Information please, the County Clare Surname ( Kanary )

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

mpkanary

Information please, the County Clare Surname ( Kanary )

Post by mpkanary » Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:37 pm

If anyone has any ideas about this name, we are very much interested. On the front of our Great Grandfathers Gravestone in Central Pennsylvania, USA, it says carved in stone, ( Michael Kanary ), and on the back it says carved in stone, ( Keniry ). I've found many with the ( Kanary ) name here in the USA, in Canada, in Australia, and a few in England, but not a One in Ireland. I posted a few Web-Pages with some old Photographs, and here's hoping I can Post a Hyperlink in the Forum.

Go HERE -> http://dock.net/thepearl/kanary

My Brother is waiting for his approval for using this Forum, and I'm almost certain he will have at least a few words to add. :lol:

Friday Morning Sunny Southern California, USA Time Regards,

Michael Patrick Kanary

smcarberry

Re: Information please, the County Clare Surname ( Kanary )

Post by smcarberry » Sat Mar 14, 2009 3:05 pm

Hello, Michael,

I am happy to provide some information on the surname Canary. Starting with Western Pennsylvania, sometime ago I looked up the NARA military pension file for John L. Carberry, b. Co. Kildare, who married Mary Canary on 31 Aug 1865 in St. Mary's Church, Elk County, Penn., although there was a divorce sometime before 1898; their children were Mary and Joseph.

There is a Gaelic spelling for the surname Canary shown on p. 103 of Sloinnte Gaedheal is Gall (Dublin: M.H. Gill & Son, 1923), a book available online at your local library on the Heritage Quest subscription database. There are Irish letters/characters at the end of the spelling that I can neither decipher nor reproduce here. Also see p. 62, where the Gaelic spelling for the surname Canny is given as O'Cannaro and Mac Cannaro. There is a potential for crossover between those two surnames. I have seen McKinnery and McEniry in records; also compare with the longtime Clare surname of MacInerney, who\ich can appear in spellings close to those, although it has a distinctly different origin.

Moving over to a surname search in Google Books, I found clusters of Kiniry in Canada and the Eastern seaboard of the U.S.
I should first mention the Missing Friends database of Boston College (http://infowanted.bc.edu/) where there are two ads
by a mother named Catherine Kiniry (contact info is given as Spencers Port NY) for her son John, who left Moyarta, County Clare, in 1843 for Canada and for son Patrick, who left in 1853, no stated destination. A Google Books search results in two references to a David Kiniry, a Montreal warehouseman in about the 1870s, with another David Kiniry in a later generation in a Richmond, Virginia city directory. A book (in Google Books) entitled Good Hearts by Suellen M. Hoy provides biographical details on p. 191 for Katy Kiniry who became a nun named Mother Katharine Drexel, last serving in the parish of St. Martins in NYC, where she died 16 Jan 1927. Another Google Book entitled Encyclopedia, Vermont Biography by Prentiss Dodge Cutler provides on p. 244 a biography for James Henry Kiniry, son of John who settled in Walpole NH,
with James being educated in Bellow Falls VT (where city directories in Google Books show a long-lasting cluster of Kiniry
men). Just a bit further south but in a much earlier time period, a Google Book entitled Rolls of Connecticut in the French and Indian War, 1755-1762, there are entries on p. 20 for Martin and Dinnis M'Kiniry, with the latter's death noted on 2 November.

However, most directly on point for your inquiry are the listings for similar spellings of Kiniry in the Kilrush Poor Law Union,
online in the Google Book on p. 21 of a Parliamentary Papers, the section providing evictions on 10 Aug 1848, including the
one of Martin Kinnery on the townland of Brisla , for which there is an additional note:"When in the poor house last March, where two of his children died, his house was levelled, and the land sold to another person." You can reach that section
by inputting the search words brisla or kinnery into the search engine for Google Books, found by going to the main Google
page, then clicking on "more" in the links at the upper lefthand corner, then using the link for "books."

That should provide some leads and good reading for a while.

Sharon Carberry USA

bobkanary

Keniry and Kenary

Post by bobkanary » Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:29 pm

Hello,

My Brother Michael and I are inquiring about our family past. IRELAND FOREVER. We heard all our lives that our forbears were from county Clare. We also were told that our great grandfather Michael Henry (the 1st) changed the name from Keniry to Kanary, perhaps --as speculated by my dad Raphael Patrick-- because the pronunciation would be easier for folks in the USA, and this upon the advise of his parish priest in Williamsport Pennsylvania.

Our love for IRELAND runs very deep. Its in our DNA. I think we picked up up by osmosis as much by the overt intentions of our relatives. Our grandfather Michael Henry Kanary, born in the USA, became a general chairman of the New York Central Railroad in the 1920 till his retirement about 1940 (I could look up the exact dates). This RR was a citadel of Irish influence at the time, so it reveals the level of respect accorded to him by his Irish kinsmen.

I will return to this subject with more detail later. Also, it is my life's ambition to return to the mother country for a visit. I am 57 years old at this time. My wife, Lynne McRae Kanary is of predominantly Scottish origins. She and her mother will attend a McRae family reunion at Eilean Donan castle in Scotland this coming July. I, unfortunately, will not be with them.

Respectfully Yours,
Bob (for the sake of present genealogical purposes) Keniry

bobkanary

Known Details for Tracing our Keniry Roots

Post by bobkanary » Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:36 am

Here is some relevant information (We believe #1 and #2 were born in County Clare Ireland)

1. Our Great Grandfather, Michael Keniry (who changed his name to Kanary... I've seen the Keniry name engraved on the back of the main family monument) was born in 1830 in Ireland,and died on Sept. 5, 1890, and is buried in Williamsport at Mt. Carmel Cemetery. He became an official citizen on May fourth, 1868 in Lycoming Co, Pennsylvania and the papers say he was a "native of Ireland". The original certificate of citizenship says "Michael Kanary", but the last name has been played with [or so it appears to me].
2. Our Great Grandmother, Katherine [probably Kate for short] O'Brien Keniry, Michael's Wife, was born in Ireland in 1827 and died on Feb 9, 1909 (?) to the best of our knowledge. Her father's name was James O'Brien, and her mother's name was Ellen Spellacy.
3. I do not know the year they were married, or the place, but it is possible I might find it yet, or perhaps our contacts in Ireland can help us.

We are also related to Margaret Margraff her side of the family (I don't exactly know the connection), and perhaps through her to some of the O'Hallorans, Caffrey clans.

4. Michael Kanary Jr. (our grandfather) was born August 2,1867 in Williamsport PA, Lycoming County [Age 13 in the 1880 Census - note, he was the middle child of three]
Incidentally his siblings were:
A. Patrick, born 1865 in USA, PA [age 15 in the 1880 Census] - We have no record of marriage. No date of death available in our records, but he is buried in Williamsport.
B. Maggie, born 1869 in USA, PA [age 11 in the 1880 Census] - Married William Egan on October 22, 1901/ she appears to have died on march 26, 1915 or perhaps 1916 and is buried in Williamsport.

5. Mary Alice Gallagher (grandmother) was born July 2, 1872 in Pittston, PA, and her parents names were James Gallagher and Bridget Duddy [Mary Alice was a decent pianist by the way, and a staunch Roman Catholic, as was the whole clan]
6. They married 11/12/1895 (at St. John's Church in Pittston, which is down river from Williamsport, though the license was issued in Williamsport - Liscense numbered 5386)
7. Michael Kanary Jr. died on 5/11/1948 and is buried at Mt. Carmel in Williamsport (I have been to the family grave site, and besides Kanarys, immediately adjacent are McNamaras, Spellacy, and O'briens, the first two are particularly strong in Clare, Obriens are everywhere in Ireland].
8. Mary Alice died 5/11/1948 and is also burried with the Kanarys at Mt Carmel in Williamsport.

All 8 of their children were born in Williamsport, Lycoming Co. Pa.

One note I have on record, "Katherine Keniry (Kanary) Egan was at at dinner at the Governor's Mansion in Pennsylvania when they discovered that Lincoln had been shot (1865)

Because of the the above, I am sticking with tracing us through our great grandfather (as a Keniry unless I am mistaken) and the names for our great grandmother (she may be our best link since we have our Great Great grandparents names through her, and the Spellacy appears to connect us with Clare, it being a somewhat more prevalent name in that area).

I hope this helps.

Send replies to: bobkanary@gmail.com

bobkanary

Post by bobkanary » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:39 am

Hello,

Just checking in to see if anyone has posted a new reply.

Robert Kanary (Keniry, Kiniry, McEniry, MacInerney, and other similar Clare surnames)
Oklahoma, USA

smcarberry

Post by smcarberry » Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:25 pm

Found another surname variation on a donated-records website, posted by an East Clare descendant of the McGrath family. My family also has a McGrath connection (Bridget Carberry married Mathias Hehir and in Illinois two of her descendants married McGrath men, one of whom appears often as McGraw), as I suspect many of us from East Clare do. I have not corresponded with Mike directly but I believe he lives in Texas and some Googling may lead to current contact info.

Sharon Carberry
now researching Noonan in Killuran

County : Clare
Given_Name : Mary
Surname : McGrath
Fathers_First : Thomas
Fathers_Surname : McGrath
Mothers_Given : Biddy
Mothers_Maiden : Kenury
Place_of_Residence : Tullacrag
Date : 20-Mar 1828
Parish : Tulla
Sponsor1 : Nunan, Patrick
Sponsor2 : Kenury, Neley
Record Source : Parish Records
Donator : Michael F. McGraw
Relative : Yes
http://www.cmcrp.net/static/baprecord.php?k=2754

miriam scahill

Post by miriam scahill » Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:06 am

Hi all - there appears to be two postings re Keniry/Kanary family history - Bob & Michael have diff. headings.
First - Bob - thank you for lovely compliment - Gem of the Ocean !! Michael - I sent you a message.
Sharon - I think that Tulla area is too far inland as Bob mentions the sea and Kil...... - so maybe the area of Kilballyowen Parish might be the place to look. There are many spellings of the name on Griffith Vals. of 1855 - Keniery x 3 in Kilballyowen; James Keniry at Corbally, Kilkee; Patrick Keniry at Doonmore, Doonbeg, Thomas Keniry at Brisla, Cooraclare, Thomas Keniry at Einagh, near Doonbeg and John Kinniry at Cloghaunbeg, Kilballyowen.
There are many spellings of the name on Census of 1901.
The anniv. of death notice for Mrs. Agnes Keniry said Kilclogher Cross, Kilbaha, Kilrush.
To see this are - log on to Google Earth - Clare Ireland - extreme west coast - Kilclogher is east of village of Kilbaha - right on the sea.
Bob - get a good map for local roads and be sure to visit Parish Church at Cross Village and ask Parish Priest for a details of families with same sounding name. Also visit Church at Kilbaha to see the Little Ark used for Mass in penal times.
Watch for sign for 'Bridges of Ross' - natural bridge made by coastal erosion.
Enjoy your holiday.
Miriam.

Paddy Casey

Discovery Series Ordnance Survey maps

Post by Paddy Casey » Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:51 pm

miriam scahill wrote: Bob - get a good map for local roads............
Bob - the paper maps to have for in situ genealogical research in Ireland are the Discovery maps published by Ordnance Survey Ireland. They are sold in the large bookshops and cost around €7.50 apiece. They drill down to the detail and include boreens, small streams and archaeological items. The maps which cover Clare are 51, 52, 53, 57, 58, 59, 63, 64, 65. You won't need all these, of course, just the ones which cover the parts of the County you are researching. To find out which ones you need, go to http://www.osi.ie/en/starticle/discovery-series.aspx and click on Discovery Series Index ( http://www.osi.ie/GetAttachment.aspx?id ... 74adb25efb ) to see a map of Ireland showing the Discovery map segments.

These modern Discovery maps are not as good as the 1842 Ordnance Survey maps, of course, but being paper maps, they are portable. Also, the roads they show are marked with the modern-day road numbers, which makes driving easier.

They are basic equipment. If you can't get a set before leaving for The Sod make sure you stop at the first bookstore when leaving your Irish destination airport for Clare. Definitely.

Paddy

pwaldron

Post by pwaldron » Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:07 am

Don't try the main tourist office in Dublin for your Discovery Series maps - they don't sell them and don't know that the nearby Hodges Figgis and Waterstones bookshops do! I paid EUR8.50 a few weeks ago in Carrick-on-Shannon for the map of that area, where my Waldron ancestors may have originated. Ireland's negative inflation has not yet hit genealogical supplies.

Paddy Casey

Post by Paddy Casey » Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:35 am

pwaldron wrote:Don't try the main tourist office in Dublin for your Discovery Series maps...........
Also, Bob, if you really want to get into Irish cartography and if you are entering Ireland via Dublin airport you can swing by the Ordnance Survey offices and store in Phoenix Park and browse their maps and aerial photography collection. The office and store are in a classic old house in the middle of Phoenix Park which is not far from the airport - the car hire people will give you instructions.

The people there are very helpful, particularly the aerial photography section where they will happily show you through their collection. The OSI page at http://ims0.osiemaps.ie/website/publicv ... 6,691299,8 gives you an idea of some of the recent high-flown (18,000 feet) colour aerial photos they have. But at Phoenix Park they can show you older photos, some of them low-flown high-quality black-and-white aerial reconnaisance photos shot by the air corps, which allow you to identify buildings, e.g. a family house which was torn down in the "modernisation" of the 1970s. Then, if you are really serious about it they will put you onto the Air Corps people at Baldonnel who have more photos and are also incredibly helpful.

They have digitised much (all ?) of their map material so if you know the exact coordinates of the place(s) you are looking for the people in the store can, for example, print out a 1915 1:25 (i.e. very large scale) map of your area while you wait. One caveat: the prices of the digital products and aerial photos are incredible* but, heck, you are only there once. A 1915 map is approx. €220, for example, and only justifiable - to my mind - if you are into serious research or need it for a planning application. For example, I bought one to help me with some research on a Clare village which no longer exists.

A visit to the Phoenix Park OS office is very definitely worth it. There you can see all their stuff, unlike the OS shop in town where - when I was there, at least - the computers cannot get at all the data and they don't have the helpful aerial photography people to talk to one-on-one.

Very important: take two strong people with you to drag you kicking and screaming away from the aerial photos ("lemme go, lemme go, I wann'em all !"). Seriously.

Paddy

* I'm told that they have now installed a device at the exit from the store which looks like a security scanner and which grabs you by the trouser bottoms, tips you upside down, and shakes you to get the remaining money and credit cards out of your pockets.

mpkanary

Post by mpkanary » Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:42 am

It's the Summer Solstice, and here's hoping it's bright and sunny in Ireland for the Holiday. :D

My brother Bob Kanary and his wife Lynne, sent me some snapshots from their Ireland Trip last November, and I Web-Posted just a few over a Hundred in the following link. Also, there is a link [TWO] where I posted some ( Kanary ) family information we didn't have before we contacted the Clare Library Forum last Year.

HERE -> http://kanary.uuuq.com/eriu/eriu0001

Bob and Lynne have been on the busy side. Bobs employer sent him to another City last December, they bought a house in the new location where Lynne had to find another job as well, and their children are home from college for the summer. So, if Bob doesn't post for a while you'll understand as to why.

I'm go fishing early tomorrow morning, a benefit of being old and retired, so Erin go Bragh regards,

Michael Patrick ( Kanary ) Canary, who will be in his Seventh Year in a bit over a Week :lol:

miriam scahill

Post by miriam scahill » Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:22 pm

Happy Birthday Michael. They are great photos of Bob's visit to Ireland last November. The house ruins could have been the home of the Keniry/Kinery family over 150 yrs. ago.!!! There were several pronounciations of the name - and the Irish language has a different sound to the written word. - e.g. the Irish for 6 is se - with a little stroke on the e which makes the word sound like shay - so you see where Kanary came from.
Two bits of info for you - the next station on the West Clare Railway was Doonbeg - and Patrick Keniry was Station Master there in 1911 - as per Census.!!
Go back to sometime in March/April here on Clare Past Forum - and see a posting re Honan/Mulvihills - most of the Honan family went to Elmira, N.Y. - and they came from Kilcloher, Kilbaha - neighbours of the Kenirys. !!
It is your turn to visit West Clare !!.
Miriam. :

mpkanary

Post by mpkanary » Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:24 am

Thanks for the birthday wishes, Miriam. I see I made a typo, and I'll be in my Seventieth year, not my Seventh year.

I just wrote a long, long post with some additional information in it, and when I clicked [ Submit ] it said I had to be logged in, so, I logged in for a second time. I couldn't have been writing a post if I wasn't logged in, and my post was gone! A blank posting box came up. :cry:

I'm really not a word smith, so in the future I'll be posting what I have in a Web-Space that I can take my time with as I did with Bob and Lynne's Ireland Vacation photographs. Also, I have plain old fashioned email Address, mpcanary@gmail.com

Regards,

Michael Patrick, who will always be in County Clare in spirit :)

Paddy Casey

Post by Paddy Casey » Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:21 pm

mpkanary wrote:I just wrote a long, long post with some additional information in it, and when I clicked [ Submit ] it said I had to be logged in, so, I logged in for a second time. I couldn't have been writing a post if I wasn't logged in, and my post was gone! A blank posting box came up. :cry:

I'm really not a word smith, so in the future I'll be posting what I have in a Web-Space that I can take my time with as I did with Bob and Lynne's Ireland Vacation photographs. Also, I have plain old fashioned email Address, mpcanary@gmail.com

Regards,

Michael Patrick, who will always be in County Clare in spirit :)
Several forums do this, Michael, and it is indeed frustrating. However, there's an easy way round it: before hitting the Submit button I always select all the text (Ctrl-A) and then copy it to the clipboard (Ctrl-C) so that it's there to copy back should I discover that the login time has been exceeded. If it's a very long post I always edit it in Wordpad or Wordpad++ and then copy-paste it over to the forum.

Please do keep posting here !

Paddy

mpkanary

Post by mpkanary » Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:23 am

Thanks for the replies, Paddy and Miriam, and I'm giving myself 15 Minutes before I click [ Submit ]. I'll get back in short increments, and/or Web-Post what I want to say.

This brings me to a problem I'm having with the Photographs I posted of Bob and Lynne's Ireland trip. To make a long story short, the free Server Space I used is dead, so I copied all the Photo Pages over on another, but slower space until [ uuuq ] has been repaired. Oh, I'm using http://www.zymic.com , they are usually very reliable. So,

-> http://kanary.zxq.net/eriu/eriu0001

Lastly, if the Library has interest in any of Bob and Lynne's Photographs, they are welcome to use any of the lot of them. Hey, Bob, did you ever log back in? If so, I just gave all your Photographs to the Cleare County Library! Oh, and they said "Thanks!" 8)

That's it, Time is past up, green regards,

Michael Patrick Kilbaha, who's snipping the old to save some bandwidth, but he's not snipping himself.

PS: Paddy, I'm using Linux -> http://www.ubuntu.com