had a connection to the Mangans as shown in this baptism:
1840.03.16 Nash, Patrick- John Nash and Johanna Mangan, [sponsors] John Cowhey Bridget Dooly.

Perhaps the Mangans were the Clare family. However, Johanna's marriage likely was in her own parish, so that is where
you could look for the record entry.

Sharon Carberry

ginny

Post by ginny » Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:52 pm

Thank you both for providing and going to this much trouble for me. I can't thank you enough. It had been mentioned to me yesterday, the names Patrick Nash and Mary Costello, (without the e).

I think this is probably my ggg grand mothers family. I shall now try to trace the marriage of Johanna to Simon, (possibly James) Mangan.

I might have to come back again to ask for your help again, hope you don't mind.

Many thanks to you both.

Ginny

ginny

Post by ginny » Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:19 am

Hello again.

Well try as I might, I cannot find the marriage of Johanna nee Nash and Simon, (possibly James) Mangan.

I have no way of finding the parish where they came from, except my only clue being on one of the census, where Simon says Kilbush, which was possibly mistranslated and is probably Kilrush, County Clare. On this census his name is down as Manken and not Mangen as well, an other mistake by the writer on the census.

I sent a message to St Senans Parish church last year but had no reply.

Any more help would be so very much appreciated, although I know this a long shot.

Once again thanks for previously finding out the info on Johanna for me.

Kind regards.

Ginny