Anthony Casey, Co Clare, Grocer. Transported Australia 1836

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

MOD

Anthony Casey, Co Clare, Grocer. Transported Australia 1836

Post by MOD » Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:23 pm

Can anyone tell me where I can find information relating to the trial of Anthony Casey (b.1786) of Co. Clare, for manslaughter. Trial took place in Dublin City in 1835 and he was transported to Australia on board the Waterloo in 1836. He was 50 years old and married. There is no record of him on the transportation database NLI and I believe that records pre-1836 were lost in the Four Courts fire. Are trial records available for this date and where. Any help would be appreciated.

smcarberry

Re: Anthony Casey, Co Clare, Grocer. Transported Australia 1836

Post by smcarberry » Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:28 pm

The first thing that occurred to me on your inquiry was a newspaper database, as the trial was likely written up in a local
newspaper in Clare or Galway (perhaps also Limerick, as this was a high-level offense), as well as Dublin. I checked the
Ireland Old News website, where Declan Barron posted some 1836 news articles from the Clare newspaper, but there was
nothing for this. You might try a website for London Times news articles, as those often reported serious incidents in
Ireland. In the category of crime, the conviction might have been included in a English Parliamentary report, which could
be searched on the EPPI website, which has many mentions of crimes by way of statistics, by year and maybe by month; if you're really fortunate, there may be a report on the trial itself, as those often describe who testified as to what evidence.

In terms of a Clare family historian who has done the same kind of research, I myself have not and no one else comes to mind after being on Clare genealogy boards for ten years. However, you might try likely search words in the Rootsweb Clare
list archives, if indeed someone posted in the past about this kind of research.

Here are my suggestions:
1. Be sure you have consulted all possible Australian records. Perhaps you have done this already and the results were
negative as to the trial date and other particulars. However a bit of quick surfing brought up this info on your Anthony
Casey:
Ship Waterloo - left Cork 21 May 1836 , arrived Sep 6th, also with convict Patrick Monks [a Clare-type name]
http://members.iinet.net.au/~perthdps/c ... pNSW2.html

Pardons (in 1843) to convicts arriving on the Waterloo in 1836:
http://www.records.nsw.gov.au/state-arc ... form?id=19

Ticket of Leave index info for Anthony Casey:
http://web.ecorner.com.au/epages/sag.st ... cts/506721
and another ticket for same man:
http://web.ecorner.com.au/epages/sag.st ... cts/506720
"Further information is available from most of the Ticket of Leave butts. In particular, a description of the convict -
height, complexion, hair and eye colour, and other identifying information such as scars, tattoos etc; details of the
offence, trial and sentence; and annotations of changes made to the ticket's conditions." (info on website)

Other resources:
http://www.genealogylinks.net/australia ... nvicts.htm

On UK version of Ancestry.com:
"About New South Wales and Tasmania, Australia Convict Musters, 1806-1849
Musters were conducted periodically as a means for keeping track of and enumerating convicts in the colony. The first
muster was held in 1795. General musters usually included both convicts and ex-convicts. This database contains muster
and convict lists for New South Wales (1806, 1811, 1822-1825, 1837) and Van Diemens Land (Tasmania) (1808-1849).
Information listed in these records can include: name of convict, name of ship of arrival, date of arrival, where tried, date
of trial, and sentence."

Reakes, J., comp. Australian Convict Index, 1788-1868 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: The Generations Network,
Inc., 2001. Original data: 1788-1868 Convict Records. Records kept at the New South Wales State Records Office, P.O.
Box R625, Royal Exchange, NSW 2000; at the Archives Office of Tasmania, 77 Murray St., Hobart, TAS 7000; and at the
State Records Office of Western Australia, Alexander Library, Perth Cultural Centre, Perth, WA 6000.

2. After hopefully obtaining a trial date, you can then inquire at the Dublin City Library whether there are any indexes there
dealing with criminal offenses or imprisonment prior to being shipped out, as well as ways to search Dublin newspapers.
You are also then in a position to hire a researcher, such as Declan Barron, to look up news in the local Clare-area
newspapers, on file in libraries of the region.

3. In the end, I hope you write up your results in an article for inclusion in a local historically-oriented journal, since there
are likely many more descendants who need how to do this type of research.

Sharon Carberry USA

MOD

Re: Anthony Casey, Co Clare, Grocer. Transported Australia 1836

Post by MOD » Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:49 pm

Sharon,
Many thanks for all that information. I have undertaken several of the suggestions you made and already have got a considerable amount of extra information back on Anthony Casey, some of it from as far as Australia! I will certainly compile all that I get and make it available for others researching the Casey name. Thanks again, really appreciated. M