Looking for info re Baker and Clune families, Clare 1840's.

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

veebee1001

Looking for info re Baker and Clune families, Clare 1840's.

Post by veebee1001 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:16 pm

Hi, I am searching for information about my great grandparents whom I believe originated from County Clare in the mid 1800's, in particular birth dates and locations are the first things I an trying to find.
Any information on their ancestors would also be welcome.

My great grandparents on my father's side were both from County Clare, and
emigrated to Australia in the mid 1800's, and were married in Brisbane in

My great grandfather was Martin Baker, son of Michael Baker (farmer) and
Bridget Gleeson. I do not know his exact birthdate, but believe it to be
around 1839-1840, as on their marriage certificate from 12th Oct 1866 in Brisbane Australia, he
states he was 26 years.

On the marriage certificate he states that his birthplace was Coran, Co
Clare. It is shown in handwriting and looks pretty clearly like "Coran",
but I have not been able to find any references to it in searches that I
have done.
On my grandmother's birth certificate, (their daughter), from August 1879,
he states that his birthplace is Ennis, Co Clare, and that his age is 41
years, which would make him born in 1838 or 39.

My great grandmother was Bridget Clune, daughter of Thomas Clune, (farmer)
and Mary Dooley. Again her exact birthdate is unknown, but on the marriage
certificate she states that she is 21 years, making her born in 1845.
On the marriage certificate she states her birthplace as Shannaway, Co
Clare. I have found a place "Shanaway" which still exists, maybe 10-12
kilometres east of Milltown Malbay, so maybe that is the area from which she
originated. On my grandmother's birth certificate her mother Bridget is
shown as being born in Milltown Malbay.
Bridget states her age as 32 years, in 1879, making her born in 1847 from
this certificate.

Information I have suggests that Bridget Clune emigrated to Australia in 1862 from Southhampton
to Melbourne aboard the Accrington, at the age of 17 years.

Any help would be appreciated. I would like to know if Coran existed in those days and of the Townland and Parish and
Union in which it and Shanaway were located. I wonder if Ennis as a
birthplace maybe too vague, but any suggestions in that regard would be welcome.

I suspect that these names are from families which have had previous
research done on, and there might be somebody with information already gathered which
is relevant. Any information which you might be able to provide would be
much appreciated.
Thank you. Vince.

mgallery

Re: Looking for info re Baker and Clune families, Clare 1840

Post by mgallery » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:10 pm

Vince

You may never get exact birthdates as people often did not know them, you may get baptisms. but the answer to most of your questions is on Clare Library website.

Coron could be Carron in the Burren but I wonder if it is Coore which is also in Kilmurry
Clune is also Cloon and Shanoway or Shanovea is in Kilmurry Ibricken.
On Clare library website in Griffiths I found
Cloon Mary Shanavogh, East Kilmurry Ennistimon
Look through the lists for Baker and clune/Cloon for 1821 freeholders Tithes and Griffiths that will get you a part of the way and will tell you townland and parish.
Remember names were not fixed and were written down phonetically. Look at the map on Clare library website and look at townlands beside the one you want. For example I got Cornelius Kenny on various lists as Carhukeal (modern day Carrowkeal) Ilaune (Ilane) and Milford. All are beside each other and Milford is no longer a townland but same person and he is also down as his fathers house in Treanmanagh earlier. So look beside Shanaway to see what townlands there are (I think West Coore is one)

If you have found them then you can try graveyard inscriptions and baptism registers for the correct parish - people went into Ennis to shop and work they may not have married someone from the same or a neighbouring parish. Ennis is in Drumcliffe parish but try Clareabbey as well and Kilmaley as sometimes if people lived outside Ennis they said Ennis when they went away.
Last edited by mgallery on Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

johnmayer

Post by johnmayer » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:18 pm

THE BAKER’S OF CARNCREAGH, FURROOR also sometimes known as Corann Creagh

The earliest records of the Baker family in Kilmaley Parish are the Tithe Applotment records of December 24, 1826. In this record the occupier of the land in Carncreagh was listed as Patrick Baker.

In 1855, the Griffith’s Valuation lists the tenant of Carncreagh house number four as Martin Baker, who is renting from Mr. Michael Kenny. Martin Baker is renting a total of 218 acres, three roods and twenty perches, containing a house and offices.

Peter Baker and Mary ??????
Peter and Mary Baker were married about 1863 although it appears that they were not married in the parish of Kilmaley as no records in the parish marriages were located. It would be reasonable to assume that Peter would likely be the son of Martin Baker. He and his wife Mary had six children, Bridget, Maria, Michael, Martin, Patrick and Margaret.

The 1901 census for Carncreagh lists Peter Baker and his wife Mary as the landowners. Four of their six children still lived with their parents, but as noted above the oldest two, Bridget and Maria were married and no longer lived in Carncreagh.

1901 Census of Carncreagh, Furror 34/6
Baker Peter Head 58 Male
Baker Mary Wife 61 Female
Baker Michael Son 28 Male
Baker Martin Son 26 Male
Baker Pat Son 24 Male
Baker Maggie Daughter 19 Female

Bridget Baker and Michael Shannon
On February 10, 1891, Bridget Baker and Michael Shannon were married in Kilmaley Church. It appears they settled in Kilfiddane Parish, in Bolooghra.

1901 Census of Bolooghra, Kilfiddane 72/1

Shannon Michael Head 40 Male
Shannon Bridget Wife 36 Female
Shannon Mary Daughter 9 Female
Shannon Patrick Son 7 Male
Shannon Margaret Daughter 5 Female
Shannon Michael Son 4 Male
Shannon John Son 3 Male
Shannon Peter Son 2 Male
Shannon Bridget Daughter 3 mths Female
Shannon Martin Parent 89 Male
1911 Census of Bolooghra, Kilfiddane, House Number 10
Shannon Michael 56 Male Head
Shannon Bridget 48 Female Wife
Shannon Margaret 17 Female Daughter
Shannon Michael 15 Male Son
Shannon John 13 Male Son
Shannon Peter 12 Male Son
Shannon Martin 9 Male Son
Shannon Thomas 6 Male Son
Shannon James 4 Male Son
Baker Peter Joseph 2 Male Nephew

Maria Baker and James Downes
On February 27, 1900, Maria Baker and James Downes married in Kilmaley Church. Their home was in Doolough, in the neighboring parish of Kilmurry-Ibrickan.

1901 Census of Doolough, Knocknaboley 86/7
Downes James Head 30 Male
Downes Mary Wife 29 Female

1911 Census of Doolough, Knocknaboley
Downs James 43 Male Head
Downs Maria 43 Female Wife
Shannon Bridget 10 Female Niece

Michael Baker and Mary Hogan
Michael Baker and Mary Hogan were married sometime in 1910. They took over the home place and shared the home with his parents Peter and Mary, his sister Margaret, and their niece Susan Shannon.

1911 Census of Carncreagh, Furroor
Baker Michael 42 Male Head
Baker Mary 36 Female Wife
Baker Peter 72 Male Father
Baker Mary 76 Female Mother
Baker Margaret 35 Female Sister
Shannon Susan 7 Female Relative

Patrick Baker and Delia Queally
In early 1907, Patrick Baker married Delia Queally of Bealcragga. They made a home at what later was known as Baker’s cross in Bealcragga. Their children were as follows:
• Patrick Baker born January 7, 1908 (John Queally & Molly Queally)
• Peter Joseph Baker born December 11, 1908 (Pat Shannon & Mary A Shannon)
• Mary Anne Baker born November 26, 1909 (Michael Murphy & Kate Murphy)
• Michael Baker born July 4, 1911 (Pat Shannon & Margaret Baker)
• Martin Baker born August 22, 1913 (James Griffin & Mary Burke)
• Teresa Josephine Baker born March 21, 1915 (Michael & Margaret Queally)
• John Baker born March 24, 1918.

1911 Census of Bealcragga, Killaniv

Baker Patrick 34 Male Head
Baker Delia 30 Female Wife
Baker Patrick 3 Male Son
Baker Mary 1 Female Daughter
Crowley Mary 69 Female Lodger
Shannon Patrick 18 Male Servant

Three of Patrick and Delia’s children married as noted below:
• Mary Anne married Thomas Haren in Mullagh, on February 4, 1941.
• John married Gertrude Edna Mason in England, on May 8, 1943.
• Peter Joseph married Rose Hayes of Balleen, Kilmaley, on January 11, 1944.

Patrick died on October 18, 1942, and his wife Bridget (Delia) died December 5, 1969. Their son Martin died in July 27, 1982 and their son Michael died September 30, 1996. All are buried alongside the church ruins in the oldest section of Kilmaley Cemetery.

johnmayer

Post by johnmayer » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:27 pm

Carncreagh or Corann Cree is in Furroor, Kilmaley parish, which borders neighboring Kilmurry Ibrickan Parish. If your Shanaway is correct, then it is quite possible that the Baker's and Clune's are geographically from the same area. Many people from this region, identified there birthplace as Ennis when immigrating as it is the nearest city to their home.

johnmayer

Post by johnmayer » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:35 pm

On another note in Furroor, Kilmaley, in the neighboring townland of Reinagisha, there were Gleeson's. In Lisroe, Furroor their is the Lynch Family. Margaret Lynch from Lisroe, married James Clune from Ruan, Co. Clare in the mid 1800's. Their son Patrick Joseph born on January 6, 1864 near Ruan, became the Archbishop of Perth Australia and died on May 24, 1935.

mgallery

Post by mgallery » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:06 am

John Mayer that Kenny ref is interesting as I have Carncreagh left to one of David Kennys sons (leasehold ) in 1833. Its not Michael who was a first cousin of theirs and was more than likely the Michael Kenny of Freaghcastle but the land could have been swapped.

There is another Carncreagh near Doolough in Kilmurry ibrickane but I thought they had land in Kilmaley - they were related to the Mahons and their cousins the Gallerys lived in the area (see Lucille Ellis paper on Gallerys of Newhall and she recently gave a talk to Clare roots. ) Francis Gallery had land in Mahonburgh and Edward in Strasburgh (Strawsburgh)
Cornelius Kenny had an interest in Carncreagh or Carrencreagh it is called in David Kennys will. Cornelius emigrated to America in 1849 but kept a farm. His son Conor (Cornelius D Kenny ) of CD Kenny Baltimore asks for it to be disposed in 1875. Cornelius snr had several farms Milford, one in Coore - Canroor. I dont know which one it was
John if you are interested I have lists of William Kennys (another first cousin) landholdings in the area. He lived at Cragleigh which he built which is also nearby but not Kilmaley. I think you have my email already

Margaret

johnmayer

Post by johnmayer » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:20 pm

Margaret,

Carncreagh in Kilmaley Parish does indeed border Doolough in K-I Parish. In addition to the Michael Kenny mentioned in Carncreagh, the Gleeson Family in neighboring Renagisha, Furroor were renting 115 acres, two roods an 37 perches from Maurice Kenny.

In Lisbiggen, Killaniv, 102 acres, one rood and three perches of land was being rented by Michael Kenny, from Robert Keane. There were no structures on the property.

These represent the three Kenny holdings in Kilmaley Parish at the time of the Griffith's Valuation.

veebee1001

Post by veebee1001 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:11 pm

Thank you Margaret and John for those thoughts. I will take Margaret's advice and see what I can find on the Library website. I am still coming to grips with the townland concept as it is not familiar to us in the colonies. I had thought previously if I could identify the townland it might be a good place to start, but on my previous searches I was totally confused and could not fathom it.
The Martin Baker who was renting in the Griffiths of 1855 as John mentioned would not seem to me to be my great grandfather as he would have been only 16 or 17 in 1855, and I would think that he did not marry in Ireland, as he married in Australia in 1866, certainly he was not in Ireland long enough to have that large family even if he did marry twice. His father was Michael Baker so I think the family you have mentioned may be relations.
I have printed out all your information and will re-read it and look at the maps for the areas and locations mentioned, and see what I can see.

I wondered if I attached a copy of the marriage certificate would it be of any assistance as you would be able to see the names of the places mentioned. I am very new to this forum stuff, the request being a first time for me, so am not sure if posting up documents is proper.

Vince.

mgallery

Post by mgallery » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:23 pm

Thanks John that is interesting as I have seen Maurice but he does not seem to be the same family - but maybe yes. I have him holding Reanighishagh in 1852 and also holding 115 acres in 1876 no address
http://eppi.dippam.ac.uk/documents/1625 ... ges/194545.

I have not looked into him closely as I did not think he was my family. There was another family sons of Laurence Kenny who was a land agent for the Inchiquins who seem to be unrelated.

I dont want to hijack the Baker Clune discussion, David Kenny of Treanmanagh was my gt gt gt grandfather and Edmond his brother was my gt gt gt gt grandfather

I keep coming back to Kilmaley Inch area

BTW we have 1870 letters there were two unrelated families of Gallerys in the area. Francis of Mahonburgh was not related to Michael his neighbour he says. The Gallerys who were related to me (Francis) left in 1833 for Rochester NY Most of the Kennys were gone before Griffiths.

johnmayer

Post by johnmayer » Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:53 pm

Vince,

Please feel free to send it to me at dundeemayer@comcast.net

I think you are on the trail.

John

johnmayer

Post by johnmayer » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:02 pm

Margaret,

I have two Gallery Families in Kilmaley Parish.

Catherine Gallery was present in Cappalea South at the time of the Griffith's Valuation. But the family is not present there in 1901 or 1911.

and

James and Bridget Gallery of Garrynagry, Killaniv, who were married prior to 1828, and had at least one son Pat, born in 1828. Again there were no sign of these Gallery's in 1901 or 1911.

mgallery

Post by mgallery » Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:50 am

Catherine who was a widow got evicted - there are newspaper reports. She had a handicapped son
James and Bridget are probably not who we are looking for

The family I want lived in Ballymacaula and locals have told me what farm