King/Walsh

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

James Sullivan

King/Walsh

Post by James Sullivan » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:10 pm

I last posted five years ago and apologise for my failure to respond to the replies posted.
I visited Clare Library in March 2010 in search of infomation about my King and Walsh family. Peter Beirne of the library and some members of another forum were very helpful and I enjoyed some success on my visit. I found the marriage record of my G Grandfather John King who married Kate Agnes Walsh in St Senans church in 1867. I also found birth records of another three children born to the marriage. I have since traced ten children of the eleven born alive.
I was puzzled by the marriage record. John's father is shown as Michael and Kate's father as John, on their death certs in Glasgow in 1900 and 1913 the names are reversed. At the date of the marriage John's address is noted as Glin and Kate's as Vandeleur Rd. Kilrush. When John joined the royal navy aged 16 in 1856 he was 4ft 11 1/2 in July 1868 he is shown as being 5ft 7 1/2. What were they feeding him on? I can't find any trace of Johns father although the marriage record shows him as being a seaman. Anyway I am proud to declare my Clare roots to all and sundry.
Regards
James Sullivan