Looking for AUSTIN family FROM Kilrush co 'Clare

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

StuartA

Looking for AUSTIN family FROM Kilrush co 'Clare

Post by StuartA » Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:39 pm

Hi,
im looking for my family whom came from county Clare Kilrush area...
My Granfather's name was "John Austin" died 1950ish he was 35ish years old, GranMother was "Kathleen Austin" whom then moved to London Shoreditch E2 area and died 1980ish
They lived in what i have been told is "Grey Street" Kilrush, Clare
Kathleen Austin's Maiden name was Kathleen Higgins,
Daughters were
Joan, Died?
Peggy, Alive
Una,Alive
Caroline,ALive
Bernedette Alive
Josephine,Died
-------
Sons were,
Anthony Patrick (Paddy)Alive
John Harold (Harold) Died 1980ish
Joseph Augustus (Gussy) Alive
Stanislav Sylvester (stan) Alive

Can you help please?

pwaldron

Re: Looking for AUSTIN family FROM Kilrush co 'Clare

Post by pwaldron » Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:32 am

Dear Stuart

I have distant cousins named Austin in west Clare, where Austin is a very unusual name, so your message caught my eye.

A search for John Austins of County Clare at
http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsea ... searchable
suggests that these are your grandfather's birth and death:

Name: John Austin
Registration district: Kilrush
Record type: BIRTHS
Registration date - quarter and year: Jul - Sep 1903
Estimated birth year:
Film number: 101069
Volume: 4
Page: 259
Digital GS number: 4193983
Image number: 00458
Collection: Ireland, Civil Registration Indexes 1845-1958

Record type: DEATHS
Registration date - quarter and year: Jul - Sep 1945
Estimated birth year: 1903
Mother surnames:
Film number: 101743
Page: 170
Digital GS number: 4202050
Image number: 00121

The next two are your grandparents' marriage:

Record type: MARRIAGES
Registration date - quarter and year: Oct - Dec 1923
Estimated birth year:
Film number: 101575
Page: 125
Digital GS number: 4199367
Image number: 00187

Name: Kathleen Higgins
Registration date - quarter and year: Oct - Dec 1923
Estimated birth year:
Page: 125
Image number: 00195

You will also find the births of their children Anthony, Catherine, John, Joseph and Stanislaus.

There was another John Austin married earlier in 1923, which might provide some potential for confusion:

Registration date - quarter and year: Apr - Jun 1923
Estimated birth year:
Page: 174
Image number: 00136

But I know who this other John's wife was:

Name: Mary Browne
Registration date - quarter and year: Apr - Jun 1923
Estimated birth year:
Page: 174
Image number: 00137

This couple were known as Jonjo and Minnie and lived at Drumellihy, a few miles outside Kilrush.

There were only 5 Austin marriages registered in Co. Clare between 1870 and 1903, two brides and three grooms.

The grooms were:

1. John m. 1871 Bridget Lynch (lived at Oughterard, close to Loop Head)

2. Thomas m. 1876

3. Thomas m. 1886 Bridget McMahon (lived at Doonaghboy, just outside Kilkee)

The 1901 census index at http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclar ... oAyres.htm
is the next obvious place to look.

Grooms No. 1 and No. 3 appear in the census, but there is no sign of No. 2.

In west Clare in 1901, there were only a handful of Austins other than the Oughterard and Doonaghboy families with which I am familiar. There is only one male in west Clare who would have been of an age to father a son in 1903, and that is Thomas jr. of Oughterard. He married Marcella McMahon, but I have no John among their children. Bridget and Marcella McMahon were sisters; their husbands were namesakes who were uncle and nephew.

At Cooraclare Road, Kilrush in 1901 are Margaret (67, widow), with a daughter Mary aged 28. Margaret was one of the few people left in Clare in 1901 who spoke Irish but not English.

In Kilkee are Mary (also 28), a single mother with a son Patrick (4), working as a servant in the household of David Hickie, victualler in Kilkee. The Hickie family are still in the same business in Kilkee today.

This might be the same Mary inadvertently counted twice.

In Kilfearagh is Norah (28), a servant. I suspect she is the Norah baptised in Carrigaholt parish in 1874, daughter of John and Bridget Lynch of Oughterard.

A search of the IGI at http://www.familysearch.org/eng/Search/ ... ch_igi.asp might help to complete the family pictures.

It appears from this that the widowed Margaret Austin living on the Cooraclare road in Kilrush in 1901 was née Haugh, widow of George Austin.

George and Margaret had three children listed in the IGI:

1. Patrick b. 21 Dec 1867
http://www.familysearch.org/eng/Search/ ... 0318137482

2. Bridget b. 26 Mar 1870
http://www.familysearch.org/eng/Search/ ... 0296599423

3. Mary b. 7 Sep 1871 (so a year older than she admitted to in Mar 1901).
http://www.familysearch.org/eng/Search/ ... 0289881666

They married in 1867 and George died in the first quarter of 1886. Margaret's death does not appear to be registered in Clare, but there is a Mary who d. 1906 Q2 aged 73 but did not appear in the 1901 census. Perhaps this is her.

However, none of this reveals who your greatgrandparents were. Unless the Hickie family's servant had another child out of wedlock who took his mother's surname, your greatgrandfather would appear to have arrived in West Clare some time between the 1901 census and the birth of your grandfather. You will have to order your grandfather's birth certificate to find out more. See http://www.groireland.ie/ for details of how to do this.

Good luck with your search

Paddy

StuartA

Post by StuartA » Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:47 am

Hi Paddy and thanks very very much for doing all that!!
My Uncle confirmed his Granfather was Patrick hence my uncle Athony Patrick..
By the way, my father is Sylvestor Stanislaus Austin
SInce my original post i have found this also,,

George Austin / Margaret Haugh who were married in 1867 and who had the following children born in Carrigaholt on the Killballyowen Peninsula about 18 miles west of the town of Kilrush.

Patrick (is my Grt granfather) born 21 Dec 1867, Bridget born 26 Mar 1870 and Mary born 7 Sept 1871. They may possibly have had more children but that’s all the records that I can confirm for you at the moment.

George died in Kilrush on 3 Jan 1886 aged 60 so therefore born 1826 approximately, he was living in “The Glen” Kilrush at that time and was married at the time of death.

Margaret and her daughter Mary were living on the Cooraclare road, Kilrush, when the 1901 Census of Clare was done. The Cooraclare road is within a stone’s throw of The Glen. Margaret was aged 67 at that time and shown to be a widow. Mary was shown to be 28 but should have been shown to have been 30 if born in 1871. Census’s ages can be out by a couple of years from my experience. There was no sign of Patrick or Bridget in the 1901 Census but I may have to do a bit more research on that. I also don’t have a death record for Margaret as yet.

Patrick who was born in 1867 did not appear in the 1901 Census as I mentioned nor do I have a record of him marrying in Kilrush, could be that he moved away for awhile and came back and settled in Kilrush at a later date. You will have to get the marriage certificate of your grandfather John Austin to confirm that Patrick was indeed his father. I will discuss with you later where you can get that, I may be able to get it for you.

John Austin was born in Kilrush between Jul-Sept 1903 and died in Kilrush between Jul-Sept 1945 aged 42.

Kathleen Higgins was born in Kilrush between Oct-Dec 1903, again you will have to get her birth cert or marriage cert.

John Austin / Kathleen Higgins married in Kilrush between Oct-Dec 1923.

They had the following children that I know of :- Anthony P. Austin born between Oct- Dec 1932

John Austin born between Oct-Dec 1934

Catherine C. Austin born between Jan-March 1937

Joseph A. Austin born between Jul-Sept 1938

Stanislaus S. Austin born between Jan-Mar 1940

Those records are from the civil registration of births in Ireland which began in 1864. I’m pretty sure that I also have a spreadsheet somewhere in the house of the baptismal records which would give the exact dates of birth but I cannot find it at the moment. It’s possible that your father was indeed born in November 1939 but his birth may not have been registered with the civil authorities until the first quarter of 1940.

The following are two deaths of children with the Austin name whom I suspect may be of the same family as yours but I am not 100% sure.

Nora Austin died on 15 Aug 1924 aged 4 months, she was from Chapel Street, Kilrush, not far from Grace Street.

Phylis Austin died on 16 March 1938 aged 8, she was from Grace Street, Kilrush.

John Austin / Catherine Higgins had the following children baptised in Kilrush.

Veronica Teresa 5 Nov 1925

Mary Margaret 15 Sept 1927

Philomena 3 May 1930

Anthony Patrick 29 Nov 1932

John 3 Nov 1934

Joseph Augustine 19 May 1938

Sylveste 29 Nov 1939 (this must be your father)

Bernadette Anne 27 September 1941

John Austin / Kathleen Clohessy had the following children baptised in Kilrush.

Cath Caroline 19 Dec ?

Christina Anna 23 Dec 1928

Mary Joseph 23 Dec 1928 (these must be twins)

There was also a John Austin baptised on 13 July 1903 but the fathers name is not listed and the mother’s Christian name of Mary is only given possibly because whoever transcribed it couldn’t decipher the father or mother’s name from the register. This could possibly be your father John Austin. The year seems to be right anyway. These records are post 1900 and I know that there is an index of all the parish records from 1827 to 1900 in the parish office but I don’t know if I can get access to it.

There was a name change of a lot of the Streets in Kilrush back around the 1930’s although most of the people around here still refer to them by the old names. Nearly all the Streets of Kilrush were originally named after the Vandeleur family who were the local Landlords from the 1700’s until the late 1890’s. Grace Street was named after Lady Grace Vandeleur but was renamed Crawford Street in the 1930’s after IRA men who fought in the civil war of the 1920’s.

So, to confirm and dig deeper, i need to get a copy of John Austins Birth or Death Certificate he was born in Kilrush between Jul-Sept 1903..

Thanks for your help... this is all very confusing and i need to somehow get my head around it and maybe do the tree so i canunderstand :)
Any info is much appreciated!

pwaldron

Post by pwaldron » Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:29 am

Dear Stuart

You have found out an awful lot in the four days since your first post!

I'm curious to know who did the research which you quoted in your second post. I thought at first that I was reading a report from the Clare Heritage Centre in Corofin, but the `somewhere in the house' reference suggests that it was written by a private researcher in Kilrush.

I phoned a friend of mine in Kilkee last night and read out your query to him; he thought I read `Grace Street' rather than `Grey Street' but you have obviously already learned of that error!

Both myself and your other informant listed the Austin children with mother's maiden name Higgins recorded in Kilrush in the indexes to the birth registers; neither of us pointed out that the indexes did not include the mother's maiden name until around 1932, so this method would obviously miss the earlier children, whose details you now have from the baptismal register.

If you had not discovered that your greatgrandfather was Patrick Austin, I would have thought that the 1903 baptismal record of John born to Mary and unnamed father fitted well with my hunch above that `the Hickie family's servant had another child out of wedlock who took his mother's surname'.

Your grandfather's birth and marriage certificates will reveal all when you get them. I presume that you will also be ordering the 1867 marriage certificate of George Austin and Margaret Haugh to see who George's father was. Keep us posted.

Best wishes

Paddy W

StuartA

Post by StuartA » Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:43 am

Hi Paddy,
No it wasn't my report, i got help from a guy, his not a private researcher but knows alot about what his doing and did have personal records already about the Austins from a previous searches for other Austins..
Where would be the best place to order Patricks, Georges b.cert & george Austins & Margerets Higgins Marriage birth certificates..
I just need to find where i can get these at the cheapest prices. I just started this last week and already spent about £80 in certficates on all sides of the family :)

There is currrently a Paddy Austin whom still lives in Crawford Street (the old Grace St), he suffered a Heart Attack 6 months ago but apparently survived..
I was hoping he would be somehow related to me so when i visit Kilrush soon to see graves i discover, id like to pop in and have a cup of tea if he allows :)
I am struggling to find if any of my family are actually buried in Kilrush.. is it Breffa cemetery?

Now one thing.. Patrick J Austin seems to go missing and he isnt listed on any Ieland records around 1900,
I have since found by chance a record of a Patrick John Austin also born 1867 whom moved to Kirby near Liverpool for several years, he was living in a house with many others for which i didnt check their names.. It says he was a veternary surgeon but if he was anything like my father he would have made it up to look good to others (was a bit of a fibber) LMAO
he then moved back to Ireland but no record of where i just assume Kilrush..
I have checked everything twice just to be sure to be sure :mrgreen:

Thanks for your response Paddy,, It is much appreciated, this is all new to me but im relying on my ½ luck of the Irish :)

Regards
Stuart Austin

pwaldron

Post by pwaldron » Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:41 pm

I believe that you can order the certs using the form on the website at http://www.groireland.ie/ but I get them by visiting the office in the Irish Life Centre in Abbey Street in Dublin. There is a local office in Sandfield in Ennis where people in Clare get them. As far as I remember, the charge in Dublin is 4 euro per photocopy if you already have the name/year/quarter/union/volume/page reference from the pilot.familysearch.org website.

I think Shanakyle is the main cemetery for the town of Kilrush, but the Austins could be buried anywhere in west Clare, particularly if they originated `back in the west' as the Loop Head peninsula is called by Kilrush people. However, the Kilrush Youth Centre has a collection of transcriptions from most west Clare cemeteries. I believe that Gerry Rosbotham from Belfast looks after them. He never goes on holidays, but was on a day off when I visited last August, so I have never seen the records. You should probably phone him at +353 65 9052009 to arrange an appointment rather than just show up.

I presume you know that the 1911 Census of England and Wales has begun to go up at http://www.1911census.co.uk/ The closest match to the 1901 Patrick J Austin is a Patrick John Austin aged 41 in Tonbridge in Kent, born in Ireland. I didn't pay to view the original page which would reveal his occupation and confirm whether he was the veterinary surgeon with a different story about his age.

\pw

StuartA

Post by StuartA » Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:09 pm

Hi paddy,
thankyou,, ill give groireland a call tomorrow as i just missed them at 5:40pm :(
I just tried gerry's number but no answer so will try again a bit later..
I will order George Austin B.cert and patricks marriage cert and see where that takes me..
will keep u in the loop
Go raibh céad maith agat
Stuart

pwaldron

Post by pwaldron » Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:18 pm

Don't waste your time making any more phone calls until Wednesday.

Everything in Ireland will be closed on Tuesday, March 17, because it is St Patrick's Day!

StuartA

Post by StuartA » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:04 pm

Hi Paddy, i tried Gerry again today but no joy..
Ill keep trying and also groireland for John Austins B.C & George & Margeretes Marriage Certs as i missed them by 10 mins as i get in from work late and cant phone them on my mobile :)

moburke1

Post by moburke1 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:32 pm

Hi Paddy/ Stuart
Very interested in this thread as my paternal grandmother is an Austin from West clare. In particular the following
There were only 5 Austin marriages registered in Co. Clare between 1870 and 1903, two brides and three grooms.

The grooms were:

1. John m. 1871 Bridget Lynch (lived at Oughterard, close to Loop Head)

2. Thomas m. 1876

3. Thomas m. 1886 Bridget McMahon (lived at Doonaghboy, just outside Kilkee)

From reading your messages I believe the couple listed at number 3 are my great grandparents, i was wondering if you had come across any other information through your research on them...

Any information would be appreciated

Regards
Mo

StuartA

Post by StuartA » Sat Mar 28, 2009 4:32 pm

Hi Mo,,, i havent really found much on on Thomas M, might be related, might not..
my great great granfather was a George Austin.. if i hear anything or come across them ill post back and hope you do the same :)

moburke1

Post by moburke1 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:34 pm

Stuart,

Thanks for your reply........ just begining on my search.. will of course pass on anything which may refer to your relation..
Best of luck with your search...

Mo

pwaldron

Post by pwaldron » Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:33 pm

I was in Kilfearagh Cemetery outside Kilkee today and transcribed the following inscriptions from two separate stones on the Austin grave there:

1. Erected by
Mrs Austin Doonaghboy [sic]
in memory of her
beloved husband
Tom Austin
who died June 19th 1919
aged 74 years
R.I.P.

2. In loving memory of
Thomas Austin
Doonoughboy [sic] Kilkee
died 29 Nov 1960 aged 72
his wife Katherine
died 8 Sept 1966 aged 72
their daughter Mary Buckley
Birmingham
died 3 March 1982 aged 51
Rest in peace

miriam scahill

Post by miriam scahill » Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:10 pm

Hello Stuart - apologies for delay in replying - I couldn't log on - but got great help from the staff at Clare Library.
Yes, Paddy Austin living in Kilrush is your Uncle. I think other relations of his were home some years ago and found him.
You should visit him and have that cup of tea with him.!!
You will see from Bapt. Records of children of John & Kathleen (Catherine) Austin that the maiden name of Kathleen is shown as Higgins and also Clohessy. Kathleen also had a sister, Eileen, (Eiley), and they were both reared at High St., Kilrush, by their Grandmother, Mrs. Clohessy, as their Mother died when they were young. - See Census for Kilrush Urban - Ref. 103 - High St. to see the Clohessy family. Kathleen's Bapt. Cert./Birth Cert. will show her parents' names. Because the girls lived with the Clohessy family (their Grandparents) they were called Clohessy - hence the name on some of the Austin Bapt. Records.
Kathleen's sister, Eiley, lived at Pound St. - your Uncle Paddy will put you in touch with her children in Kilrush.
I think the name of the cemetery is Breaffa or Breagha - about 2 miles on Cooraclare side of Kilrush - down a byroad.!
Slan, Miriam.

miriam scahill

Post by miriam scahill » Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:21 pm

Hello Stuart - My apologies - I believe your Uncle Paddy died recently. RIP. I live in Dublin and do not always hear about deaths in Kilrush, However death notices are announced on Clare Fm = and my sister in U.S. says she heard about his death.
I am going to Kilrush next month and if I see your cousins I will tell them about you - and I will get back on line then.
God Bless, Miriam.