Looking for AUSTIN family FROM Kilrush co 'Clare

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

StuartA

Re: Looking for AUSTIN family FROM Kilrush co 'Clare

Post by StuartA » Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:16 pm

miriam scahill wrote:Hello Stuart - My apologies - I believe your Uncle Paddy died recently. RIP. I live in Dublin and do not always hear about deaths in Kilrush, However death notices are announced on Clare Fm = and my sister in U.S. says she heard about his death.
I am going to Kilrush next month and if I see your cousins I will tell them about you - and I will get back on line then.
God Bless, Miriam.
Hi Miriam and thank you so much for letting me know!
I had planned to go out 2 months ago but owing to problems at home we couldnt go and had planned to go in Sept. I was so hoping to see him as well..
If you can pass my info on to anyone there they may be related or even location of his death as to possibly visit his grave i would very much appreciate it!
I thank you again for passing the information on to me
my email address is "stuartaustin(AT)ntlworld.com"
Thanks

Stuart Austin

Paddy Casey

The website http://www.rip.ie/ lists some recent deaths

Post by Paddy Casey » Sat Jul 25, 2009 6:47 pm

For those wanting to keep up with events back home the website http://www.rip.ie/ lists some recent Irish deaths. Don't get excited, genealogists, it's not a genealogical goldmine because the earliest deaths recorded in this database are, as far as I can see, around 2006. However, the site might help some of those who are, for example, trying to locate family branches who stayed behind in Ireland when the rest emigrated.

I suppose it fits into the Clare Recent Past category.

Re. this particular thread, there is no Paddy Austin mentioned in this database but there is a Joseph Austin of Urlanbeg, Newmarket-on-Fergus, Clare, late of Doonaghboy, Kilkee, who died 23-Aug-2008.

Paddy

pwaldron

Post by pwaldron » Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:09 pm

I cannot find any mention of Paddy Austin's death in the Clare FM obituaries at http://www.clare.fm/obituaries; searching that site for austin (http://www.clare.fm/search/node/austin) produces only one hit, but I suspect that the archive goes back only to the latest redesign of the site in April this year.

I think that the Joseph Austin whose death last year was reported by Paddy C. was the son of Tom Austin of Doonaghboy and his wife Katherine Hanrahan.

For various reasons, including the fact that relatives are not charged for death notices published at http://www.rip.ie, I suspect that that site is extremely comprehensive in its coverage.

miriam scahill

Post by miriam scahill » Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:46 pm

Hello Stuart and Paddy - Great News ALLELUIA !!
I phoned a friend in Kilrush today and she confirmed that Uncle Paddy is alive and well. Thank God. !! She said there was a rumour in the town some time ago that he was dead. Another friend has not got a land line (mobile phone only - and I don't know no.) = so I cannot find out Uncle Paddy's address. I am going to Kilrush in two week's time and will check it out. I will also try to find out if your Grandmother has any connections with Higgins family living at Carrownacalla South - see Census of 1901 - Kilrush Rural Ref. 102.
You should visit in Sept. or Oct. - stopping off in Dublin to check records at offices at Irish Life Centre.

To see Kilrush at the time of your Grandparents - log on to http://www.clarelibrary.ie - and go to FOTO collections- search for Kilrush - Lawrence Collection (taken c. 1912 or so.) Moore St. is the street leading to Grace St. - As Paddy said most of the streets of Kilrush are called after the Landlord's family - e.g. Henry, Francis, John, Moore, Crofton and Hector.!! Also look at RAILWAY collection and search for 'West Clare Railway.'
God Bless, Miriam.

Paddy Casey

Post by Paddy Casey » Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:57 pm

Miriam,

Your ".....I phoned a friend in Kilrush today and she confirmed that Uncle Paddy is alive and well. Thank God. !! She said there was a rumour in the town some time ago that he was dead......" reminds me of Mark Twain's comment after hearing that his obituary had been published in the New York Journal ("The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated").

Paddy

StuartA

Post by StuartA » Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:56 pm

Lol Thanks guys/Gals, don't know whether to laugh or cry!
Well im not crying LOL

Looking forward to what come sof this and the replies after Kilrush visits.
I havent a clue where any of them are burried but even 1 is a god send!

Thanks

Stuart Austin

miriam scahill

Post by miriam scahill » Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:47 pm

Hello Stuart - I am just back from Kilrush and found out your Uncle Paddy's address - I will send it to your e mail. Miriam.

pwaldron

Post by pwaldron » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:32 pm

I just came across the marriage of a couple mentioned above, in the Carrigaholt register:

MARCH 5th 1867 GEORGE AUSTIN from CROSS
to MARGARET HAUGH from TULLIG
JOHN HOLLAND & KATE HAUGH Revd T McMahon ?

And baptisms of their children:

JANUARY 24th 1867 PATRICK AUSTIN from TULLIG
George AUSTIN & MARGARET HAUGH
PATRICK HAUGH & CATHERINE HAUGH

MARCH 27th 1870 BRIDGET AUSTIN from TULLIG
Geo. for George AUSTIN & MARGARET HAUGH
MARY FENNELL Revd Michael MEEHAN as M M

SEPTEMBER 8th 1871 MARY AUSTIN from TULLIG
GEORGE AUSTIN & MARGARET HAUGH
MARY RUSSELL INW written as M Meehan or Mc or O’Mahon ??

pwaldron

Post by pwaldron » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:55 pm

I have just been told that there is a photograph of Paddy Austin of Kilrush in tomorrow's Clare Champion (13 Jan 2012), but it doesn't appear to be included in the online extracts from the paper, so I haven't seen it yet.

pwaldron

Post by pwaldron » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:23 am

There is a new Austin query on the Ireland Reaching Out website.

UPDATE: The Ireland Reaching Out query was moved here before the Wayback Machine captured it.