Ann Boland nee Murphy(1813-1916), from Clare to Queensland

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

murf

Ann Boland nee Murphy(1813-1916), from Clare to Queensland

Post by murf » Fri May 03, 2013 12:22 am

The attached obituary had an accompanying photo which was almost totally black, and unusable.
The shipping register shows John(36) and Anne(34) Boland arriving at Moreton Bay in 1854 with children Edmund(13), Eliza(12), Bridget(11), Mary(4) and Margaret(1).
Mrs Boland.jpg
Mrs Boland.jpg (542.11 KiB) Viewed 17252 times

mgallery

Re: Ann Boland nee Murphy(1813-1916), from Clare to Queensla

Post by mgallery » Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:12 pm

Cahermurphy is down near Kilmihill and is more usually known for the MacGorman association (they had a castle there)
Cooraclare is another townland in the area.

pwaldron

Post by pwaldron » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:19 am

Cooraclare is NOT a townland. It lies mainly in the townland of Kilmacduane West on the north bank of the Cooraclare river. It extends south of the river into the townlands of Carrow and Teernagloghane.

While the only townland called Cahermurphy is in Kilmihil parish, there are two District Electoral Divisions on opposite sides of county Clare both called Cahermurphy - one around Cahermurphy townland, the other on the Galway border in Feakle Dispensary District. See map at http://www.logainm.ie/eolas/Data/Brainse/sw-sheet.jpg

smcarberry

Post by smcarberry » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:14 am

The above Boland-Murphy obituary may prove to be a great help to a descendant at some time, and it makes great reading as well. I looked through my Feakle material to see if there might be a match or close to it. The screenshots are in the latter category. Boland is easier to research than Murphy, due to the relative infrequency of the surname (in East Clare, that is). Knowing the other families in close association with the Boland back in Clare may also be a help. Note that the same emigration year is involved.

I am sorry that I can't provide a link to the location of this material online, nor a proper attribution.

Sharon Carberry
Hanrahan, Feakle to AmboyIL.jpg
Hanrahan, Feakle to AmboyIL.jpg (57.46 KiB) Viewed 17129 times
Hanrahan pt2, Feakle to AmboyIL.jpg
Hanrahan pt2, Feakle to AmboyIL.jpg (42.19 KiB) Viewed 17129 times

Jennifer Vaughan

Post by Jennifer Vaughan » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:23 pm

Is the Cahir-murphy mentioned in this obit the same Cahermurphy in the Kilmihil parish? My great great grandfather was Michael Murphy who lived in Cahermurphy in the Kilmihil parish. Michael Murphy married Lucy Flanagan from Tullagower and had 8 children. Four boys moved to Buffalo, NY in the early 1890's. My great grandmother was Bridget Murphy who moved from Cahermurphy to Furrour in the Kilmaley parish when she married Michael "Bucky" Vaughan. I am very interested in this post and would like to know the names of Ann Boland's parents and siblings. Several Murphy's are listed as baptismal sponsors of Michael and Susan Murphy's children in the Kilmhil parish. They are Marie (Mary), Michael and Patrick. Could these be siblings of Ann Murphy Boland?

murf

Post by murf » Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:12 pm

Hi Jennifer
Not sure if I can be of much help here, but I checked the Queensland BDM registers which have just recently come on line https://www.bdm.qld.gov.au/IndexSearch/ ... ndexSearch
(All forum members take note: - searches are free, certificates $28)
I found Anne Boland d. 1916, but unfortunately there are no parent names listed.
John and Anne Boland arrived in Qld in 1854, with their oldest child aged 13, which suggests a marriage circa 1840. Unfortunately this predates the beginning of the Kilmihil marriage records in 1849. There are some Bolands in the baptism register, but none which correspond with John and Anne's younger children, so perhaps they were living in another parish prior to their emigration.
Apart from that, I came up empty. It may be a bit of a challenge sorting out all the Murphys in Cahermurphy. I know the feeling. Good luck anyway.
Murf

murf

Post by murf » Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:39 pm

Just one further point. You haven't given dates for your ancestors, but I see from the Kilmihil baptism register that Michael and Susan Murphy's children were baptised during the 1860s, 1870s, so I'm guessing that Michael and Susan were born circa 1830's. Anne Murphy Boland b. 1813 (and presumably her siblings) was a generation older. I may be wrong but I believe that most sponsors tended to be of the same generation as the child's parents, because they would be around long enough to provide guidance through to the child's adulthood.
One thing in your favour tho, is that the above obit suggests that both of Anne's parents were Murphys, so I guess this doubles the chances of her being related to your ancestors.

Jennifer Vaughan

Post by Jennifer Vaughan » Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:24 am

All good points! There are 21 years between the first and last of Michael and Susan's children. There are 19 years in between the first and last of my grandfather's siblings. Is it possible that Ann and Michael could be siblings if they were at either end of the birth order? Thanks for helping me with this question.