Information please, the County Clare Surname ( Kanary )

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

Paddy Casey

Re: Information please, the County Clare Surname ( Kanary )

Post by Paddy Casey » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:17 pm

mpkanary wrote:PS: Paddy, I'm using Linux -> http://www.ubuntu.com
Michael,
In Ubuntu you can use Gedit (I'll bet Google didn't like them hijacking that name, ha ha)
Paddy

mpkanary

Post by mpkanary » Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:23 pm

Paddy Casey wrote:
mpkanary wrote:PS: Paddy, I'm using Linux -> http://www.ubuntu.com
Michael,
In Ubuntu you can use Gedit (I'll bet Google didn't like them hijacking that name, ha ha)
Paddy
Paddy, have you had a go at GIMP-IT? :) Confession time: I still use Windows for a Win-95 Era Photo touch up program, ( U-Lead SE ), and a FTP-Client program called ( FTP-95 ). Okay, I'll go back to English now, but only because I don't any Gaelic. 8)

Miriam, thanks for the ( Patrick Kanary ) information from 1911. Our Great Grandfather, Michael Henry Keniry, may have been involved with the West Clare Railroad, but when Bob Inquired in Doonbeg last fall they said that there weren't any Keniry's left in town that they know of. We suspect he immigrated to Pennsylvania, because he had contacts there, that there was the possibility of a job, and being that it was at the end of the American Civil War, there was a need for young men that hadn't been lost in battle.

I think many of us have a Fantasy about finding the Cottage our families lived in, or meeting a long lost cousin, but I think for most of us it's just that, a Fantasy. Besides, I'm very much at home here in the County Clare Library Site, with people I would never have been able to know before the Internet. I'll have a look at the Honan/Mulville Post. I don't recall Elmira, except for the Photos I Web-Posted, but I do recall that we lived on West Water Street.

In any case, Miriam, I may never understand as to why the ( Keniry ) name went through so many changes when the O'Brien's, the Gallagher's, and Spellisy's left there names as they were in Ireland. I was thinking Michael Henry Keniry was a cow thief before he immigrated, but here again, I'll probably never know for sure in this life. I would have pronounced the name ( KEN - EIRE ), but I missed my chance by well over a Hundred Years. :cry:

That's it. There's an old saying I like, "Anything worth doing is worth doing to excess!", so here's a last link to Bob and Lynne Kanary's Ireland Photos. At least One out of the Three should be working at any given time.

-> http://vnca.org/eriu/eriu0001

Erin go Bragh,

Michael And Christy, in Southern California
Attachments
umac2009.jpg
umac2009.jpg (66.71 KiB) Viewed 10284 times

Paddy Casey

Post by Paddy Casey » Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:44 pm

Paddy, have you had a go at GIMP-IT? :) Confession time: I still use Windows for a Win-95 Era Photo touch up program, ( U-Lead SE ), and a FTP-Client program called ( FTP-95 ). Okay, I'll go back to English now, but only because I don't any Gaelic. 8)
Michael,

I occasionally use GIMP on our Linux system and GIMP 2 on our Windows 7 system. I don't know what GIMP-IT is.

Paddy

P.S. For those on the forum who (understandably) don't know what GIMP is, it's a free but very powerful image/photo editing software, similar in many ways to Photoshop but - like Photoshop - with so many possibilities that it's not for someone who simply wants to remove some red-eye or correct an exposure error. It takes weeks or months to explore its potential. P.

miriam scahill

Post by miriam scahill » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:21 am

Hello Michael- or it sounds like Mee haul in Irish !!!
It was great to see the wonderful photos of Bob's visit to Ireland.
I think I told you that 'The Little Ark' in the church at Kilbaha was dragged down to the seashore - in order that Fr. Meehan could say Mass in Penal times.
You must add another bit of the Census of 1901 to your history - i.e names beginning with Kinery, Kinnery, etc.
Also Kilrush is the 'Registration District' - whereas most of the Keniry/Kinery familes lived in the Parish of Kilballyowen - which covered the Kilbaha area - the next Parish to U.S. !!
A bit of reading for you about neighbours of the Kenirys - 150 years ago. - log on to http://www.clarelibrary.ie - and open GENEALOGY - then DONATED MATERIAL - under Family Histories - you will see 'Inhabitants of Scattery Island' - this is the island in Bob's photos - it was bought by men from Kilbaha after they received money from salvaging a ship off the coast of Kilbaha - so the sea is really in your blood. !!
Slan sounds like Slawn - Bye in Irish !!
Miriam.

mpkanary

Post by mpkanary » Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:49 pm

Hello again to the County Clare Library Forum Posters and Readers, Meehaul Patrick Kanary, here. :lol:

I'm going to try and write this quickly before the bot eats my post.

By brother, Bob Kanary, scanned a few old family photographs he located in his collection of stuff. I'm going to post my favorite here in this post, and there are a few more that I uploaded in my Two on-again off-again free server spaces. The links for the rest of the Photographs are as follows, and if the First isn't working please try the Second. 1 -> http://kanary.zxq.net/america/family22 2 -> http://kanary.uuuq.com/america/family22

I want to wish everyone a Warm Winter Solstice, a Merry Christmas, and a Happy New Year, Erin go Bragh,

Michael Patrick Killbaha :D
Attachments
library1.jpg
library1.jpg (79.23 KiB) Viewed 10156 times

miriam scahill

Post by miriam scahill » Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:23 pm

Hello Meehaul !! - Hope you had a nice Christmas - we could have done with a bit of your south Cal. Sunshine - it was freezing here !! so lets hope New Year is a bit better. Roll on 2011 !!!!
As I said prev. - the sound of the surname - Keniry/Kinnery - plus a few more spellings - could sound like KANARY - as the Irish language gives a diff. sound to vowels - e sounds like aye in some cases.
On Facebook - you will find 'Kilrush Local History Group' - and you will find some great photos of the 'Loop Head Peninsula'
You must pay a visit in next year or two !!
Slan, Miriam. (Pronounced SLAWN - means Good bye )

miriam scahill

Post by miriam scahill » Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:09 am

Hi Meehaul - re my last replay - mistake !! On FACEBOOK google in 'Loop Head Peninsula' - this will give you chance to view photos of the area - some are 'supplied by others' and some are by Prof. Photographer - Carstan ........... - I see you can buy copies - so - now I am not canvassing - I think a photo of Kilbaha Bay would blend in nicely with the South Cal. shore. !! Miriam.