Faha/Corbehagh

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

Julie1966

Faha/Corbehagh

Post by Julie1966 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:11 am

My sister and I have narrowed down our Culloo's/Cullow's to those in the Faha/Lower Corbehagh region. In the 1820s-1840s Index to Tithe Applotment Books - Parish Index we find some Culloo's whose names match those of our immigrant ancestors and we find them sharing land with persons who have names that match sponsors from birth records both in Ireland and also in the United States. During this time the townland is listed as Faha and Lower Corbehagh is also in the "notes" area along with the names of those who share the property. I found a cross-reference table of Feakle parish towns and townland names as they appear in different record groups sorted by Electoral District and it shows that in the 1852/1855 Index to Griffith's Valuation for Clare this same region was known only by Corbehagh. What I am wondering is, what is the area known as in the 1901 and 1911 census? I cannot find Corbehagh anywhere. Am I getting bad information with regards to the cross-reference? In the 1852/1855 Index to Griffith's Valuation I did find the region called Corbehagh and I see that while some of the other families who shared the land are still there, the Culloo's are all gone, which matches the timeline when our ancestors would have left. I am trying to follow that up with checking the 1901 and 1911 census to see if indeed all of the Culloo's left the area or if they were just not represented on the 1852/1855 Index to Griffith's Valuation. Any help would be appreciated!

pwaldron

Re: Faha/Corbehagh

Post by pwaldron » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:35 pm

Corbehagh is in the 1911 census, spelled correctly, so I don't understand why your search failed to find it.

To find it in 1901, since changing the year in the URL for the townland page (usually the fastest method of jumping from one year to the other) doesn't work, you can either use wildcards (*) or Browse.

In fact, it is actually the DED name which is different in 1901.

If you post a link to the "cross-reference table of Feakle parish towns and townland names" which seems to have misled you, perhaps someone could figure out what's wrong and correct it.

Julie1966

Post by Julie1966 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:48 pm

The cross reference didn't mislead me, it reports that Corbehagh is listed as such in both the 1901 and 1911 Census, I just couldn't find it. Perhaps because the DED changed. Here is the link to the cross reference chart, however. I was unable to find Corbehagh in the Census list on THIS site. I thought perhaps the spelling was different.[http://www.irelandxo.com/group/parish-l ... sorted-ded]

pwaldron

Post by pwaldron » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:36 pm

The 1901 census of Corbehagh is transcribed on clarelibrary.ie exactly where one would expect to find it:
http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclar ... h151_2.htm

Julie1966

Post by Julie1966 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:18 pm

Wow. Thank you? This "one" had no way of knowing that. Sorry for bothering you with my "silly" question.

mcreed

Post by mcreed » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:28 pm

One of the easiest ways to check the recording of particular surnames in either of the Tithes, Griffith's or 1901 census records is to look at the "Combined list of surnames which occur in the 1901 Census of Population of County Clare, the Griffith's Valuation 1855 of County Clare, and the Tithe Applotment Books (1820s-1840s) for County Clare, including the number of occurences for each surname collected in each source" at http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclar ... mbined.htm. This shows 'Culloo' for the 1820s Tithes, and 'Cullow' in the 1855 Griffiths and the 1901 Census.

Polycarp

Post by Polycarp » Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:08 pm

The following item appeared in the "Clare Champion" on Friday 14th December 2012 under the heading, 'One Hundred Years Ago'.

"Election of relieving officer for Tulla district a popular return"

'By a substantial majority the Scariff Board of Guardians at their last meeting elected Mr Matt Culloo to the position of Relieving Officer for the Tulla district. The news was received in his native town of Tulla with every manifestation of the keenest delight and no wonder, for 'Matty' (as he is fondly called by his associates) has hosts of friends. The fact that he belongs to one of the oldest and most respected families in Tulla makes his success all the more popular. His ancestors have lived in Tulla for generations and therefore, as at the present time, the Culloos have been associated with with every movement that tended towards general welfare.

In hurling circles the news of his victory will be gladly received for 'Matty' is a prominent member of the famous Tulla seventeen and is a brother to the genial captain of that club, Pattie Culloo who is well known not only in Clare but throughout Munster.

On the eve of his appointment, his friends as well as members of the hurling club paraded the streets, carrying torchlights and marching to the strains of the local band.'

I hope this news item might be of some interest, Julie.

Polycarp

Julie1966

Post by Julie1966 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:50 pm

Thank you all for your responses! I am truly grateful. The reason I wanted to know specifically about the Faha/Corbehagh Culloo's is that the names from Culloo's in that place from the 1827 Index to Tithe Applotment Books match our family's forenames, as well as some of the same sponsor names from church records that shared land with those Culloo's then. Our ancestors left within 20-25 years after this, and when I look at the same region in 1855 Griffiths Valuation, those same people are not listed, but several of the neighbors/sponsors still are. I want to look in that area specifically - not Tulla, as the Cullo's in Tulla are also in the 1827 assizes and they remain in the 1855 Griffiths Valuation as well as the later censuses. We have already ruled them out as our ancestors. Ciarán Ó Murchadha helped us determine that there were two Culloo families in the area who knew of no relation between them. He also sent us a snippet of an article from excerpt from the Limerick Chronicle’s coverage (I March 1848) of the Ennis Spring Assizes that deals with a Dennis Culloo who hit his step-father Michael Molony (Molony is one of the sponsor names and name of one of the families who shared land in Feakle with the Culloo's) over the head with fireplace tongs and killed him just before the time our family would have left. The age matches to one of our ancestors. So, that is the reason I am looking closely at the Culloo's in the Faha/Corbehagh area specifically and want to know if any remained in the area after the 1827 Index. Again - Many thanks!